Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Victoria Freeman, Request for special weapon
I've been mulling this one over since it covers a couple interesting questions:

- How far should someone be allowed to change a weapon?

- Should illusions that make people believe they've been harmed actually be mechanically utilized?

As for the first one, my opinion is that using mental illusions as your literal weapon is probably too abstract to allow. It'd be one thing to have a gun and use illusions to mask it or make others believe it's shots are coming from a different angle with illusion-based arcane shells, but I think it alone being broad illusions is questionable.

For the second one, I'd say it's ultimately a case of "can illusions be used to cause actual harm" to which would be no.

The reason why I think it's a problem is thus: If you cast a fireball at someone, they will be burned. If you make someone believe they've been hit by a fireball instead, they will only think they've been burned but if they know they're under an illusion and resist it, the damage would be no more, which is something that can't really be reflected properly in combat.

Again, I think it's one thing to use illusions to misdirect with actual skills to fight or use established illusionary skills (like the ones from Spellthief) or use non-damaging skills RP'd as illusions but I don't think illusions causing illusory harm works for mechanical combat. As for RP combat or scenarios? Sure, that would be acceptable.
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Victoria Freeman, Request for special weapon - by Slydria - 11-14-2020, 01:44 AM