Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Race Suggestion Megathread
Heart 
Yeah! I'm a bastard!
With the advent of our third flavor of Corbie, and with the suggestion I made in the most recent survey (as of the time of this thread), I wanted to suggest some ideas for races. Some of these have been floating around my head since 2017-2018sh and nobody really ever formally suggested them. So honestly, with three years behind it, I wanted to post them.
I'm just making this a megathread for race suggestions in general. Might make it easier to keep track of suggestions already in and everything, y'know?

NOTES:
  • I am not an almighty mid-max builder, so I have no idea what the base stats of races should be like. I can only suggest what I think their strengths and weakness are from an IC/lore standpoint.
  • I can in no way promise I have good ideas. These're just concepts I threw together for fun + to put some energy behind the suggestion I made in the survey!
  • I made the attempt to limit Kaelensians (because we have a lot already) + and avoided bird-like races (because we have a lot already).
  • The races are suggested with the idea that races that aren't humanoid aren't greatly welcomed and would require custom sprites that - more than likely - nobody is going to make.
  • Suggestions are welcome! Both to my ideas and races to add to the list. I'll add virtually any idea, as long as it's possible in lore and doesn't go against the rules. (I'm looking at you, yooou jammer degenerates-)
  • The formatting of my post is FUBAR because... the forums decided so, I guess. Sorry.
  • If you think a race could be unbalanced... cool! Give new ideas. Don't just yell in the thread without any actual fix. Please. These are simply ideas and not a balance-fu scream room.

URSIDAE
(Race Concept suggested by Nuclear & Cereza. Works best in Kaelensians.)
Lore: The Ursidae Kaelensia are a human-like race that posses bear-like ears. Much like Lupine, Ursidae are as strong as their bear counterparts and are hard even make flinch. Many Egwynian Ursidaes take charge as hunters and guardsmen for their tribes and prefer to stay in groups rather than be on their own. Many Ursidae outside of Egwyn find jobs as knights, mercenaries, Black Knights, and bodyguards very easily due to their impressive strength and loyalty.
Strength & Weakness: I would imagine STR and VIT as strengths, with their weakness being CEL and WIS. They're built similar to Lupine, but I find Lupine isn't RP-wise that great of a tank Kael, given that dogs aren't exactly tanking animals. But BEARS? Definitely.
How would they be sprited?: Just give them Lupine ears. Worked for me when I made my "Ursidae" characters as defection Lupines
Skill Ideas: (Cognitohazard) A bonus to fist-based attacks, or something like Leporidae's bonus to kicks.
(Raydon) Their instinct skill could be protection with a range, with a % chance to trigger based on thresholds.
(Cognitohazard) Some sort of "hibernation" skill, which gives a great HP boost but also puts them to sleep for X amount of turns.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DOLOROSE
(Race Concept suggested by Cereza, with edit suggestions from Raydon, taken from their own original universe. Works best in Ancients / Others.)

Lore: Spiritualists for years have studied the concept of the Dolorose - those with such strong wills to live that they've wedged a wrench into the cogs of death to keep themselves around just a little longer.
Dolorose are both alive and dead, similar to Vampires - but rather than powered by Huggessoa, Dolorose are people who died but due to their spiritual knowledge of the afterlife and strong willpower have possessed their own dead bodies. However, this makes them prime targets for Reapers, who see Dolorose as an affront to the cycle of life and death.
Dolorose are often confused for Umbrals, due to their ghost-like visage in the dark, but unlike such Dolorose are always loosely opaque, it just might take a keen eye to notice. Dolorose also often have a halo floating above or behind their head - which changes in shape to match the Dolorose itself (such as a classic halo or a unique one), their skin tends to be pale, and their hair is black or white - regardless of their original haircolor.

Strength & Weakness: I would say WIS and RES for strength, & VIT and STR for weakness.
How would they be sprited?: Vampire's ability to have any racial (since Dolorose keep their racial traits), halo doesn't need to have its own sprite, really.
Skill Ideas: N/A
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOCTISTA
(Race Concept suggested by Cereza. Works best in abominations.)

Lore: Legends from the darkest pits of society talk of a group of outcasted mages from Karaten, who were working in secret on learning the secrets of the Spaitals from Black Doors. Most monsters of Black Doors are rather normal, things we could see in Sigrogana if we'd tried hard enough, but Spaitals are an enigma, as there is nothing else in the world like them. These banished mages attempted to connect human test subjects to them, succeeding only in making horrific monsters from which there would be no return of the wrath of.
Loctisata are often found with markings upon their face, as well as an extra eye on their chest or forehead - or two on the palms of their hands.
Strength & Weakness: I would say WIS and SKI/RES for strength, & LUC and DEF for weakness.
How would they be sprited?: That'd be up to what Dev wanted if anything. They don't need anything.
Skill Ideas: (Cereza) Would be cool if they could summon Spaitals, or have their spells innately.
VESPER
(Race Concept suggested by Cognitohazard, lore by Cereza. Works best in Others.)
Lore: Often in modern culture, bats and Vampires are attached at the hip. Of course, not literally, but the myth that vampires can turn into bats from storybooks and plays comes often from the relationship between Vesper and Vampires. Vesper are a race of humanoids with bat-like ears and wings, who's screeches can be heard from miles away. Many Vampires use Vespers as thralls (whether willing or not), or squires, and after having a history of being in line with Vampires, of course, people would think they were one in the same.

Strength & Weakness: I would say VIT and WIL for strength, & LUC and RES for weakness.

How would they be sprited?: Lupine ears, Hyattr wings. If anything, they could use smaller versions of the wings, but... effort.
Skill Ideas: (Cereza) A sound-based innate attack skill for sure, although I feel like that might them start feeling same-y to Theno with the offensive skill - but a sound-based race that isn't about SINGING would be cool.
DAWACO
(Race Concept suggested by Cereza, taken from their own original universe. Works best in Others.)

Lore: Rarely seen by the outside world, Dawaco are a species of squirrel-like humanoids that live within forests for most of their lives. They're foragers by nature, and have low needs for survival - food, water, and sleep. Because of their roughing-it lives, they're naturally sneaky and natural survivalists. Typically those that leave their forest and family are going because of curiosity of the outside world, and may return at any given point in time.

Strength & Weakness: I would say GUI and LUC for strength, & RES and WIL for weakness.

How would they be sprited?: They would more than likely need a tail sprite but could use lupine ears.

IGZELL
(Race Concept suggested by Cereza, taken from their own original universe. Works best in Corrupted.)
Lore: Igzell are a type of Corrupted that have taken on a humanoid form of a single insect, for unknown reasons within a Darkzone. Igzell are often found in large groups of other Igzell of similar insects, called "Hives", in which they have their own primal society - almost like a tribe from Egwyn. Most Igzell never leave their hive for safety and comfort, and ones that leave are often cast out for one reason or another, and expected to expire in the outside world. But there's always the ones strong enough to survive outside.

Strength & Weakness: I would say STR and CEL for strength, & DEF and VIT for weakness.

How would they be sprited?: I'd say you could give them Pap's wings, the uni-horn and devil horns from Zeran, and Shaitan's claws just for flavor, but I don't think they'd need anything super special.
IRVIKUVA
(Race Concept suggested by Cereza. Works best in Ancients / Others.)

Lore: Irvikuva are a race of magical constructs made of stone, either possessed by malevolent spirits or powered by an immense amount of focus. In olden times, Irvikuva were made to be statues to scare off people from property - much like modern gargoyle statues, but with magical veins to move them around.. Because of the amount of focus they require to continue, most modern Irvikuva require repairs and recharge periods, or a 'Keeper' that allows them to borrow focus from them, since Irvikuva cannot generate focus on their own.

Strength & Weakness: I would say STR and CEL for strength, & DEF and VIT for weakness.

How would they be sprited?: Give 'em Hyattr wings for gargoyle-y ones, otherwise, they don't need anything. 

Skill Ideas: (Cereza) MP steal ability. Yes yes yes.
DJINNI
(Race Concept suggested by Cereza. Works best in Others.)
Lore: Many are aware of Amiras's Redtails, a race that affects luck for themselves and everyone around them - as well as the lesser-known Omnia, which steal luck for themselves for unsuspecting people, but many forget a key part of Amiras's legends: her trickery. The Djinni are a race often found in unoccupied areas of the world, mirroring Amiras games of chance for unsuspecting victims, before twisting them into their own gain. 

Strength & Weakness: I would say WIL and LUC for strength, & RES and VIT for weakness.

How would they be sprited?: They don't really need anything special.

EENAR
(Race Concept suggested by Cereza. Works best in Others.)
Lore: The Eenar are a race of humanoids with unique, white unicorn horns on their foreheads, and hooves for legs - much like Appartaurus. Rare and mystical, the Eenar are often hunted by both scholars, slavers, and those who believe they can grant wishes due to their similarity to the unicorns of legend. This has many believing that the Eenar are extinct, or so small in numbers and in hiding that they're not going to be found anytime soon.

Strength & Weakness: I would say WIL and RES for strength, & STR and DEF for weakness.

How would they be sprited?: Give 'em the unicorn Zeran horn.

Skill Ideas: (Cereza) I'm going to stab people through with my horn and nobody can stop me.
[Image: 5HkCz2Q.png]
[Image: s0bdkqm.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shadbase's post:
  • Snake
I'm already seeing a problem with the Ursa race. They would be tanks that get tanker as they take damage (as lupines get stronger and felidae get faster)

Due to how defense works they take less and less damage as they take it (assuming they get a racial like lupine and relidae do as an innate rising game) encouraging a better doomwall.

Obviously im not aginst the race as a concept but one that focuses on TANKING is asking for balance issues.

Cognito and Raydons suggestions while good IN A VACUUM would just exacerbate it I fear.
Like I said, I'm not a PVP person. I don't even necessarily care a whole lot about that aspect, so none of them are balanced for anything beyond being good RP, and bears pretty much are tanky animals. If you can balance them out for something else, please go ahead. I'd appreciate it.
(06-02-2021, 09:51 AM)Kiranis Wrote: I'm already seeing a problem with the Ursa race. They would be tanks that get tanker as they take damage (as lupines get stronger and felidae get faster)

Due to how defense works they take less and less damage as they take it (assuming they get a racial like lupine and relidae do as an innate rising game)  encouraging a better doomwall.

Obviously im not aginst the race as a concept but one that focuses on TANKING is asking for balance issues.

Cognito and Raydons suggestions while good IN A VACUUM would just exacerbate it I fear.

She never said specifically that their instinct would give them defense. They said their strengths would be STR and VIT... Meaning those would be their high base stats most likely. This is all speculation in the first place and can be balanced accordingly. Also even if it DID add defense as an instinct bonus, that's not the worst thing as with their stat spread they'd hit good defense but most likely wouldn't get much resistance to compensate making it not a doom wall, but more like oh idunno the whole fucking point of black knight? Which was listed as one of the things they'd be good as. On top of this... They said the instinct skill was using protect within a range, most likely small and something very unique that doesn't innately give defense, you're blowing this out of proportion before anything is even done.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
[-] The following 1 user Likes Raigen.Convict's post:
  • Shadbase
I'm mentioning potential problems i see with the core the the races idea hence why i mentioned "assuming they work this way" which is a fair assumption considering all land bound keals get it.

Dullahans as the other tanky race have their own drawbacks that they have build around and Shaitans as well if the ursa race is keal it's not gonna have the drawbacks of dully or corrupted races it's just glykins without the poison immunity.

It's a Keal Race they will pump san so they have plenty of resists and yes black knights can be doom walls.

I said the proposed instinct might make it worse actually because having a tank that can TANK FOR OTHERS is a huge thing for this game since outside of protect (which is functionally usless due to how people move) is really strong.
(06-04-2021, 01:27 AM)Kiranis Wrote: I'm mentioning potential problems i see with the core the the races idea hence why i mentioned "assuming they work this way" which is a fair assumption considering all land bound keals get it.

Dullahans as the other tanky race have their own drawbacks that they have build around and Shaitans as well if the ursa race is keal it's not gonna have the drawbacks of dully or corrupted races it's just glykins without the poison immunity.

It's a Keal Race they will pump san so they have plenty of resists and yes black knights can be doom walls.

I said the proposed instinct might make it worse actually because having a tank that can TANK FOR OTHERS is a huge thing for this game since outside of protect (which is functionally usless due to how people move) is really strong.

Well, cool thanks! - I updated the notes in response to this.
I can and will repeat again: I am no maxer. I pretty much strictly do PVE unless I'm forced to or I need to test something, so any help actually being able to balance anything/suggestions on how to actually fix an idea to be more compatible with the game would be great, rather than just sort-of going off about how something is bad/doesn't work/hurts the game. My strength is writing, not balance.
In the end, everything here is a suggestion. Dev doesn't have to use any skills we think up, or even the races. If he likes the concept of something and wants to run with it in a new patch somewhere down the line in a few months or even a year, cool - my goal is complete and I'm happy.
Quote:With the advent of our third flavor of Corbie,
wheeze.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Snake's post:
  • FatherCrixius, Shadbase