Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Opinion on the Guard System
Having been the Marshal of Dormememe for half a year, and having been a background guard and trainee for longer. Then I can offer a great deal of insight to both sides of the argument. I will state clearly that Guards are often eating beans in the worst way in the eyes of the community. They try their best but overall motivation among guards is perpetually low.

---

1. Guards are largely ineffective as a police force, few of the people that commit recognize them as a threat and more often than not they are disregarded by problem players. On several occasions I have seen guards actions be ignored, posts 'lost' and the general response to them tends to be incredibly rude. I have participated and also experienced it as a spectator. I have also witnessed Vampires attempt to commit suicide in Arjav to escape a day of jail time.

Our punishments are literally soft bans, but when you consider the treatment of guards. Some of them would better be served actual bans.

2. People actively keep things from the Guards and Governments in the game. Largely because we are unaware of which GM, or if the GM's have any control of Governments, guards, etc. In any continent besides Sigrogana. The fact it was unclear that there were guards on the other continents is a testimony to just how ill informed the playerbase is in regards to the people who are supposed to be policing us.

3. The Guards shouldn't be actively tackling things out in the wilderness unless someone made the effort to escape and call for them. While I don't want murderhobos running around with any more freedom than we already allow them. But well thought out scenes meant to start off an antags story by harming a passerby or two, are often derailed by a ganksquad rolling up and hammering the threat into dust. It scares the playerbase from playing antagonists of any shape or form. Though it is not the only reason.

4. Guard loyalty can be questionable. Many Guards are also the antagonists we are often called to arrest or oppose, this can't be helped considering the total number of the playerbase. However it is incredibly discouraging when you show up to arrest some big bads, only to see three of your friends playing the goons of the opposition. While this hasn't actively happened to me, it has happened to Lokus, Hoot, etc. This alone can be discouraging.

5. We've had several situations where guards during peak hours have been unavailable. Meaning the Militia had to spend a good hour or two sitting on our hands with a player who had committed a crime ICly. Typically they were accepting of being thrown in a playerhouse for two hours. However when guards do not show up, we have no real means in the cities outside Cellsvich to deal with them in a mechanical sense.

6. Guard Recruitment needs a solid reform. Poor Amber was overworked, overlooked, and over encumbered with training us and scheduling lessons. I had to wake up at noon when I had signed up for Guard Shifts at 1-3am my time. This was problematic to all involved. Please give our Trainer and Mark a round of applause for getting us over the finish line. PLEASE.

------

Here are suggestions to resolve some of the issues at play.

1. Guards should be allowed after a serious fight to lock player down. Essentially a debuff to keep them at 1/100 HP while they are in custody.

2. The other cities should be allowed to have their own prisons. So that the Militia of Dormeho, Tannis, Voilegard can be self sufficient, and it would give them more reason to be active. While oversight from the guards should be present.

3. Guards who are playing Antagonist Alts. Should be required to give their comrades a heads up before events.

4. The active guards need to be rewarded internally more often, and with more authority. A rank reform should also be instituted, there are several ranks that are unused and that is a shame.
[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Balor's post:
  • Snake

Messages In This Thread
General Opinion on the Guard System - by Aqua - 11-02-2020, 12:09 PM
RE: General Opinion on the Guard System - by Balor - 11-03-2020, 12:59 PM
RE: General Opinion on the Guard System - by Aqua - 11-05-2020, 01:57 PM