Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imprisonment
I, for one, like what the guards represent- they bring a level of maturity, and realism to the RP. Most of what they disrupt seems to be based almost entirely around relationship drama, too- some Sigrogana Legend role-players seem to mistake dating for a 'valid means of producing RP, and pushing plots forward', and will start dating someone, break up, start dating someone new, and cyber at least once in all that, in the course of a single day. Most of the most 'dramatic kinds of RP' are built around relationship drama, as a result- young couples arguing, people loving the same person and fighting over them, 'defending m'lady's honor', etc. etc.

Guards disrupt that, and I think that's a good thing. It's making people question what they can do to produce RP, that isn't just arguing about who's really dating Sally CatEars McBigTits, or white-knighting for female characters so hard, that fedoras materialize out of thin-air upon everyone present's heads, and tip themselves before anyone even knows what's going on. I'm not saying that that kind of RP is wrooong, I'm just saying that that shouldn't really be the 'point' of SL2. For all the plot, the lore, the classes, the combat, the political intrigue, the societies, and the events to all amount to who's -truly- Stoic "Handsome Swordsman #42" Johnson's actual waifu. Aiming higher is not a bad thing...

As for the concept of being punished with lengthy stays in the prison- I think the problem here isn't so much that the prison exists, and that stays in it can be lengthy- it's that commiting crimes in the first place isn't particularly satisfying. If you were doing something genuinely wrong, and were reaping rewards of some kind for it, like actually stealing from people, or actually causing damages that wouldn't just regenerate- like heck, here's an idea, give cities economic 'health-bars' invisible to the average player. If property gets damaged through the proper mechanics, the city's economic health takes a hit. Steal something from an NPC? Minor hit to the health bar. It regenerates over time as murai flows in and out of the city, but if ever it hits the negatives, then A) The Guards aren't doing their job, because I mean, with a lot of cities/towns, their economies are so solid, only consistent crime could possibly bring them down, that even a single guard could have discouraged, and B) There's some effect on the town, the plot, the factions involved, maybe even like, bandits, and random encounters spawn in the city, ravaging the place, and attacking players, making it unsafe to visit, because it's a 'wretched hive of scum and villainy'.

But yes, being jailed for fighting in inter-personal drama-sodes, for lengthy periods of time, that can be frustrating, I imagine. If crimes were able to be scaled on levels of varying severity, you could probably get away with arguing in favor of less harsh punishments. Defending yourself when someone attacks you, that could get you a slap on the wrist- doing something that can be tangibly proven was a crime, and detrimental to someone, or something that makes up society, that'd get you a deserving punishment - that hopefully feels justified, thanks to the satisfaction of the crime.

Messages In This Thread