Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mini Spellthief Overhaul/addon
Spellthief is probably one of my favorite classes in the game. Illusions are fun, and its basically build-a-bear workshop for mage giving you the option to make your very own mage class basically! This is great and fun.

And while by no means a bad class, it didn't age all that well and it barely gets anything new added to its kit as the unique abillity to steal magic even from Monsters is more often than not just not made possible, which is really a shame that we almost never get to learn new monster spells. Or new classes are made so that their spells follow some sort of mechanic for its actually good effects. So I would like to suggest a few things to make it more modern and maybe add a bit to its illusion/build your own mage kit.

1.) First of all, give it the 3 SP per skill treatment. Many of its skills are already but the few that are not could REALLY need it, especially goose bite.

Spell Snatch would be 1+2 spells per rank Giving you effectively 1 more slot. But I do not think thats really an issue, given the limitations of the class.

2.) I would like a reason to Main Class Spellthief. Mayhaps a MC only skill that either reduces the global Cooldown, or adds more stolen spell slots.(not if spellsnatch gets changed as suggested above, that would probably be too much. But a total of 2-3 more spells be pretty cool.)

3.) Goose Bite is a...Very, very Niche skill. The damage is very bad and the effect while not bad requires a lot from your build. Maybe make it a basic attack? 
3 Ranks
-2 Stats per rank, halfed if not from behind.

4.) Rework some of the Spells it currently has, mostly the ranks and Smokescreen needs to have its area probably changed to a circle AoE, maybe even cause damage to enemies inside of it on round start. Now that it doesn't even take line of sight, it has a lot less tactical uses and is very difficult to use in a efficient way.

5.) Some new Illusion spells would be cool. ST lacks a solid way to apply fear on its own though I think that with illussions you can probably do something to cause it.or something like 
Mirror Clones:
Create 3 clones that look identical to the user. If you have shuffle active you randomly swap position with one of the clones. The clones Have acess to your stolen spells and stats, but their damage and healing is reduced by 75%.
3 Ranks. 6 turn CD
50/75/100HP

Not a super thought out Thread but...Thats mainly because ST isn't really in a terrible position to begin with. Its a good class that had sufferd a couple of Pseudo nerfs in time, by removing spells from its stealable list or changing how smoke works. I argue because of that, that they could do with more Stolen spell slots,  atleast while MC. Or atleast have its global CD reduced then.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shujin's post:
  • HaTeD
- Remove smokescreen as a skill entirety from Spellthief. No point when there's ninjutsu alternative.

-  Goose Bite will instead cap at -7 Stat decrease across the board, but no more than that as to prevent outright smack people down. You're already decreasing their stats by 55 stats total. (Excluding their aptitude), that's big enough stat debuff for three rounds.  With -7 stat decrease, you're decreasing players' by 77. That's a `lot`. In addition, not backstabbing only do -4 stats instead of -2.

- Giving them the SP reduction treatment would reduce the SP total by 22, bringing down from 84 SP to 62.  If Smokescreen was removed, it would go down to 57. But Spellthief do not need a SP reduction because it's not a class like Demon Hunter, or Tactician who have load of essential skillpoints requirement. (Tacticians really only got SP reduction because most of the skills are too niche).

- "Mainclass plox?"
Sorry kiddo, get in the line with Priest, Engineer, Verglas, Kensei, Magic Gunner, (name several other classes who don't get main-class exclusivity)
[Image: XDo90hy.png]
Fix Final Flare and Hot potato and then we'll see how much Spellthief needs attunements. But yeah Smokescreen's pretty awful right now, i'd like for it to be retooled or swapped to something entirely different.

It would also be cool if they could get a kagero like skill, a substitution jutsu type thing. But that's a solid buff and i'm not really sure the class NEEDS a buff. The spell thieving aspects of the class seem fine. But the illusion and dagger aspects of the class do seem outdated.
We do not talk about Final Flare.