Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Throwing Dodge a Bone [Evasion Adjustments]
(07-08-2020, 02:08 AM)Maksimum_Fire Wrote: Option two kinda feels liiike,  concentrating evasion ability in the classes that are supposed to be able to evade even more than before.  I don't think this'll change evasion's viability in general, but more boost those classes viability.  I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily though?

but tbh, I'd like to see a more global revamp to evasion; and not just in increasing DR.  Increasing the Evasion DR just means that it'll be more important to find ways to bypass evasion since they'll start approaching tank-ish levels of DR(almost).  I think it'd be nice to see more effects that proc on Evasion, rather than just evade, and skills that exist already should be more effective on evasion.  I think Flottement, something that's fallen out of the meta in some people's eyes, should reduce the damage you take from an Evasion!'d attack by 50%, once per round, kinda like a pseudo-cobra.  I think MA's Evasive strike should get a greater range, and should take an effect when proccing Evasion.  Rogue's Evasion definitely needs to see a revamp in this system, but I'm not really sure what it should be.  I think that a skill similar to what the engineer has for evading attacks and having your bots shoot back would be good to have as an archer skill; though if it seems like too much, it might be good to make it a handgun-exclusive skill for magic gunners, since those are meant to be the 'fastest' of shooty boyz.  I think any sort of 'on evade' effect proccing on evasion would be great, along with a few other things being added, because it would keep evasion feeling different from just stacking up DR.  Like I mentioned before, of course, this really needs to be something kinda expansive, though, to give at the very least most classes a way to build evasion; though I think it's understandable if stuff like arb or BK doesn't support evasion.

Light armorr, might be in need of examination for some changes, since right now it doesn't really get used to my knowledge?  Getting 15% DR in exchange for all those stats you invested tends to just not feel worth, so it's usually only used for whatever special effect it has on a tanky build, or if it's in-fighter gi, since in-fighter gi gets bonus evasion DR. even then, I think people only really think of the option for mainclass ranger, since they want to take advantage of the innate.

That's my two or three cents.  I think this is a great post that addresses something important to a lot of people.

I agree that it sorta concentrates the problem into a select few classes, given what was stated earlier if you just bump Evasion's global DR by a ton, you may run into the problem where people just run CEL DEF RES and hope they trigger evasion through the usage of miragewalk and stuff, it may not happen to higher hit builds but it will be frustrating in general. The 2nd option sort of avoids this by concentrating Evasion DR into classes that suit it and don't have substantial staying power/DRs already (Imagine say Demon Hunter/Ghost/Bonder getting this change too). I think this is the safest option of course.

What you mentioned is something I would like to bring up, changing the new "On Evade" effects like Brain Freeze/Evoke Retaliation/etc. into on-evasion or evade effects is...very encouraging to dodgies, it separates how they play from their tanky counterpart pretty well and will encourage more people to play dodgy. As such they may want to invest into classes that actually benefit them like Kensei or Monk or Verglas etc.

Evasive strike triggering on regular evade is probably more than fine, it actually does do a pretty decent chunk of damage and can trigger alongside Riposte as well, so I have very little issue with that, also not to mention both Verglas and Boxer have on-evade effects that could be changed to on-evasion as well.

Light armor doesn't feel very worth it at all either I agree with that, I wouldn't mind seeing its viability be bumped, as infighter gi is the only light armor that feels good for dodgies at the current moment.

Currently I feel that a very good way to encourage and reward dodgy play is to give them more damage tools to work with, this may set them into a more 'cannon' like role than their tankier counterparts might, I know for a fact that even if I die early, I feel satisfied with making a bigger impact than barely any at all.

(07-08-2020, 02:36 AM)FatherCrixius Wrote: These changes look good on the surface level, but I am worried the dr stacking might make dodgetanking a whole lot more viable. As it stands, it can be relatively easy to increase your DR past what's attainable /natty/. I can't think of many sleek ways to combat this, but would like to see the changes not overly benefit the most viable forms of dodging.

I'm a bit worried about that as well, I wanted to suggest a system in my post that would increase or decrease evasion DR based on your actual hit rate since the people running dodge-tank generally do so without any luck, but ultimately anyone with decent hit, even 50 something skill and no luck, shouldn't have too many troubles vs these folk.

That said, if it is a worry, you could have Evasion DR decreased by a 'glancing' system instead, where it would decrease the DR based on how much greater your hit chance is on that person. (So if you had a 50% chance to hit that miragewalk full tank boxer, you would decrease their evasion DR subsequently by half)

(07-08-2020, 03:17 AM)Perdition Wrote: While some kind of buff is clearly needed for dodge strategies, and buffing Evasion DR may very well be the answer, I can't help but feel it's not a good change overall. I've said this before, but evasion is just tanking with extra steps. Instead of just having straightforward DR from your defense and resistance, you have conditional DR that only triggers if you overcome a hit check.

Truthfully, I think evasion would need to be changed to something else entirely, because it makes dodge vs tanking and cel, def, and res feel like superficial stats. It just feels like pick your flavor for triggering DRs, just one is shittier than the other but as compensation you can ignore basic attacks. The problem is once the DR that comes with ignoring basic attacks is consistently higher than what you get from using def/res then it becomes strictly better which is sort of what Crix was touching at.

I do think buffing numbers currently is the only answer we have available to us. Its really just been decided that there's really no other way, its a turn based strategy game, and you can't just avoid hits based on a speed stat or having access to mobility skills. You are going to get hit no matter what and subsequently you'll die much faster than Hexer Harry sitting over on his own with 60% Phys and Mag DR, Crit immunity and just as much damage as anyone else.

If you open up avenues of approach for dodgies like with introducing evade/evasion-specific skills, at the very least you're opening up new playstyles for dodge characters, even Verglas has a difference for both dodge and tank at the current moment.

The ability to dodge basic attacks ALWAYS has to be considered when buffing dodge as well, it is effectively a 100% DR vs them when it triggers, and currently the system for basic attacks favors dodge, unless you are running a lot of hit buffs.

Addendum:
If you were to introduce more damage tools to dodgy characters, I would do so by causing on-evade skills to trigger on-evasion as well, with the exception of Evasive Strike I feel. Brain Freeze, Security System and Krahenflugel are all strong enough effects to feel rewarding, Evoke Retaliation however is not, I would probably make Evoke Retaliation stack when triggered, like up to a cap.
[Image: zo2BdSr.pngp]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Autumn's post:
  • FatherCrixius

Messages In This Thread
RE: Throwing Dodge a Bone [Evasion Adjustments] - by Autumn - 07-08-2020, 04:43 AM