Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[REQ] Dormeho Remap
So, I have a lot of criticism for this one, in particular because I'm extremely passionate about naval stuff. I want Dormeho to look the best it possibly can, while stille giving it charm, and a unique feel. I do like the map, but I personally don't think it suits Dormeho.

First, and this is my major point of criticism: The harbor doesn't follow the land.

It's a block going out into the ocean as of the current pictures showcased, and that isn't how ports function, nor is is a very good example of the scale, or nature of the port. Let me provide you an example:

[Image: rmhuWlL.png]
The spoiler contains a look at one of the bigger industrial ports of Denmark. Notice how the port is effectively carved into the land, and though it does look a little box-y, it still very much is built around the concept of necessity, instead of everything being nice, and rectangular.

But this is a cool fantasy world, and we don't have access to industrial amounts of cement, so rather, we could perhaps look to more fantasy-esque inspiration such as this:

[Image: HWejwHQ.png]

[Image: OuKuoSx.jpg?1]

[Image: 3XIJhxO.png]

These are just a couple of examples of D&D maps I ripped from online, which all fill like fluid cities. Note how chaotic the  layout of each city is. That's a little phenomenon known as building by necessity. A port brings huge amount of works, which means that people flock to them in hopes of making it, meaning these countless people need places to stay, and this doesn't feel very inspired towards neither the rich, nor the poor aspects of immigrants. Not to the extent that it probably should.

The Marketplace
The market place could do with its own entire section. We're talking about one of the biggest trading ports in the entire world, and this certainly doesn't reflect that.
[Image: KldiLjR.png]

[Image: m7nmQe6.png]

Just look at, for example, this, a random picture I snagged off the internet. Probably doesn't even have anything to do with a port, but look how packed it is. I'm under no illusion that one could get it this tightly knit in the map-creater, therefor we must get creative. Make it circular instead with a plaza-like middle, leave enough room for people to sneak past the gaps of stalls, fill voids with large stacks of barrels, and crates, and whatever have you. This would be the place to plonk down as much junk as you possibly could, because the merchants here would genuinely be selling them.

There aren't even any player stalls in the marketplace section according to what's shown.

The Housing
[Image: ctnBMHz.png]

This is eight squares that would have been perfectly symmetric had it not been for a couple of randomly scattered flowerbeds. Rather than having dedicated sections to housing, housing should be cluttered. It should be chaotic. Because it rises out of need, not because of leisurely want. Parts of the city should also reflect the class difference of the workers, and those who manage them. My final point to this is also that there's plainly too much air between everything.

Port Stairs
[Image: zkBF4HX.png]

This is a smaller gripe, but the city has stairs. Especially stairs leading to the docks. This is murder for the port industry, how are you going to efficiently do trade if you've got to lift your crates, or barrels, or whatever else ultra heavy up two flights of stairs before your trade wagons can collect them? If the city must continue to be elevated in such a manner, it needs ramps to facilitate land-trade as well.

The Beasts
If there's a second word associated with Dormeho that isn't 'Boat', it's 'Beast', and this current map does little to facility the long, long history it has of fending them off. There are outer walls now, sure, but that doesn't stop all of them if they just appear from the ground. Where are the palisades with manned guards at? The watch towers to keep their eyes out for them? The scars no doubts visible from countless repairs? Tannis has the excuse of being mostly natural. Dormeho is a stone-bricks city though, and that makes it impossible to hide everything.

Finally:
My score for the map on its own is 8/10

But my score for it as a functional Dormeho is 4/10, and I personally think it would be much better suited as a new settlement all together. One perhaps of much richer nature than Dormeho would be. Having more port towns wouldn't be a bad thing anyway, in my opinion.

It's a nice map, but I overall think it falls short of 'Being Dormeho' given my current points. Regardless of whether it'll be added or not as Dormeho, I hope you'll consider the criticism for the future.
[-] The following 3 users Like MakeshiftWalrus's post:
  • Autumn, JamOfBoy, Sawrock

Messages In This Thread
[REQ] Dormeho Remap - by WaifuApple - 04-14-2021, 09:51 PM
RE: [REQ] Dormeho Remap - by Neus - 04-15-2021, 08:51 AM
RE: [REQ] Dormeho Remap - by WaifuApple - 04-16-2021, 01:52 AM
RE: [REQ] Dormeho Remap - by MakeshiftWalrus - 04-17-2021, 01:39 AM
RE: [REQ] Dormeho Remap - by JamOfBoy - 04-18-2021, 01:17 AM
RE: [REQ] Dormeho Remap - by WaifuApple - 04-18-2021, 02:04 AM
Dormeho Remap - by WaifuApple - 05-26-2021, 03:29 AM