Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Katana Dork Special (Sheath Sword + Voltiger)
Simple change, can we have sheath sword grant Voltiger or a Voltiger-like buff that only affects Kensei Skills for 1 round at the start of the next round? This could be attached to Zen Blade or Sheath Sword itself. (The former is so it can have a cooldown.)

There's currently no sources of 'Voltiger' outside of Flottement which is tied entirely to dodging and Kensei honestly feels a lot better by having some source of Voltiger to make up for mobility.

And honestly?

It'd be cool.
[-] The following 10 users Like Miller's post:
  • Anhita, Fern, K Peculier, Poruku, Pyro, Ray2064, Snake, SpaceShibe, the homestuck man himself, zericosmic
With the prevalence of (boringly) building an overwhelming amount of defense, it would be nice if Kensei could helm splitter even a tiny fracture on those opposing builds with some more reliable tools so I approve of the potential buff.

I honestly wish Sheath Sword had a guessing element like with boxer geists because its even easier to ignore, or even a way to bolster defenses instead of readying a counter attack.

(When will Kensei be able to deflect spells i hate magic)
[Image: tenor.gif]
[-] The following 4 users Like K Peculier's post:
  • Anhita, Miller, Pyro, Snake
It could fuse both ideas.

Sheath Sword at Rank 3+ could grant Voltiger alongside Sacred Art, or automatically trigger Flottement after you activate Quick Draw, making you step away.

And then Quick Draw could just proc upon being attacked in general similar to Riposte's own conditions, rather than being basic hit in the front. It's way too limiting.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
A bump!

Sheath Sword - 3/3 SP

Sword Skill. Put your sword in your sheath after facing target location; if it is a Katana, you also prepare a Quick Draw. When an enemy within 1 Range you are facing attacks you, you will draw your sword, applying Touki and preparing a basic attack on them first with bonuses to Hit and Damage and then trigger Flottement if it is equipped.

Quick Draw will be expended at the start of your next turn or after triggering. If it doesn't trigger, you will gain Sacred Art if it is equipped and gain Voltiger LV 5 (or power up an existing status to a maximum of 25% damage, 10 duration).
It doesn't have to be the rank 3 bonus but if you want people to max out the skill at all, it can be the rank 3 bonus yeah.
The problem with kensei is that you do all these flashy moves but it's ultimately a mid allrounder. Your crit damage sucks compared to daggers, your SWA skills are ok but then spells are just better, you're not tanky and you can't evade without getting carried by rogue or bonder... Kensei has combos and some degree of versatility but the issue is that the combos and good parts of kensei are situational so the versatility is not as good.

When playing kensei I believe the stronger version is using evasion, and a lot of that is due to duelist. Voltiger, flottement, and perfect poise are absolutely incredible. Thus the ideal kensei uses dodge to make use of that, not to mention that absolute pace at the moment is actually kinda fire, although again it's a bit hard to actually pull off especially when it's not a 1v1.

Adding voltiger to tank kensei would make it actually quite good. Voltiger bridges a lack in kensei's surprisingly weak mobility, and lack of crit damage.

I think on top of that we should add a tiny bit more evade to kensei's kit so that it can be played as evade outside of rogue/bonder, like with a martial artist subclass. Something that passively gives you a +5 or +10 evade buff while you're fighting would be good. Like +5 evade until your next turn when you use a 3m+ move skill and another +5 when you hit an enemy with a sword, and maybe another when you trigger a combo. Something like that. I think adding this while also adding the voltiger option for non-evade builds would finally see a rise in this class' viabilitiy where it can actually compete.

The previous changes to kensei were really needed and feel good but the class could really use this push to bring them to a good place. Especially tank kensei which would feel way cooler now