Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rouge Rogue ...Rumble.
One thing that has bothered me abit is how... different? base Rogue is from it's subclasses. The base class feels very utility wise, right? Which is how it should be, even if it's a little bit basic and underwhelming compared to some other base classes imo. But, Spellthief and Void Assassin both toss that away for the sake of relying on magic/void. And let's uh, not get into engineer for now.
Playing a FF campaign recently has made me notice that most of a Ninja's or Rogue's subclasses/promotions, if not all of them, are utility based. With only one that relies on magic (Shinobi). And so, I ask of this: A utility based subclass of Rogue, something unlike what we've gotten so far, something that actually FEELS rogue and not 'dagger mage with extra steps'. Something like... a Ninja.
Am I doing this because I play a traditional ninja and have no clue what to build him as without being fucked over because he has a distaste for magic and all rogue subclasses heavily rely on their use of magic one way or another and it wouldn't make sense icly or oocly? Am I doing it because I'm underwhelmed by the state of rogue since it was the first class I ever played when I first played this game over 2 years ago? Am I doing it because I'm impressed and confused as to why we never had a subclass that has the same feel as base rogue? All of the above.

Please move Engineer and Magic Gunner into their own class or something, maybe they can both (and detective) be subclasses of a new base class or something? idk

In conclusion, make Rogue great (again?)
[Image: tumblr_p8bmjgZdqv1qc5j12o1_400.gif]
[Image: 182.gif]
That wouldn't be a bad idea at all.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
To be honest, from my understanding, all of the advanced classes are basically meant to be a whole new class with new perspectives, with only one key thing connecting it back to the base class. Spellthief and Void Assassin are supposed to rely on deception (illusion spells, some of the dagger skills for Spellthief) and underhanded attacks (Cutthroat, basically all of the void), the essence of a "rogue" kind of character. On the other hand, Engineer loosely fits the kind of a different kind of "rogue" character - someone that gets other things to do the job for him, while being ready to throw down himself if the need arises. (that and throwing bombs and traps around generally sounds like a pretty rogue-like thing to me at least) Similar stuff comes up with things in other classes, too. So, I think that the class makes sense from a sort of character building perspective, it just mechanically doesn't quite connect with everything else aside from the Wind buffs it can provide.

Aside from that, very few promotion classes actually have a sort of "no magic, no special power, just skill" kind of thing, I feel. Kensei and Arbalest are about the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. So, it probably wouldn't be bad to have something that gives off the same kind of feeling in a class. I just disagree with the idea of messing with existing builds for that to be done, really, that's about it.