Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Censoring
So you know how SL1 had censoring or some stuff? Can we have that implemented for OOC here and have it be a toggle thing. I'd really love to not hear " HAHA THAT JAMMER RAPED ME!"
Shut the crackers up, you Black Door
No one should be using 'raped' in a jesting manner anyway. If this is happening, and if anyone's using other words out of context to feed their grotesque sense of humor, I support the censor being implemented into OOC.
[Image: Y8FFQj7.jpg]
^Mercala's Favorite Apparently
[Image: To2mAPS.png](heh)
Nothing bad was directed at anyone.
Where is the problem exactly?
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=1550#p1550 Wrote:NaitoPsych » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:40 pm[/url]"]Shut the crackers up, you Black Door
It's also a decent idea if you report things to GMs with logs. Just saying.

Especially if people want to be funny and try to bypass the censor in some manner. Which they will try to do.
Quote:OOC Devourer Of Souls: I did literally nothing and have never played YGO in my life.
OOC Black Chaos X: OOC Devourer Of Souls: no one activated zera ritual
OOC Blissey: HHHAHAHAAA
OOC Devourer Of Souls: That's fake.

Tengen Toppa [Image: 2zolp55.jpg] !!!
So let's look at what he actually said and what you said in response.

OOC Yoshike: Wow I almost got raped by the easiest enemie in arcane form. I feel ashamed
OOC Sderg3: How about you not use that fucking word.

Now to me, that seems like nothing but a joke. It's not directed at anyone. It's not trying to purposefully offend anyone. And I don't think it's trying to make out that rape is not such a terrible thing.

But I'm not pleased by how you responsed to it. It's fine to ask people to stop talking about something that makes you uncomfortable but it is on the condition that you do so politely (and if they do so, please be respectful and oblige).

Also, keep in mind, he did genuinely apologize to you about it later on. So I don't think you should hold it against him.

Now a little more on the topic at hand about censoring. I think ultimately it's fruitless to implement a censor because you still know what they're actually saying.

(I.e. In SL1, Black Hole was the censor for asshole. So you always knew that whenever you saw a black hole bolded, what they actually said was asshole.)

Not to mention, you can still say offensive things without using 'offensive language', so if the intent of the censor was to stop people from saying offensive things then I don't think it'll do it's job effectively.
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
I support an optionable, toggle-able censor for Out Of Character Chat, because there is no problem with having it, because it is optionable, and toggle-able. Not everyone on BYOND is 18+, and I would like to be able to show this game to my ten year old sister.
Quote:OOC Devourer Of Souls: She left me for WoW?! THIS IS BULLSHIT

Quote:Underwhelmed green-haired girl shouts "BITING EACH OTHER IS NOT A LIZARD SEX THING."
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=1566#p1566 Wrote:Mivereous » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:19 pm[/url]"]I support an optionable, toggle-able censor for Out Of Character Chat, because there is no problem with having it, because it is optionable, and toggle-able. Not everyone on BYOND is 18+, and I would like to be able to show this game to my ten year old sister.

100% Agreed. RP is something my 13 year old niece could very well be interested in, soon, with her love of stories and trying to write her own, and I'd rather not have her putting up with the people who actually treat rape like a joke. Because it isn't. Same goes for just about any word thrown around freely on the internet that shouldn't be, including but not limited to slurs about mental disorders, homosexuality, familial relations of the lewd variety, and I could go on all day.
*loud burp*
Well problem being if it's optional, even the 13 year olds can just blatantly ignore that option since they can easily just turn it off. Plus it doesn't change IC chat or the content of the RPs you encounter. I'd honestly not recommend this to anyone below 16 myself because of the nature of things people do around here, or try to, but that's just my opinion.

I'd personally rather it not be forced me on either (aka, me having to see the censor), I've no problem with it being optional for each player. I just like a little realism and humanism in my roleplay; people curse, it happens. I do it too much for my own good myself. As for an optional thing though? No problems.

Entirely though, I agree with Sly's point.
Quote:OOC Devourer Of Souls: I did literally nothing and have never played YGO in my life.
OOC Black Chaos X: OOC Devourer Of Souls: no one activated zera ritual
OOC Blissey: HHHAHAHAAA
OOC Devourer Of Souls: That's fake.

Tengen Toppa [Image: 2zolp55.jpg] !!!
rape = Backstab
fag(got) = Oniger

I think these will at least work for a start. I've got nothing against most 'swears', but the first is a potent trigger word, while the other is blatantly against the rules. Even with the greatest intentions, these are better off placed where people aren't going to be offended by them point-blank.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye