Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Opinion on the Guard System
Now that a few people have given their insight of this I'm finally going to give my point, please do take into account that this may be biased due to be being a guard myself as well as been someone has been arrested. Most of what I'll be posting will be things I've mentioned to Mark when he enquired with the Majority of the guards if not all of them 6 months ago.

Being a guard is a chore and is more like babysitting/a security camera

As it stands at this current moment it currently feels like a chore if not is a chore which shows no sign of changing anytime soon. You clock in for hours where you stand for hours before you clock out, during that watch, it's usually always 'same shit, different day' scenario. By this, I mean general square talk with the occasional IC muppet that decides to break the law or whatnot, this is not saying that's a bad thing since that's quite literally our jobs to handle. If it's not that it's 3 AM- 4 AM pings where someone decided to hold someone hostage because they didn't like something or something petty.

It's plain boring to say the upmost least about it. Of course, as stated in a previous post above once you have successfully gotten through the trainee programme, something else I'll discuss a little about in this post, you are automatically put into the highest-ranking position you can be, which is the first Squad. There is little to no choice what so ever what type of guard you can be. For those that don't know, as stated we have several branches for Sigrogana's Guardship. Seekers, Launchers and Inquisitors. These all have there own tasks within the guard but there is no way to actually be one without having a First Squadder. Your ICly and OOCly expected to be competent in PVP as well as fall inline otherwise the general opinion boils down to being disappointed in the Individual.

Trainee Programme

This was started up back in 2018 by a now-former member of the Imperial guard player in a way so people didn't have to apply for it. Its basic function was to provide those without the knowledge of how to become an Imperial guard with good knowledge of becoming one. As someone who went through that batch in 2018 along with people such as Mark and Iggy, it took way too long to even process or things to be done. Back then the groups were much bigger then they are now which is still a problem. However back then it only took as long as it did due to both our Trainee Leaders ended up quitting (for perfectly fair reasons). Coming to the back end of 2019 when we had the latest batch of trainee's we trialled something different, that being a Trainee/Mentor approach, however, this just ended up being left to very few of the Mentor guards to progress it, which to them is unfair so props to those who did actively put their time into helping get the trainees through into the guardship.

This could use some reworking as a whole to which I'm sure many of the existing guards will agree on but this definitely needs a rework if this is ever going to work. Another thing which I feel is pretty discouraging for players is there is a lack of being informed if you were accepted into the Trainee Programme, I've seen this to be the case for a few people and to be honest it's completely fair. There is a clear lack of this which I feel needs to change. Hitting up those that didn't get into the trainee stuff would at least ease their minds.

One suggestion I've been thinking of is rather than having trainee apps retcon those who have already applied, I feel it may be better to keep those applications and work from them, of course leaving Trainee Applications open yearly rather than at a random time for x amount of time. For example:

Batch 1: 6 trainees
Batch 2: 6 Trainees (These would be from applications of when the first batch went up) etc, this can all be kept track of either on a Discord server or a Google spreadsheet.

Of course, this is the first I've really brought this suggestion publically if at all so it's a first any of the guards has heard of it. This would, of course, all be decided ICly to give people ample and fair chance.

Arjav & IC Punishments

As it currently stands this is considered a soft ban to most people, which in all honesty is. We've changed IC punishments recently to reflect lower Arjav times and even Introduced community services. To be fair we should actually be making use of the Community services that came into action, I haven't really seen them used other than one or two occasions for minor things. There's really nothing to do in Arjav, your lucky if you have much roleplay in there given how many people are actually discouraged to break the law.

We've lessened the time in which someone can be in Arjav to a week at max and introduced community services which I've stated above. This system went into place when the recent trainee batch was brought in, however, community services haven't been used what so ever for the most part. Fines have also been discussed but so far they haven't been implemented but a few of us are pushing for them to be a thing, trust us we're doing our best to get that implemented instead having to deal with a soft ban.

Other than that there isn't really much more I can say on this that hasn't already been said.

Other Guardships locked behind being a Member of First Squad

As some of you are aware or are not aware there are other guardships within the game, which without the suggestion from Moira a while back, no one would be aware of, to combat this I put up a thread (https://neus-projects.net/forums/showthr...p?tid=6720) detailing such guardships and the general area's they have the authority over. However, the fact that to even become a member of any other guardship you have to be a guard in Sigrogana is a pain in the ass. It doesn't give the community the opportunity to play members of an 'official' group which I feel is unfair. My suggestion for this is making all Law enforcements not locked behind Imperial guard membership to promote more RP, and heck maybe we'll see other places more active. I feel this would be a great start along with Player's being able to be Guard commanders now.

Quote:Also, when even remotely sniff or think about joining the guard. Many people warn me not too-- Even other guard players. Which is also pretty demotivating and somewhat adds to my somewhat negative perception of things.

Yeah, I can see where this is coming from, I'm a huge culprit for doing so, however, it's more an opinion based on how much salt we get. So I wouldn't let that discourage you from trying. Don't knock it till you try it really.

Quote:Im unsure if I'd fit in being my status of not being some PvP metalord, but I certainly would not mind giving it a shot at some point in the future. Even if its a less combat-oriented role. Which-- from what I've seen, there's plenty of mostly unused ranks as people have stated.

Yeah, a lot of people have got this opinion and it's not quite true. You don't have to be some PVP metalord to be a guard but you are expected to have PVP competent builds for First Squad, which I understand is very demotivating for people. Play what's fun for you is all I can suggest and hopefully we can push for things like seekers and the likes be something you can opt into.

Quote:For example, I had a character that was attacked in the middle of Dormeho and guards showed up and arrested my character for being attacked. They literally were not fighting back, had a max size setting sun dropped on them, and we're just trying to de-escalate the situation as they knew the other person that was going apeshit in question and they got arrested after being put to half HP and never once having fought back. Oh and, that person that assaulted me? They weren't apprehended LUL. I'm not blaming the guards in question because the system facilitates this, but it leads to some absolutely backwards as fuck shit. Guards don't show up and take statements, they just dole out arrests, especially if the court of public opinion has determined a bad guy before the guards arrive at the scene.

As a guard who was there (not actively handling it and on another character on that key) there is nothing more I can say that hasn't already been said. It's common knowledge that if you feel a guard is doing something wrong, you can take it to Chaos with logs. The attack on you by the said shaitan was in fact instigated by your own actions and several people saw it. You were even ICly asked to leave them alone but you didn't, thusly the actions that happened were brought on you by your own doing. The shaitan was also warned if that's not good enough by your standards I'm sorry but that's how things went ICly.

Quote:People actively keep things from the Guards and Governments in the game. Largely because we are unaware of which GM, or if the GM's have any control of Governments, guards, etc. In any continent besides Sigrogana. The fact it was unclear that there were guards on the other continents is a testimony to just how ill-informed the player base is in regards to the people who are supposed to be policing us.

People keeping things from us a huge problem, it just proves my point of being a lose-lose situation for us guards. However, hopefully, the thread I've linked lessens the ill-informing of the player base and hopefully, it gets pinned.

Other than that there is nothing more I can say on the topic.
[Image: Empress_of_Light.gif]

Messages In This Thread
General Opinion on the Guard System - by Aqua - 11-02-2020, 12:09 PM
RE: General Opinion on the Guard System - by Aqua - 11-05-2020, 01:57 PM