Poll: Are you satisfied with the current state of the event staff?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
57.14%
16 57.14%
No
42.86%
12 42.86%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Current State Of The Event Staff
Both Fern and Miller already put their thoughts down on things, and I share a lot of the same opinions, so while I may end up repeating a lot of what they say, I'm going to try and keep this relatively short and avoid just making the exact same sort of reply.

My first real question back is, what is your definition of a public event? Is it only the kind of events that Fern runs, where it's just a big world event where literally everyone can show up? Or also smaller sign-up events? Fern and Miller have already covered in a good amount of detail the amount of work and effort that goes into running the really big world events, but I will admit there's been a lack in the latter, but those can also be kind of basically considered private events as well since they effectively do the same thing just with a more randomized player base, which generally makes things harder because not everyone who signs up will necessarily be on the same page.

In regards to only running events for small groups of friends, I disagree with that entirely. Over my time as eventmin, most of the events I've run by myself have been by request from people, and I don't pick and choose who I take those requests from. If someone comes to me, I will work with them unless there are mitigating circumstances that make me try and direct them elsewhere. One thing I don't think people realize is just how many events do go one in the background of things. In the month of August, there were about six total events run, trimming out a couple of smaller requests and things we did, and this month (September), we've had roughly another six, again trimming out some smaller things. We have an Events Journal channel in the SL2 Discord for eventmin to log what it is we've been doing, so the GMs can keep track of our activity, and while we do have eventmin who are less active than others, that doesn't mean they don't contribute either.

There are plenty of times we ask each other for assistance in circumstances that one eventmin would have a hard time managing on their own. For a much more public example, over the course of Fern's Black Falcon events, practically all of us have been tapped at one point or another, often at the same time, to assist. For the finale, practically the entire event team was tapped in one way or another, and while I did participate, I still contributed by helping Fern with writing, and most of us continue to help Fern with the White Door events.

The eventmin team in total is... What, five people? All of whom have lives outside of a video game. The number of eventmin has only shrunk as well from its original number, with both Karidan and Kpec having been promoted to GM. I'll be honest, if anyone ever told me that I need to focus on running events more than handling my life, I'd just quit then and there.

I'm not saying you don't have a valid point, I'm sure everyone would love to see more events in general, but considering our numbers and the fact that this is a volunteer sort of situation, I think we're doing pretty well for ourselves, and I'd like to think this comes as unbiased as it can be though I admit as part of the event team, it's likely colored by my opinion of what it is I, and everyone else here, does.
[-] The following 6 users Like Druby's post:
  • DogOfTheLog, Illumi, K Peculier, Lewdcifer, Miller, Snake

Messages In This Thread
The Current State Of The Event Staff - by Aqua - 09-30-2021, 01:38 PM
RE: The Current State Of The Event Staff - by Druby - 09-30-2021, 09:19 PM