Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
(Writers Read Me Please) What do you want from Roleplay?
Mom said it is my turn to post one of these:

OpinionsOpinionsOpinionsOpinionsOpinions
pinionsOpinionsOpinionsOpinionsOpinionsO
inionsOpinionsOpinionsOpinionsOpinionsOp
nionsOpinionsOpinionsOpinionsOpinionsOpi
ionsOpinionsOpinionsOpinionsOpinionsOpin
onsOpinionsOpinionsOpinionsOpinionsOpini
nsOpinionsOpinionsOpinionsOpinionsOpinio
sOpinionsOpinionsOpinionsOpinionsOpinion
OpinionsOpinionsOpinionsOpinionsOpinions

With that out of the way. One of the problems stated in these threads is the state 'of' roleplaying. The 'community' is blamed countless times for this, and while I've a bone or two to pick with it myself about taking opportunities that present themselves for granted, none of us can ultimately blame people for what they enjoy - and you definitely cannot 'fix' a community. But you can try to understand it - with a little group introspection.

The purpose of this thread is to reach out to all of us, to challenge each and every one of us to look inwardly and ask ourselves the crucial question. I know, you might be thinking: "Jupiter, that's stupid, we obviously know what we want." - Knowing it and putting it into words are two different things. This is a technique that many counselors use to help others to better visualize their own problems and therefore take positive steps.

Before you say, "I don't have a problem," the last fifty threads suggest otherwise. It's not a sickness, no, but our needs are not being met - by others, and ourselves.

DISCLAIMER(S):

1. The purpose of this thread is NOT to ridicule others for what they personally enjoy, NOR is it to shame others for being 'casual' or 'elitist'.

2. Please do not post what you want others to do for you. Explain only what you log onto the game for, what goes through your mind when you make a character, and what you hope to do with them whenever you head out into the big wide world!

3. Eventmins, GMs and Non-Staff Event Managers (hi) are encouraged to read this, however you should be aware that it takes a lot of work to set such things up, and generally writers will go for what they themselves are passionate about, first and foremost - we need to get something out of our stories too (i.e. sharing our creativity with others and seeing them interacting with it). So it's not always possible for somebody to address your needs exactly, but they can get a general sense for what aspects of the story are worth investing the most into, in order to make it as accomodating as possible to you guys.

With the third part aside, I'm hoping that in writing down what we ourselves want, we'll be able to identify (individually, for ourselves) exactly how we can achieve that. As well as get a feel for one another, and the community at large, in order to better connect with each other and find common grounds and common interests.

Some examples (add more of your own if you think of them, also you don't have to follow a structure here, I'm just shooting ideas at you):

1. Writing Styles - Novella (multiple posts describing actions and scenes in detail, usually between fewer people) / Narrative (long, descriptive posts - usually 6-10 lines) / Para (short, descriptive posts - about 1-5 lines) / Chat (conversation, actions represented mostly by mechanics)

2. Genres - Horror / Action / Adventure / Romance / Comedy / Realism / Slice of Life / Suspension of Disbelief / School / War / Mystery etc.
 - Again, DO NOT ridicule anybody for their choices and preferences. I love me a good bit of Romance too. And Slice of Life is wonderful for chilling out with friends.

3. Development - Do you prefer to grow with a group of others, sharing your story with them and in turn immersing yourself in their story? Do you prefer to set yourself specific character goals to achieve? Do you feel shy about being in control of your own development, and prefer to make a name for your character in events and campaigns?

4. What do you want to be known for? - When you make a character, when you play the game. Do you want to be known as a hero? Do you want to be feared? Do you want others to value your intellect and come to your character for advice? Do you want to be admired? Do you want to be a respected businessperson who provides a valuable service to others? Do you want to follow behind others and share in their experiences without having to stand in the spotlight if that's not comfortable for you? Perhaps you want to enjoy simply chilling with friends and having conversations as somebody else?

These are all just some ideas. Try to have fun with it, and more importantly - try to learn something about yourself, from it!

Peace out, cub scouts.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post - I probably should have posted my own as an example, too, so here goes:

I play this game because Sigrogana Legend 2 has an incredible amount of potential for you to be, by and large, exactly what you want to be. The ambiguity of a lot of the game's lore leaves so much room to fill in the gaps provided you don't directly contravene the canon lore. It has an unparalleled amount of tools that facilitate RP (even if the game doesn't 'reward' roleplay per se - for me the reward is in the act of roleplaying).

What do I want from my roleplay? When I create a character, I put something of myself into that character, something I find cool and want to run around as. My personal preference in roleplaying campaigns and scenarios is to be regarded as a problem-solver, somebody who can address issues that can't be answered with fire and steel alone. Generally in Live Action Roleplay (yes, I'm that kind of nerd) I tend to play a Druid or Wizard - the sort of people who can handle wardings or commune with spirits, and solve interesting puzzles. I like to be regarded as a hero for the things that I do, but I'm uncomfortable with being the 'only' one.

I get demotivated very quickly if I don't feel like my concept is interesting to others. I don't get very much from casual conversations that don't really explore a character's background or 'lead' to any sort of development. This probably sounds snobby. I actually really enjoy joining others' stories and helping them in some way. My dream Roleplay scenario is adventuring with a group, and becoming recognized for the group's achievements. Who doesn't enjoy a little fame?

With genres, I'm open to anything and everything - around a staple diet of Action, Adventure and those in-between moments where you bond with your adventuring companions over a flagon of Morrisons' Mead and a Domino's Pizza. The other genres mix it up nicely, with themed adventures, making no two the same. But I quickly get bored if roleplay doesn't appear to "lead" to anything - for instance if I don't really feel like the conversation I'm having will bring me any closer to another character or it isn't relevant to the plot, lore, etc.

If interactions like this lead to a blossoming Romance with another character I really click with, I do enjoy that too. I think we all do. It's nice to feel valued.

My preferred writing style is generally Paragraph - Narrative, purely because it helps me to feel more immersed in the character and the environment around, as well as connect with the actions performed by other characters. It's a very mutable thing - not always appropriate if you're just chatting after the scene has been established. If I'm the one creating a scene, I'll switch to Novella-style, but only for a teeny-weeny bit, in order to 'set' the scene.

I don't generally set myself personal character goals, because I find it hard to visualize what is feasible for the character to achieve. I prefer to develop with a group of others or through events, because I am very self-critical and feel as though I have to 'earn' every stage of my character's development in the eyes of other people.

Again, sorry for the double post. You really don't have to make it this long either, if you don't feel comfortable doing that!
[Image: House_Banner_PNG.png]
[-] The following 9 users Like Jupiter_Storm's post:
  • Deja Vu, Dystopia, Fern, K Peculier, Lewdcifer, Miller, Noxid, Shujin, Snake

Messages In This Thread
(Writers Read Me Please) What do you want from Roleplay? - by Jupiter_Storm - 11-18-2020, 07:01 PM