Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Class Skill Renaming
Alright, just hear me out.
I think that, if at all possible, the possibility to rename the skills in our classes would be REALLY cool.

I think a few people at least have thought about the IC strangeness of everyone using the same techniques despite being totally separate from each other!
As such, I think it could bring a tiny bit of uniqueness to characters to be able to just rename their class's skills. This would not change them in any substantial mechanical way or anything of course, since that would just be... well, a bit much, but I think the cosmetic of flavoring names could go a long way.
The act of renaming skills could also be a salve to players with racial skills that they don't want to be blasted in battle (though Vampire is in a... state, there has always been rather prominent metagame of Banquet when it's used in battle, and I've also been victim to that.), or if they would prefer to not exactly be a by the book Evoker, Black Knight, Bard, etc.
In terms of Korvara as well, it'd be a nice way to be able to never have to explain how we're using concepts unique to Sigrogana (Priest coming to mind...)

Of course, I know I'm making a suggestion for something that could be abused. However, something like this has to be subject to the same rules that player/youkai names, weapon/equipment names, and everything already has. If it's abused, you get slapped.
Not to mention that a name change wouldn't change the description of the skill either. You can just click it's name in both new and old chat and still get the same description...

I just want to suggest it - because even if it comes on as a "Class Regalia" Patreon item, it'd still be a worthwhile thing for a lot of people...
[Image: 5HkCz2Q.png]
[Image: s0bdkqm.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Shadbase's post:
  • firehawk11, Poruku
Sounds like fun, besides we already have this thing available in event tools so it probably wouldn't be too hard to implement. I've run into the trouble of wanting to flavor a skill multiple times. It's a pain when you have to kind of rp out what you're doing more specifically every time.
Well, that'd bring some confusion to the table in terms of clarity and it doesn't really stop you from RPing it differently anyway.

This could only ever be acceptable if you could only change the name of one skill and that's it.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
At least if some racial skills could be renamed it'd be nice.
Because again, flavor text RP Banquet all you want - McNewPlayer Sckrunkly takes five seconds to look at you, run into town and scream about seeing a vampire.
On one hand, I think this could be leading to confusions as knowing the name of a skill helps you quickly know what you are mechanically up against, so changing that can confuse you in a "unfair" manner.

On the other hand, we have Shapeshifter, Spellthief and youkai regalia, where you can really fast if you are not paying 100% attention at all time just entirely lose track of what the heck the other is currently installed with.

So, its not like we do not have this sort of confusion already. So I am indifferent towards it. Coolness factor? Yeah. But certainly could be abused and needs to be monitored, and not sure if the admins wanna deal with that.

I certainly see where you are coming from. I do hate RPing doing X in an RP, the person ignoring it and describing it as Y and then proceeds to make it awkward. I guess its just how it is.
Overall I think it to be a better thing for roleplay even though I would be against it since sometimes I only track what goes on in a battle by reading the chat log. As long as you can click on those skills though its fine, ideally a preference is made to change how you view them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Autumn's post:
  • Shadbase
I'm on the boat of liking this idea, the more customization is given to the player, the better.

To adress the problems of confusion, if push ever comes to shove, you could in theory do what some games do when it comes to skill customization:

For normal skills:
Custom Skill Name (Actual Skill Name)

For skills that do not appear in the chat/invocations:

CUSTOM INVOCATION/SKILL NAME
(Actual Invocation/Skill Name)
This could be added to the other confusion inducing mechanics to a degree.

Skills like banquet and other racial skills be exempt from this. Invocation dialogue could be customizable too, but that would MAYBE trample on the toes of some lore if they are ripped straight from the texts we read from, but I'm unsure.
[Image: psycholonials-andrew-hussie.gif]
Another homestuck in this hussie of a world.
Banquet being called out is kinda part of the risk of using the skill. Renaming it isn't gonna fix it, and it's imo not the real point of this kind of feature, heck, hiding a skill is the one thing we DON'T want to have happen.

The real point is to flavor stuff. And you can't really reflavor racial skills.
(02-23-2023, 06:54 PM)Poruku Wrote: Banquet being called out is kinda part of the risk of using the skill. Renaming it isn't gonna fix it, and it's imo not the real point of this kind of feature, heck, hiding a skill is the one thing we DON'T want to have happen.

The real point is to flavor stuff. And you can't really reflavor racial skills.

I would disagree on that last bit. While some racials are tighter on their restrictions when it comes to flavour, the space is still there to do something fun and unique with it. Not everyone is born equal when it comes to how they function, in a sense. Stuff like Chimera and Amalgama come to mind since, while we do not exactly have a wide array unique skills for them, they could reflavour what they get in some way shape or form.

I do agree with that it being called out and all is a good risk for using it, though, so not leaving ANYTHING exempt from having the actual skill's name next/under it would be the better option.
[Image: psycholonials-andrew-hussie.gif]
Another homestuck in this hussie of a world.
(02-23-2023, 06:54 PM)Poruku Wrote: Banquet being called out is kinda part of the risk of using the skill.

Counterargument:
There's a difference between someone seeing it, RPing with you about it, and you have an interaction... and someone sees you, runs the fuck off, and starts screaming you being a Vampire to other people. That's not taking a fucking risk, Polk. That's trying to get your shit up privately, and someone's an asshole about it in a way that they don't get GM slapped because it's """technically""" IC. And realistically no, if you saw someone randomly biting Jammers, Sand Sharks, Barghests, etc. - they're just fucking weird. They're not automatically a vampire - or even a Wyverntouched. Lest you forget that Wyverntouched bite & suck people and monsters too for about the same effect since you can't actually SEE poison doing anything to a monster or person unless you SPECIFICALLY RP it that way - which people usually don't. Unless you're another Vampire, perish for randomly deciding you can metagame that just because you see a skill name.

But you are right for the record, it's mostly flavor - but including flavoring a racial in a way that isn't """as obvious""" IS a part of that flavor.

(02-23-2023, 04:30 PM)Shujin Wrote: But certainly could be abused and needs to be monitored, and not sure if the admins wanna deal with that.

Then... they wouldn't be admins in the first place? It's their job they signed up for with all it entails, Shujin. They already have to monitor the things I mentioned.

(02-23-2023, 05:13 PM)the homestuck man himself Wrote:
For normal skills:
Custom Skill Name (Actual Skill Name)

For skills that do not appear in the chat/invocations:

CUSTOM INVOCATION/SKILL NAME
(Actual Invocation/Skill Name)
This could be added to the other confusion inducing mechanics to a degree.

Phat agree, I wish I had this thought too but I know Kaw always got my ass-
Plus Autumn has a point too - I never said it'd be HIDING what the skill actually does. I said in the original post that you can just click the gold text in the chat box, and it still brings up the skill's same description. The point isn't to fully obfuscate something to where nobody has any idea of what you're doing at all ever no shot - it's to cater to your IC in a way to where you'll feel a slight bit more unique, or at least throw people off in the IC if that's how you want to flavor something