Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
First Draft - Conflict Guidelines & Scene Locking Rules
A lot of people seem to like the rules as they're established, but I must disagree whole-heartedly. This seems rather... hand-holdy? Very 'we must protect the victim'-esque, which would compound on an issue we see ICly-- People that are all talk, and never see any punishment. I'm guilty of it, myself. My character, Anko, is often HORRID to people, with little repercussion. Also, another problem markedly isn't solved by this. Allow me to explain.

Sure, scene-locking is great. It prevents people from getting jumped for being antagonists... But the issue of your antagonist being snuffed out soon after isn't really solved? The victim, understandably, goes to the guards-- And in a system that doesn't have a solid 'innocent until proven guilty' foundation, you're GOING to be arrested. 9 times out of 10, you'll be arrested even if there's no witness, etc. You mentioned in another post some other possibilities for punishments other than our current soft-ban system, but I feel the initial arrest is more important, personally. That being said, the scene locking does seem like an excellent start.

However. My biggest issues lie in the 1-4 level of consent needed to do literally anything to anyone. The world isn't always going to ask for consent, and I feel like roleplay should be the same way. Sure, consenting to death is a necessary measure, but I'm unclear-- Do you need consent to be in ANY conflict, or any conflict above level 1? Because if it's any conflict, that's just... unreasonable. You shouldn't be just told 'nah not today chief' in LOOC and have your entire encounter scrapped. Or have to break IC to walk off because someone magically has plot-armor. And further than that, say there's a lasting conflict between two characters that would warrant serious fighting (and intent to kill / maim) with plenty of backing and reason for said conflict. You shouldn't just be able to opt out of more serious injury if you've been having serious enough conflict with a person to warrant such a thing.

You'd be able to just be a wall-flower that shit-talks, be an annoyance and expect nothing to come of it until you accidentally cross that line of it being harassment (for which you suddenly get arrested for).

That being said, I'm a strong advocate of keeping robbery-type RP away from OOC possessions. Those take real life time to get, and even if the listed requirements to be given are rather light, it still seems like something I feel should be kept to IC possessions only, without OOCly passing things over. That's more of a personal gripe, though, rather than something I see becoming an issue.

A passing note on the 'rules of avoidance' clause, I feel it's unreasonable to expect characters to not be on the same map, with how few maps see meaningful player presence. Keeping it as 'don't antagonize eachother' should be enough.

I'm also a bit iffy on the Vampire suicide bit, but that's just a personal gut feeling, I won't really touch on that now. Those are my thoughts on it.
[Image: unknown.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: First Draft - Conflict Guidelines & Scene Locking Rules - by Mr.SmileGod - 11-10-2020, 03:12 AM