Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP Ping
Simply put, have an option that pings your game window if you get an IC post, that way if you're doing something on the side you don't have to constantly watch your screen to catch the moment someone posts at or near you.

This would be immensely helpful to avoid people walking up to you, posting, then not pinging you before leaving thinking you're AFK, among many other benefits.
[-] The following 14 users Like Trexmaster's post:
  • Autumn, Bryce_Hego, Dezark, FaeLenx, Fern, Imotepchief, Miller, Poruku, Pyro, Senna, Shadbase, Shujin, Slydria, The Alpha Bat
(12-22-2022, 03:58 AM)Trexmaster Wrote: Simply put, have an option that pings your game window if you get an IC post, that way if you're doing something on the side you don't have to constantly watch your screen to catch the moment someone posts at or near you.

This would be immensely helpful to avoid people walking up to you, posting, then not pinging you before leaving thinking you're AFK, among many other benefits.

I think this would be amazing to have, and it probably wouldn't get too annoying either if it's opt-in.
[-] The following 2 users Like Autumn's post:
  • Dezark, Pyro
I guess, since many new people do not even know trade ping is a thing.
(12-28-2022, 09:24 PM)Shujin Wrote: I guess, since many new people do not even know trade ping is a thing.

Having to rely on trade ping to get people's attention is extremely obtuse.

If anything, we should have a feature that does nothing but ping someone if you specifically want their attention rather than needing to send a trade request.

Though not only would adding this help alleviate the need to run up to people and trade request them, but it'd let you know any time someone posts near you.

A lot of players, not even just new players, won't bother trying to ping you if you don't respond, so giving people the option to be alerted whenever new IC posts pop up would help immensely. Especially for characters who post up in otherwise quiet areas.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Trexmaster's post:
  • Shujin
There is an issue with this and I think it's not the right solution for the problem presented, although it's still a useful functionality.

How I mainly see it being used is that it would be turned on when you go afk intentionally and want to be notified if someone does walk up rp. But often, you would not remember to do it or you would just get distracted and tab out or something. Then the biggest issue arises where someone comes up to an afk person and makes a post, and they have no idea if their post pinged them or not. So they end up just trade pinging them anyway.

In the other scenario where you want to tab out during rp, I think it's ok since it lets you minimize the window and do something else. I often have another window open which I overlap over sl2 to still see the chat. But it would be cool to have this option.

Importantly, I would really like to see the option for desktop notifications, but I doubt that's possible with BYOND.

Alternatively, a simple "ping" option instead of using trade ping would be nice.
Honestly just explain how to trade/invite ping in the tutorial if not already there.
Bump.
[Image: BAWqB6P.png]
[Image: fa5d9fd2e3f77f27206bb134638b5f28.png]
Me getting hit by the millionth trade ping like we are still in 2005.
Me foolishly opening the trade window and feeling silly.

A normal ping would be nice. Give it the same range that emotes have, that way you don't have to walk up into someones face.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bryce_Hego's post:
  • Poruku, Shadbase
Exactly. Trade pings are a bandaid solution to a very important problem.
Wanted to sit and think on this for a hot minute...
I think that there's three things that could actually be good in the case of RP Pinging: A proper 'ping' button in the right-click menu, the ability to set a Madness Mantra-type 'ping' word, and the option to set a 'status'.

A proper ping button could put out a small message, perhaps similar to Iahsus:
System: [character alias] has pinged you!

That would light up the SL2 window like a trade does. This gives visibility to the system, and so you know who's pinged you as well, and you're not accidently accepting a trade. An optional functionality could also be to add a reason, which could look like either of these potentially:
System: [character alias] has pinged you! Reason: I'd like to RP!
System: [character alias] has pinged you! (I'd like to RP!)

I think this could be an elegant replacement for the band-aid trade ping. Of course, I think that regardless, this type of ping should have a cooldown on it. I mean, anybody who's lived through MSN and violently heard the "bada-BUM", vibrating window, and taskbar flash at a rate of 90 PPM knows why it should. (I would know. I did this because I was 12. Very funni.)

The second is a built-upon one that also relates to what's been suggested before: having just a specific ping word.
I'd think the ping word could be enacted in all the IC verbs, as well as LOOC, and can be set to at minimum one phrase. So if I had a character named "Throckmorton", and my alias was "Watermelon Maniac", I could set either my name, the two words in my alias, or even just a topic I enjoy as my phrase, and whenever it's said in any channel, I would get a Madness Mantra-like highlight of the word and my window would beep. Obviously something like this should have an on/off button, and personally I'd put it on the bar above the chat box, even if that sacrifices the 'guild-chat' macro (Not that I think we really need that, hee hoo) just to make sure there's ample space on the bar. Preferences could work too, but it's a bit less convenient.

The third is something I think was brought up in another thread? But I think it relates to pinging too so: the idea of having a set-able status. Not only could such a thing make it easy to tell if you even NEED to ping someone, but I'd think it could be used creatively too.
I made a mock up of what I'd think would be a semi-seamless fit (thank god for passports):
[Image: image.png]

And in this regard too, I think this should be a replacement for the "Idle" status, especially when the Idle status just kinda blankly says "this person might be afk, or tabbed out, or eating dinner, or watching a movie while they wait, who knows!". Then you could actually have a reason to PING someone, because they suggest doing so themselves, right there!

Okie that's all I have, thank...
[Image: 5HkCz2Q.png]
[Image: s0bdkqm.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shadbase's post:
  • Miller