Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imprisonment
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=11460#p11460 Wrote:Soapy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:05 am[/url]"]If you want a slice of life with occasional (usually private) conflict, play SL. It was made for that.
Was just asked to post what I said in Skype:
[8:23:53 PM] Kyle Broflovski: it's a fantasy mmorpg. not to say those can't be slice of life, but real life is not crowded with people who want to shove their weapons into everyone else's rectums and scantily clad women fucking eachother every 5 minutes.
[8:24:34 PM] Kyle Broflovski: slice of life implies that these things happen in real life and that is the main focus
[8:24:34 PM] Kyle Broflovski: 75% of sl2 things don't happen irl.
[8:25:09 PM] Kyle Broflovski: i don't walk half way across my country without breaking a sweat to see if my friend is there

But, in my usual annoying fashion, I'll continue anyways. The only way SL2 even slightly resembles real life is some of the talks you can hear people having. The way some things are advertised (Sderg's Arena and Tourny being one of them, through poster and oral promotion), and having a possible family. Speaking of which, is way less difficult to come by IRL than in SL2, since there's more of an equal scale of male to female.
As I mentioned before, Slice of Life does lean more towards the implication that these things happen to real people, and not just fictional ones. Even in anime (Lucky Star, K-On!!, Free!, Watamote, etc.) Apologies for using Wikipedia (for those snobby types who think it's not a credible source...), but:
"Slice of life is a phrase describing the use of mundane realism depicting everyday experiences in art and entertainment." / "The literary term refers to a storytelling technique that presents a seemingly arbitrary sample of a character's life, which often lacks a coherent plot, conflict, or ending. The story may have little plot progress and often has no exposition, conflict, or dénouement, with an open ending."
Neither of these descriptions describe SL2 accurately. Does SL2 have the elements of a slice of life story at some points? Yes, it does. There are often boring points where character go through these, and it's natural, and they can be similar to those seen in real life experiences. The rest of SL2 is a fantasy/sci-fi (is not only from guns and mechinations) MMORPG, and all if not most events in SL2 show you this clear as day.
Dev's plot of Kinu trying to find the God Graves along with the player? Yeah, stuff likes this happens irl. Little Timmy the 18 year old boy with Dragon Wings completely mastered the art of being a Monk and can beat trained professionals? Yeah, my cousin did that last weak. Some girl wearing only a pretty dress with beautiful long hair perfectly mastering the art of magic that can destroy litterally everyone? Became one of those last month. Little miss Princess Handjob becomes a successful rich woman because she can wreck everyone who challenges her to a fight while Dave the Scientist invents space flight and gets nothing for it because he can't even throw a punch? Happens all the time.
[Image: da4KzKk.png]

Messages In This Thread