Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
(Writers Read Me Please) What do you want from Roleplay?
Hello, juppy.

For me, what I log on for has changed greatly over the years, and I'm glad I can say now I'm fairly sure of what I enjoy and why. Through trial and error, I've sort of hit my peak in recent months with my new main, Torah, who is essentially the embodiment of all I enjoy and search for in my own characters and interactions.

That being said, I'll go down the list. Firstly, my most common type of writing style is paragraphs, though they range depending on how much has already been described, and how many people are present. I personally hold myself to a grammatical and literary standard that I don't expect of others, simply because I find that fun. Though I absolutely make very short, simple posts when there's a lot of people, lest I make them read too much for something simple.

My favored genre is slice of life, with action to support it. War as well is something I'm interested in, but I'm fairly emotionally sensitive so there's a lot I refuse to participate in based on my own preferences, like arcs about betrayal or suffering.

In terms of development, my characters sort of have a pre-written path they follow that blossoms based on what I want to roleplay as, and what sort of things they encounter. My character having their own abstract goal, like self-improvement and experience, along with maintaining freedom (using Torah as an example) keeps me very motivated to play the character, as I always have a reason to participate in things.

Finally, I want to be remembered as calm and accepting. This is a stark contrast to my younger self, but I'm quite sure of myself now. I want my characters to be side-characters that people enjoy speaking to for the sake of their own development. I like playing a supporting role, and I often see my favorite characters like Torah as members of a party, or interesting NPCs that have a lot of story and development potential in them. Someone who is trustworthy and loyal is my favorite type of character to play, I.E. Dakota, Torah, Tuja, June.

To summarize cleanly, I made my current favorite character, Torah, to be someone who is following her own path and has her own set of motivations, while still being able to communicate and participate in things that aren't her typical environment, like relaxing in a bar. I enjoy making memories of hardship, like battles and campaigns, with friends and tightening bonds through said hardships. Though too much pain and suffering messes with my empathy, I don't mind violence at all. My favorite moments in RP are before a fight, the peak of the battle, and the aftermath of said conflict. Also speaking and reminiscing of such things are interesting, and it gives the slice of life a unique contrast that makes those quiet moments pop and makes them enjoyable. I don't like just having peaceful things.

I hope this helps, Jup!

Edit: I totally forgot to mention Romance! Romance is, I feel, it's own category. But it likewise partners well with occasional action to strengthen those bonds. But I didn't make Torah with the intent to seek romance. In fact, I find that when it's spontaneous, it works the best. Though I sometimes plan out such things with my close-close friends, for the sake of it, and it works well. But spontaneous is best for me, and it isn't a goal nor is it something that my character should rely on.
[Image: nfxQVrc.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like Deja Vu's post:
  • Jupiter_Storm, Noxid, Snake

Messages In This Thread
RE: (Writers Read Me Please) What do you want from Roleplay? - by Deja Vu - 11-18-2020, 09:03 PM