Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amalgama's Mutations and general feedback
I want a refund! 30'000 Murai doesn't grow on trees!--

Jokes aside, it's real. I was mad enough to toast that much on a single Amalgama to see how it would play out. The result? This thread. (Yes, I'm stupid. I should have tested this in the Testing Server beforehand, but hey, I guess that contributes with the whole noob bait trap that Fruit of Memories is. I fell for it, so you won't need to, my friends!)

There are some crippling problems with Amalgama's mutations in general and why they don't play nice with Fruit of Memories, and the first one is them being way too impactful to be waved off in case you roll something bad. 30% is WAY too much to sleep on it, so the moment you get a weakness, you're going to ache for the rest of your life against that specific element, and especially if the weakness is Lightning, due to the previous threads about how powerful resistance-shaving is in regards to this element in particular.

Then there's the second factor of why I couldn't get anything good out of this crazy experiment, the fact about... eighty-percent of the time I had a Mutation (Resistance) stacking with Mutation (Weakness), which completely botched that reroll, and forced me to go for it again. This is caused mostly due to how the game rerolls everything faster than the Clock-based RNG can process, and the rest is self-explanatory.

The third main problem is the "defining factor" Unique passives of an Amalgama. You're trying to be a basic-hitting Amalgama? That means you'll want Spirit Shot, but you'll have to compete with the other Uniques similar to it which will steal the spotlight and kiss your reroll a goodbye, such as Attune Grudge, etc. Even if you had previously managed to get an element of resistance and weakness that is beneficial to basic hitting.

And this is just an example.

Although, the result? Amalgama is needlessly too expensive to create. The intention behind Fruit of Memories was to give SL2 another money sink, but the problem is, there is no point in rerolling if you'll have a very high chance it will be rendered useless for the factors mentioned. So Fruit of Memories are better untouched for the most part, unless a few things get changed to allow you to have a better control over what you'll need or not.

The few things to be changed are also probably not all that harsh:

Quote:- Gameplay-defining (aka "Unique") Passives (Spirit Shot, Attune Grudge, Formidable, All Anima, Gainsight, Spirit Stillness) should become racial traits that you can pick from your Trait pool (only one), rather than tossed into the pool of mutations. The drawback for picking such traits is already solidified either way. You -need- spirits or else this is useless, besides the obvious Holy weakness.

- The first Offensive Mared spell you obtain should be of of your Starsign's element, further spells should stay RNG, as to not devaluate the fruit completely.

- Your first resistance should also be of your Starsign's element, further weaknesses should stay RNG, as to not devaluate the fruit completely.

- The resistance/weakness number should be lowered from 30% to 15%, but this is arguable at the very least.

- The support/utility spells can stay as they are. They're not really 'that' relevant to an Amalgama and perfectly balanced as they are. They could be the new reason to reroll your mutations, even. If you need that FP regen more than HP, or debuff cleaning.

And that's all. Dev, please consider these above. I enjoy the race, but I don't really enjoy having thought about an Amalgama character's IC theme just to be stopped by mechanics so roughly with absolutely no ways around it but 'bite the pillow for that 0.00001% chance'. And even if one gets it, imagine the millions of Murai that'd be. On a single char. You could use all that money everywhere else but in such an unfair bet.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snake's post:
  • Deja Vu
Interesting post but the problem with that is...

The race Amalgama, you're not suppose to have full control over what you want (Even in lore you don't have control over what you get). That's the selling point of the race itself. I can see why the fruit was needed its the game's way of saying 'You don't need to remake over and over again, just use this fruit' if you get something you really don't want. The race itself is pretty much 'Work with what you have and make do with it', not 'I want all these certain things for my super strong build.'. 

As far as I can tell, it's a race that strives from RP than anything else. (I don't know for others but what I roll decide how I'll build and the personality.), so no two Ama are the same, unless they're really, really lucky.

Yes, I do believe the 30% is quite crippling but it isn't the end of the world...Unless it's lightning then you better reroll and pray to your god. There are items and so on that could easily cover that...Unless it's lightning...Then we pray to the lord and hope the reroll is forgiving.

There was also a thread on the same roll situation, whereas you can roll the same weakness and resistance; I do support this point whereas a Ama shouldn't roll something like Charm resistance then charm weakness || The same weakness and strengths....God forbid it happening twice. 
[Image: BAWqB6P.png]
[Image: fa5d9fd2e3f77f27206bb134638b5f28.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Senna's post:
  • Snake