Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leveling out VIT
"Ahalaniel" Wrote:Those on the Discord have probably heard me complaining about VIT over the last week or so. It is above and beyond the most valuable stat.

1 VIT is 10 HP.

1 DEF is a 1% physical resistance.

1 RES is a 1% magical resistance.

In order for either of those "mitigation" stats to match VIT in value, you need to take over 1000 damage of either damage type (1000x0.01=10) in one damage roll. That right there is insane enough on its own. If you're taking on average 250 damage a turn, that makes VIT four times as valuable as either defensive stat. If that damage is split 60/40 - let's say 150 physical, 100 magical - in that scenario, 1 VIT is as effective as almost seven points into DEF and 10 points of DEF - at the same time. In that scenario, 1 VIT = 17 stat points elsewhere.

A decent chunk of this is misleading.

Comparing Vit versus Def/Res doesn't need to account for damage taken in one attack. 1% physical resistance will equal out with 1 Vit when you take 1000 damage to your effective health, which isn't just your HP value. Effective health is the amount of damage you can soak before dying, and is a function of your %DR and your total HP. That means taking 250 damage a turn makes 1 defense of equal use to 1 vit once you've gotten to four rounds, assuming you quite literally have 1 Defense.

See here:
+1 Vit puts you at 1000 HP: 250 + 250 + 250 + 250 = 1000 damage taken by 4 rounds.
+1 Def puts you at 990 HP and 1% DR: 247.5 + 247.5 + 247.5 + 247.5 = 990 damage taken by 4 rounds.

If you want me to go into more specific math I can, but the point I'd get around to making is that Vit is not inherently stronger than the other defensive stats since they scale multiplicatively with one another when calculating your effective health.

That said, I agree with the OP. Nerfing Vit pulls a little bit of power from one half of that equation, which still helps with everyone getting it. I still think something will need to be done that ties classes to soft caps later down the line, but any little bit helps.

Messages In This Thread