Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Censoring
Nobody asked for it to change IC chat, or the content of anything IC.

Nobody asked to make it a global setting, either.

And it would be a bit harder to be offended if one were to read

Quote:OOC Yoshike: Wow I almost got Ashe'd by the easiest enemie in arcane form. I feel ashamed
OOC Sderg3: How about you not use that Jammin' word.
Quote:OOC Devourer Of Souls: She left me for WoW?! THIS IS BULLSHIT

Quote:Underwhelmed green-haired girl shouts "BITING EACH OTHER IS NOT A LIZARD SEX THING."
Okay, So for censors, It's either going to be all or nothing. Because having a toggleable censor nigh pointless, unless it was automatically activated upon creating your first character by default. I can see where you're coming from about where you say,"I'd like for my daughter to play this", and that, but really, the only way I can see any of this being valid is if there was a written rule that stated,"This Game is rated E10+, everyone keep your content to mild blood content and very mild sexual content.". But there is no such rule, the only place where that rule was truly in place was on SL1. Couple all this with the fact that developer himself also is guilty of swearing from time to time, I don't see that rule being added either.

I WILL, however, condone the creation of a censor to censor "offensive" terms, but not including curse words. Perhaps for racial slurs, or derogatory terms used to describe homosexuals.
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=1590#p1590 Wrote:Maikito » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:06 pm[/url]"]I WILL, however, condone the creation of a censor to censor "offensive" terms, but not including curse words. Perhaps for racial slurs, or derogatory terms used to describe homosexuals.

Like Sly said though, that doesn't stop anybody. And censoring someone only means they can still act like a jackass with a pretty bold word to cover up their true meaning. It doesn't teach the person any lesson for treating others like shit, and it's still inexcusable behavior.
Quote:OOC Devourer Of Souls: I did literally nothing and have never played YGO in my life.
OOC Black Chaos X: OOC Devourer Of Souls: no one activated zera ritual
OOC Blissey: HHHAHAHAAA
OOC Devourer Of Souls: That's fake.

Tengen Toppa [Image: 2zolp55.jpg] !!!
To be blunt about this, we seriously don't need an entire system to tiptoe around someone's feelings.
Like this entire issue is generally avoided by being reasonable individuals.
If someone says something that you find offensive even though they clearly didn't mean it in any offensive way, just calmly point it out and ask them to refrain from doing so.
And let's be realistic here, 10 year olds don't even know about byond and no one is bringing their daughters to this game. No reason to cater to an audience we don't even have.
For a person that uses a mighty wide array of profanity whenever something doesn't go their way you have a strange reaction to this single word.

I find this suggestion ridiculous. It does not change anything. If people will want to make silly jokes, they will regardless. If people want to offend other people, they will regardless.

If you dislike seeing this specific word, or any other profanity, it will not change reactions to it as feelings get hurt anyways even if it's used IC.

This specific word and the author of this thread is a living example of such. The word rape was used ICly and he not only slandered the one that used it (me) via the use of a messaging client but also made his character incredibly hostile towards me for quite the amount of time and harassed me over it. (There are even logs of it still saved somewhere.)

To adress the "we wish to show this game to minors", the ruleset in place already has this in mind, as for the system of peoples feels getting hurt, this has been discussed in the past and already works on the "I am uncomfortable with this." "I apologize and will refrain from putting you into this situation in the future." system. You wish someone to be polite to you, be polite to them yourself. Which is pretty much what Sly said.

More on the showing this game to minors, do you really think that abortions, women getting cleaved in half and somehow surviving while the prospect of their future life is to be crippled, rape (yes, author of this thread was engaged in such rp and didn't seem to find anything like this wrong.) is going to be poisoned by little bit of OOC profanity /USED AS HUMOR/? (credit to Sderg for the art of emphasis)

Ryu already tried to enforce the purely 13 y/o rated enviroment and it was swept off table for quite the understandable reasons and the wave of negative responses to that. (Several people even left permanently.)

tl;dr

1. rules in place stop the jackasses that want to use the words to insult/harass people
2. censoring only OOC solves nothing, censoring both OOC and IC is dumb as hell. Especialy since RP that tiptoes around the topics is daily bread on SL2
3. you should realize that kids wont cry to their mommies or get somehow infected by the rare use of profanity. Do you guys even have a TV
4. Sderg you silly hypocrite
Censors in OOC or IC is pointless and will simply change nothing at all. It's simply replacing another word with another or asterisks. It's more so the fact that people should be punished when they're using to purposely belittle someone based on Religion, Race, or Sex purposely. While this may spark SJWs lashing out at people who make rape jokes in poor taste. (Which personally gets old after dealing with it in real life on several occasions) There should simply be a fine line between, "Oh hey it's an obvious joke". Emphasis on the obvious, they just need to simply be told to cut it out and if they aren't reasonable then let them get what they deserve. We've all made racist or sexist jokes at one point, I've sure have; it's simply a matter of it being dealt with properly.

To clarify, if they're openingly berating someone based on sex/race/religion.
Ex: "You're stupid because you're a [sex/race/religious affiliation]"
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=1595#p1595 Wrote:Daisuke » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:40 am[/url]"]
Like this entire issue is generally avoided by being reasonable individuals.
If someone says something that you find offensive even though they clearly didn't mean it in any offensive way, just calmly point it out and ask them to refrain from doing so.

This is my take on the matter.