Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eternal not-quite-Darkness
Well, this may be slightly controversial, but it's a spell that I feel like pointing out. Also fairly short, mostly because there isn't much to say.

There's a particular Hexer attack spell called Eternal Darkness. The effect is... interesting, to say the least - it deals dark damage to 1 enemy within 4 range, and if they're inflicted with Blind, it extends the duration by 1 round. Those that looked at a handful of other spells might be able to note that, quite simply, it isn't worth it in almost any circumstance.

To start with, it costs a whopping 32 FP. For a skill that only hits one target in a short range, it sounds absolutely unreasonable, unless the effect is good. And in this case, the effect is... to extend a Blind status by 1 round? It doesn't really do much of anything for most hexers as a result. Heck, there's things like Altera, that instead inflict Blind. Re-inflicting it still refreshes the duration, after all, effectively extending it by another 1-2 rounds. And basically every single Blind inflicting ability costs less FP to use.

To Eternal Darkness' credit, it has 140% Dark ATK for scaling, which is pretty okay, but it doesn't make up for everything else being fairly underwhelming, especially for a class that's supposed to specialize in status effects.

My personal suggestion would be to lower the FP cost and make it inflict the status through the usual infliction check, and if it's already on the opponent, then it doesn't do an infliction check and instead automatically extends the duration by one round. That way it can at least be used without having to include an external way to use Blind and effectively invalidating any reason to use the actual spell.
[-] The following 3 users Like SolAndLuna's post:
  • Fern, Miller, WaifuApple
It would be nice if it just inflicted blind I do agree with that, there's no hex to go along with blind currently so its not overly useful to the hexer unless they are dodgy (Which they typically are not.) and is only worthwhile for the raw scaling it has, but low range kind of offsets that entirely.
It'd be nice if the range was extended, it might feed into Hexer's dot focused play style for it to have a long, maybe Rye ranged single target dark damage spell as their main 'dps' ability that isn't named Enma's (which isn't really supposed to be a dps spell, but, you know how that goes). The traditional inflict based Hexer would try to set up dots and stay at a distance with their Eternal Darkness. I don't think the extended range would be a problem either given 140% dark atk, 100% swa single target is not very strong on its own, especially with the amount of easy access dark res in the game.