Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equipment - Vanity System
Now to make things clear, I didn't mean for people to be able to add custom icons (but that wouldn't be so bad), but rather, that of other items to their equipment, with the items who's appearance is being taken, being destroyed maybe, or what not.

And of course, maybe add a new preference option that people can tick to turn off, if they do not wish to see custom weapons and stuff. And if you are concerned with dildo weapon custom icons, then simply report the person, and they will be banned, no? This is no more different than our CS profile image. People can put there whatever they want, and do they?

Also, if people want to to make edgy demon swords, then why stop them? Let them enjoy themselves, and if you do not find their character tasteful, you can always ignore them, simple as that.
Dynamic resources like icons contribute to savefile bloat, so I don't think that is likely to be a thing any time soon. It's possible that you might be able to change the appearance to another weapon of the same type that exists in the game already. Custom descriptions are also possible but something I'm a little ehh on. That's also data that has to be saved and loaded frequently, which doesn't mean it's a no go, but it is something to consider when you're talking about big inventories full of weapons with no real way to predict how extensively it'd be used on a per character basis.

Personally, I agree that the player profiles are a better use for this sort of thing. You have so much space in there that would be perfect for giving your weapon a little history or description if you really want to.
Well, savefile bloat - if it is anything alike some games I've modded - is quite bad. And even if we remove that from the suggestion itself, I think that just having the ability to change the flavor text would be good enough.

Now, I think that it is up to debate if the current way is better, or easier. Then again, easier does not always equate to better. For starters, the current system is very limited, as I've stated before. The description of your weapon, put on the profile, would be quite static. If you changed something, you would need to change the description as well. Secondly, unlike a wall of text that tends to make one iffy towards reading it, if one were to inspect a piece of equipment, the whole experience would improve, as it would be far more interesting. Not only that, but as Snoops mentioned before, it would give players incentive to display some items, items that can't have backstory, because they are not equipped. Not only that, but it could add another layer to RPing when it comes to the trade system - granting one the ability to make interesting trinkets and such.

As it is now, unless you are using the 'Plain' talent, you are only maybe hampering yourself when it comes to PvP, receiving only the ability to edit a name in return. I do not think this will be a system that will be overused really. Such as it is, now, few people do not use plain (although that may be because the system is lacking). In that case, you would be giving more options to those that have the will to go an extra mile, or meter for immersion - so that may not be much of a problem. On the other hand, if the system does end up being 'overused' that would mean that it is something people welcome.
I don't think that you're severely hampered if you do not use the plain talent, typically people don't have everything they need to counter build you on the spot and usually counter builds only work against weapons that deal elemental damage anyway, given hitting a resist proc sucks with them.

Plain exists for privacy sake, like if you don't want someone seeing your build or even in some cases you don't want them equipping an isesipian charm if you had earth damage on hit.