Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tayuya Rhul - Gift of Belorage
Applicable BYOND Key - Comic Sans MS

Character Name - Tayuya Rhul

Request Type - Unique interpretations of game concepts.

Request Details -  Hello there, it's your boy! I'm after clearance for roleplaying a current combination of powers for my character that's summarized into a single blessing named 'Gift of Belorage'. In shallow details, the embodiment of a Wyvern's racial powers to a different race, Lupine, in addition to Monk and Firebird being taken into a different direction, while still revolving around their archetype.

Roleplay-wise:
- This grants a notable resistance to all forms of poison and the ability to purge it from oneself.
- The ability to speak and comprehend draconian language.
- The ability to transform polearms by imbuing them with the blessing for as long as it is being wielded by the blessed in question. The result is the temporary creation of a 'draconic spear', which reverts to normal if not held or powered for longer than fifteen minutes by the blessed.
- The ability to materialize a chitin-like black armor through magic through the same method. The process, unlike the spear, takes a while to go through.

Mechanically:
- I would see the whole blessing as 'Monk', the class. The 'Ki' part is any additional power that can be drawn from the blessing. And since things there are already fashioned as 'dragons', it makes all the more 'dragoon'-ish for me, which is great!
- Firebird's magical feathers do not exist in this case, they're just lingering, frost-like energy wisps that swirl around whenever a nimble maneuver is done.

Limitations:
- The blessing only lasts as long as the Wyvern is alive.
- Cannot be passed down through generations, stolen or undone by anything without the same height of power as a Wyvern or higher.
- The power itself behaves similarly to Ki, where concentration, stamina and Focus is required to maintain it. So things that 'nullify' or provoke 'interference' might disrupt the power, as well as exhausting the user.

- The Wyvern patron, 'Belorage', does not care about the wielder of their gift, it shares no sentimental ties therefore they will not feel compelled to help Tayuya at all, nor think of them as nothing but an asset to be used.

Reason why you are making this request (if applicable) - My character's backstory is mostly the reason for this request, given how I built them mechanically and conceptually. It's also a way to check if the such could be applicable as a 'baseline' for 'Wyvern Hunters' or 'Dragoons'. A concept that involves making a blood pact with a Wyvern to get a small fragment of their power embedded onto one's soul, in so to give humanoid races a small chance to fight against their kind.

I have put it on plural because it would probably take multiple Wyvern Hunters to take a single one down, I expect. Sadly, Lore is a little unclear on the capabilities of those beasts. Thus why the application is so bold too. But trust me, I mean no harm.

Roleplay & Lore supporting your request -

Roleplay-wise, I don't think I could provide much about it, the character was made before applications were a thing and I never really came to discuss about it overall with any GMs, which is my fault and I'm terribly sorry about it, but I tried to stay as clean and true to the lore as possible. It was said once that Wyverns exist and there are even riders of them, so it wouldn't be farfetched to have someone sell their soul to one for power, right? Thus there's where my character came from.

Wyverns are not solely monsters. They can transform into humans and thus allows communication to be made, and so can (probably) share values and ideals with people. This way it makes it easier for them to be persuaded into striking deals or making pacts if such arises. And given their immense power compared to a normal player, something like a 'gift' would not be more than a pocket change to grant another person, in exchange of a new lackey.

Wyverns are also magical entities with mastery of magic which players have no access to, so it's believable that a lifetime blessing/pact would not be hard to be made as long as the trust of one is earned. I also picture that naturally, a single Wyvern would only want a single knight in its stead, in so to not make this so dumb as for having Wyverns giving out free hand-outs of power for anyone who they like or not.

I'm always open for discussion about it, so if there are any concerns or questions for clarification, please hit me up ASAP in Discord. I'm pretty sure you all already know it so yeah.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
Okay, I've spoken to Kunai about this in DMs and there's a lot to it though, even with the irrelevant stuff said cut out. But if you don't wanna read it all, just skip to the bottom where it has more specifics on what the effects of it all are, but yes, I've approved this.

Quote:Slydria: I'm of the opinion that aside from things that are strictly coherent on something (e.g. healing magic is like 99% mercana, void magic can only really be void related), flavouring things as other things (in this case ki as being a more "wyvern-based" force) or having other sources is acceptable.

Quote:Slydria: I'm not sure on what basis you say Wyverns have a mastery of magic players have no access to.

What we know about Wyverns is that they are brute creatures of great strength, potent poisons that they can use to harm and empower themselves, capable of flight and near if not straight up human intelligence and can shift into a human form.

I guess it just begs the question how can they bestow their own power aside from birthing Wyverntouched?

Quote:Kunai: I've been thinking of two ways, so far through a blood ritual that could be possible utilizing a part of the Wyvern as a catalyst, like their tail or whatever. The fact I wished to keep the Wyvern alive as well, to not sound so pretentious as to say 'hey I bodied one of these OP beasts and took its power'. I'm a lot limited on 'how-do' here to work from.

Unless it's like, possible to say that I could become a Wyvern Slayer of some sort and gain IC boons when fighting them, but I don't wanna be greedy or attract other people's eyes to my stuff.

Quote:Slydria: I feel like there'd probably need to be a bigger offering than some blood in the first case. If this were a concept, you'd think there would be a large reason as to why 99.9% of Zerans don't do such a thing. Which would probably either mean some kind of difficulty with the procedure or other kind of hurdle to doing such a thing.

Quote:Kunai: Do you have any snippets of suggestions?

Quote:Slydria: I liked the sound of them being a catalyst, I think that follows given how many bosses offer magical catalysts when you kill them. A powerful wyvern may be able to offer a similar thing when killed (or ideally freely given in this case) but yeah, it may be an instance of there being a multiple step procedure to accomplish this and of course the Wyvern being able to trust you enough to give this "catalyst."

Quote:Kunai: Then the final step is preparing the ritual, going through it, and fshh. Steamy and warm out of the basket. A Firebird specialized in combatting Wyverns, or equally large monsters. Which also opens room to wonder about another thing.

How many Wyvern Riders even exist? And I bet Wyvern Hunters would be overshadowed by those since unlike these solo spear fighters, the riders can kinda just pat pat and order their friends to ruin everything in sight.

Quote:Slydria: I don't know how many exist unfortunately. But I would imagine a fairly sizeable force. Probably thousands.

Quote:Kunai: Which means it might be easier than trying to become a slayer. Maybe for a good reason. That might cover why it's not preferred then.

Quote:Slydria: May still require some ironing out on the "specifics of the ritual" so to speak.

Quote:Kunai: Probably something done with the aid of the Mage's Guild from Alstalsia. Enchanting is turning a catalyst into a quality or power, but the hardest part in it is getting the materials. I'd say it would not be easy for even those professionals and that would cost also some Murai, and have the risk of being botched due to how delicate it is.

Which, makes it take another roundtrip around the world to harvest again what they lost.

Quote:Slydria: I know Dev mentioned catalysts aren't forever either. It may be something that yeah, after like a year or two, you may need to go pilgrimage for the resources to do it again.

though since it's already annoying, probably longer than that

Quote:Kunai: Any way to refuel them to skip the hassle?

The character's like a generalized Monster Hunter so they're constantly shanking big things.

Quote:Slydria: I'm not sure if there would be aside from redoing the ritual every X number of years.

Quote:Kunai: Depending on the timespan that's probably alright. I'd use Vampire's baseline of seven years. It also gives Alstalsia enough time to regrow its 'harvested resources'.

The reason I wanted a way to prolong was to make a nice mechanic of 'It lasts four to five years if you're being idle and retired, but longer if you're constantly fighting and absorbing essence through a soul jar'.

Quote:Slydria: I mean perhaps if you're fighting things that consist of the same materials you used for the ritual, it'd prolong it a bit but probably not to a large degree. (aka no matter how much slaying you do, a proper re-enchantment would need to be done eventually)

Just a matter of figuring out what your monster armor/spear consists of other than wyvern.

Quote:Kunai:

Airborne manipulation
- Creation of Glyphs to maneuver on, like Cobra Stance's Winged Serpent. (To stay airborne)
- Featherfall enchantment to control the height before dropping.
- Empowerment of legs for inhuman mobility. (Shukuchi)
Requires Feathers from flying monsters. So Harpies, Feathered Serpents, Wings of Fire(?), etc.

Lingering frost cloak ('Magical Feathers')
- Resistance against Fire. (Mechanical/IC)
- Minor resistance against Ice. (IC)
- Lower temperature increases attack potency. (Mechanical/IC)
Requires parts from Grindylows, or the fur of similar monsters, like Ice Giants or Fenrirberus.

Wyvern's gift
- Resistance against Poison. (IC)
- Self-purging of Poison. (IC/Mechanical)
- Ki in general, being a mixture of her own and the catalyst's force. So using Monk skills become flavored after spear attacks.
- Ki Awoken is drawing more power from the blessing instead of balancing it out, which just makes her drop to a knee and regenerate in pain. (This is the stun mayellia meme, which I found cool to be seen as 'something she can't hold for too long before it overwhelms her'.)

The 'draconic spear' and 'draconic armor'
- I don't see either of those enacting as more than effective ways of channelling power through them. So while one would need to concentrate to project a small aura around their armor to increase its durability, these enchantments allow the user's focus to coat them more naturally without 'draining'. Like an extension.
- Unlike feen shot, the reason to be a 'slayer' is more on technique than 'having a weapon that 1shots wyverns'.

Quote:Slydria: Yeah, I think that sounds fine.
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]