Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Focus on the Focus
(07-16-2024, 10:18 PM)Maromar158 Wrote: This ties mechanics to roleplay. I'm not really sure if I like it. I can see situations where a player wants to rp a character with a big focus pool but can't access it as a str/luck/gui maxer without any will/faith/san to write home about being told by people that's never met them that their focus levels are small.
I would treat that situation the same way with someone that has low strength stat-wise but roleplays otherwise, or someone that has low celerity but roleplays as dodging really well- it goes foul of having abilities your character doesn't actually have (as per Rule 3 on the old wiki, or admittedly more vaguely as per the new wiki and forums). There's already a connection for how mechanics tie to roleplay (redtails are lucky, glykins are immune to poison, etc). In my humble opinion, it is advantageous to have mechanics tied to roleplay, to better enhance them. Focus is a tangible thing in this world, and while it might not be literal discrete numbers in-lore, it is still a force measured by the game system nonetheless.
[Image: 7y3oPuY.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Sawrock's post:
  • MothEnthusiast, Poruku
(07-16-2024, 11:30 PM)Sawrock Wrote: I would treat that situation the same way with someone that has low strength stat-wise but roleplays otherwise, or someone that has low celerity but roleplays as dodging really well- it goes foul of having abilities your character doesn't actually have (as per Rule 3 on the old wiki, or admittedly more vaguely as per the new wiki and forums). There's already a connection for how mechanics tie to roleplay (redtails are lucky, glykins are immune to poison, etc). In my humble opinion, it is advantageous to have mechanics tied to roleplay, to better enhance them. Focus is a tangible thing in this world, and while it might not be literal discrete numbers in-lore, it is still a force measured by the game system nonetheless.

I get where you're coming from, but there's a difference between someone roleplaying a spell they don't have icly for metagame reasons and the number crunch not lining up perfectly with what your concept for a character is. One's an organic limitation, the other's an arbitrarily enforced one. Focus is a tangible thing in the the world and having it pigeonholed by something that forces people into a corner creatively makes for a stifling rp experience.

I do like the idea of focus sensing though. Maybe as a setting one could manipulate, or as it's already done by some, as something more consistently placed front and center in a charecter's profile. As it stands, there's nothing keeping you from emoting that you're sending feelers out to sense people's focus levels.
(07-16-2024, 11:46 PM)Maromar158 Wrote:
(07-16-2024, 11:30 PM)Sawrock Wrote: I would treat that situation the same way with someone that has low strength stat-wise but roleplays otherwise, or someone that has low celerity but roleplays as dodging really well- it goes foul of having abilities your character doesn't actually have (as per Rule 3 on the old wiki, or admittedly more vaguely as per the new wiki and forums). There's already a connection for how mechanics tie to roleplay (redtails are lucky, glykins are immune to poison, etc). In my humble opinion, it is advantageous to have mechanics tied to roleplay, to better enhance them. Focus is a tangible thing in this world, and while it might not be literal discrete numbers in-lore, it is still a force measured by the game system nonetheless.

I get where you're coming from, but there's a difference between someone roleplaying a spell they don't have icly for metagame reasons and the number crunch not lining up perfectly with what your concept for a character is. One's an organic limitation, the other's an arbitrarily enforced one. Focus is a tangible thing in the the world and having it pigeonholed by something that forces people into a corner creatively makes for a stifling rp experience.

I do like the idea of focus sensing though. Maybe as a setting one could manipulate, or as it's already done by some, as something more consistently placed front and center in a charecter's profile. As it stands, there's nothing keeping you from emoting that you're sending feelers out to sense people's focus levels.

Stats are exactly similar to how abilities and spells someone has are treated- Dev has clarified what stats can be used for what feats in-game, for example with what 60 strength can do here.
(07-17-2024, 12:17 AM)Sawrock Wrote:

Stats are exactly similar to how abilities and spells someone has are treated- Dev has clarified what stats can be used for what feats in-game, for example with what 60 strength can do here.

Stats CAN be used for feats, yes. But do they HAVE to be? That's a slope I don't really like rolling down because then a frail kensei that's supposed to be portrayed as weak and dainty but skilled with a blade that takes high str for a katana build mechanically will be incongruous with the character concept due to mechanical junk.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I like things that expand your options for rp rather than narrowing them down, and this may be something that can have a narrowing effect. Where does 'don't rp having skills you don't begin and the creative freedom to define the bodies and abilities of our characters end? Can someone not icly make an invention by themselves because they can't mechanically get metalworker 6, alch 6, and enchanter 6 at the same time? (yes, I know this is an absurd example, but it represents what I'm trying to express)
(07-17-2024, 12:24 AM)Maromar158 Wrote:
(07-17-2024, 12:17 AM)Sawrock Wrote:

Stats CAN be used for feats, yes. But do they HAVE to be? That's a slope I don't really like rolling down because then a frail kensei that's supposed to be portrayed as weak and dainty but skilled with a blade that takes high str for a katana build mechanically will be incongruous with the character concept due to mechanical junk.

In my preference, they would use something that scales off of GUI or SKI and make the build work as best they could. For example, when I played Uncle Kenn, I used a dancing shiv with ghost/void assassin, because he couldn't be a kensei due to no katanas at the time scaling off of non-strength stats, he's a frail old man, and also because he used a shortsword, which uses piercing strikes instead of slashing. I saw what was available to me and realized what options I could not take, and did what I could. In fact, not only do his stat match his abilities, he also has his abilities match what his IC is- Uncle Kenn uses absolutely no void in his void assassin skills.

The restrictions are good to avoid poor roleplay- having too many in-lore stats can get closer to godmodding, and while your example of having effectively less stats in-lore is not nearly as problematic, it can still be a concern for other examples.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sawrock's post:
  • Maromar158
Ultimately, the original concept of the idea probably isn't the way to go. If the trait were to be added in the 'flex' way I mentioned earlier, I don't think it'd be capable of really limiting RP in the way described. If you have low FP and want to RP being high focus, don't take the trait. If you see someone who has the trait, you can choose to RP it or not.
(07-17-2024, 12:43 AM)Sawrock Wrote: In my preference, they would use something that scales off of GUI or SKI and make the build work as best they could. For example, when I played Uncle Kenn, I used a dancing shiv with ghost/void assassin, because he couldn't be a kensei due to no katanas at the time scaling off of non-strength stats, he's a frail old man, and also because he used a shortsword, which uses piercing strikes instead of slashing. I saw what was available to me and realized what options I could not take, and did what I could. In fact, not only do his stat match his abilities, he also has his abilities match what his IC is- Uncle Kenn uses absolutely no void in his void assassin skills.

The restrictions are good to avoid poor roleplay- having too many in-lore stats can get closer to godmodding, and while your example of having effectively less stats in-lore is not nearly as problematic, it can still be a concern for other examples.

This is a baller adaptation, and I respect the hell out of it. I'm afraid that I still disagree on principle though. I think we're from different camps where the degree of separation between stats and writing is concerned. In your case you didn't do kensei and found something that works. Another person could really be in love with the idea of wielding a katana with that concept and being in the kensei class, but gets gated by numbers. It's a bad feel, and takes more away from the rp experience than it adds for people that don't find numbercrunch to be fun.

As for the restrictions being good to avoid poor roleplay? Yesn't?

Nothing's stopping someone from using the very same restrictions as a means of godmodding (My str is much higher than yours so I crush your windpipe and you can't get around this because your vit and defense are lacking). I'd leave it up to common sense and nuance for players to avoid godmodding instead.

Being able to make things work within your preference is great. Imposing that preference on others isn't so great while things are still a little hazy on the divide between mechanics and rp.

(07-17-2024, 12:46 AM)MothEnthusiast Wrote: Ultimately, the original concept of the idea probably isn't the way to go. If the trait were to be added in the 'flex' way I mentioned earlier, I don't think it'd be capable of really limiting RP in the way described. If you have low FP and want to RP being high focus, don't take the trait. If you see someone who has the trait, you can choose to RP it or not.

A 'flex' command that displays mechanical stats might be fun. I feel iffy about it but displaying your stats to others instead of having your stats called out for you in ways that may reveal identities or invalidate IC is better.

I can see spats started in looc between someone who refuses to be pinned by someone's mechanical sensing trait because it'll dampen their experience and the mechanical sensor being upset because they feel the same way because they took a trait that they can't apply to everyone. A headache.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Maromar158's post:
  • Sawrock
(07-17-2024, 01:04 AM)Maromar158 Wrote:
(07-17-2024, 12:46 AM)MothEnthusiast Wrote: Ultimately, the original concept of the idea probably isn't the way to go. If the trait were to be added in the 'flex' way I mentioned earlier, I don't think it'd be capable of really limiting RP in the way described. If you have low FP and want to RP being high focus, don't take the trait. If you see someone who has the trait, you can choose to RP it or not.

A 'flex' command that displays mechanical stats might be fun. I feel iffy about it but displaying your stats to others instead of having your stats called out for you in ways that may reveal identities or invalidate IC is better.

I can see spats started in looc between someone who refuses to be pinned by someone's mechanical sensing trait because it'll dampen their experience and the mechanical sensor being upset because they feel the same way because they took a trait that they can't apply to everyone. A headache.

Oh, no, not a flex command. A reworking of the trait idea in the OP. It's a few posts back, but essentially instead of sensing others, you're projecting your own focus comparison when they examine you. So in your profile it'd list [X focus comparison to viewer]. Purely for focus, purely for the viewer of the profile of someone who has the trait.
[-] The following 5 users Like MothEnthusiast's post:
  • Maromar158, Miller, Poruku, Sawrock, zericosmic
Random Idea, cause I personally like it:
can the flavor text also be colored in whatever color their highest elemental attack is, so you can sense the most dominant affinity?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shujin's post:
  • Poruku
(07-17-2024, 06:40 AM)Shujin Wrote: Random Idea, cause I personally like it:
can the flavor text also be colored in whatever color their highest elemental attack is, so you can sense the most dominant affinity?
Suddenly annoyingly bright profile with white text for light attack because light blue goes good with muh uwu Heron.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water