Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Mirrored Enchantment] Mirror Mirror on the Shield, who is the King of the Battlefield?
As it stands, the mirrored enchantment, when looking at the numbers, is pretty strong.

Provided you do not have a guardbreak - IE, you aren't an Evoker or Duelist or it's promo classes, or running Light Tomahawk from Martial Artist, you will likely always lose the damage race against someone with this enchantment on a shield. Why?

3m attack, 3m attack, 1m guard. Assuming this person has 100 SWA, and for the sake of demonstration, is using two skills that do 100% SWA damage - they've done 200 damage to you. Let's assume you also have 100 SWA. You attack twice with a melee weapon, taking 100 damage on top of dealing 200. Who wins? Them. They'll always win by 100 damage. And that's not even factoring in the 10% damage reduction given by that guard, which further tips the damage in the shield-user's favour.

In the real game, yes, this sort of scenario doesn't exactly happen, the numbers are much more convoluted and there are workarounds - all three main melee weapon types (sword, axe, spear) have access to a singular guardbreak. So do fists. However Light Tomahawk is easily exchanged for more useful skills from promo classes and the like, and all three guardbreaks for main melee weapon types are tied solely to Duelist. Lance De Lion, Wazabane with Kensei Combo, and Reaper Scythe.

The real meat of the issue is that if you're using a melee weapon and aren't a duelist with access to one of these skills, you're effectively doomed - the opponent always has a 100 or less damage advantage on you on top of being able to attack normally. Against mages or archers, yes - this enchantment has no affect whatsoever. There are a number of arguments people can throw against this, such as shields negating two-handed bonuses, the enchantment also reducing reflected damage by 75% - but 10 or 20 extra SWA isn't a bad price to pay being able to spend 100 to potentially deal 100 damage, and forcing people to use an enchantment just to stand a better chance is not fun.

I propose that the enchantment applies only when 3 or more momentum has been used to guard. That way, it's the same cost as most attacks, and still has a use in making your guard more threatening. It'd encourage those without guardbreaks to go for knockdowns or force movement so that if they want to guard for the reflection damage they lose out on an attack. Counter-play established.

Maybe this isn't the best way to go about it, but I feel like having an enchantment so rigidly dependant on guardbreaks or a certain type of weaponry or class to circumvent it's strong benefit isn't fun to deal with.
number 1 GTer EU
It should retain the ability to reflect damage on 1m guarding as guarding with 3-6m is usually never worth the momentum investment, 1 2 and 7 are the defining momentum economic options, also guarding with anything above 1m is usually spoiled by a random guard break or knockdown and feels bad, But I do agree the enchant is a little bit strong regardless of this.

Currently I like the enchantment because it breaks away from the monotonous cycle of slap bloody palms onto x character and call it a day. Gives worth to shieldy bois in Soldier currently as running a shield is generally not worth it over the prospect of bloody palms 2handed sword. But the enchantment is essentially free for builds that'd use a shield and non-2handed weapon otherwise like a tome, fist or dagger.

First off more counterplay options need to be presented currently, guard break is accessible to select classes and shouldn't be the only one of the few good answers, there should be a 3rd and 4th way to help mitigate or prevent its damage.

-The damage ratio should be tweaked to be related to the guard level, something like it reflects 2*Guard LV% of damage (To a cap of 50%) up to a cap of 50 damage.

-Enable Ghosthands to prevent the reflected damage of this enchant entirely, this is technically not a bug but could be a feature.

-Projectile based skills (IE Anything reflected by a mirror) should count as ranged for the enchantment and be prevented from triggering its effect.

Something like that probably, I like the enchantment but recognize how strong it is too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Autumn's post:
  • Noxid
I won't offer anything extensive since the original poster did a good job of framing the uncanny momentum to damage efficiency of the enchantment. I will, however, say that I agree with the points they made -- and that the damage reflection needs to either be less potent or require more momentum investment from the character using the enchant.

JamOfBoy post_id=40169 time=1592574100 user_id=2180 Wrote:The real meat of the issue is that if you're using a melee weapon and aren't a duelist with access to one of these skills, you're effectively doomed

Even if this might sound like hyperbole, it's not far from the truth. Outside of extensively annoying kiting/healing, the raw value of the enchantment can be insurmountable without an ''I ignore this guard'' button.