Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.11 Average
Opinion on the current state of SL2 as a RP game
I just want to say thank you all for all your contributions to the topic, I really appreciate it. I believe everyone here has raised valid points, honestly.

I would to quickly chime in and comment on a few things. (Please bear with me I don't know how to properly use the quotes system)

Ethan commented on the following: "The main problem with the state of Sigrogana is it's conflict of identity. The game can't really decide what it wants to be, does it want to a video game first and a role play game second? Or does it want to be a roleplay game with video game elements?"

I have felt very similar for a good chunk of the years I've played this game. It doesn't feel like SL2 has a strong sense of what it PRIMARILY wants to be. I have often gotten the impression that the game is meant to be a video game first, and a roleplay game second, but whether that's on track with Dev's own wishes or not is not something I'm certain of.

Some people commented on the stagnancy of the world. I agree. I have always agreed with this sentiment, and I have desired for it to be different myself. The world being a "sandbox that is made of concrete" alludes to the idea that SL2 is a video game first and a roleplay setting second. And if a video game does not have much replayability material, then people are more likely to feel they don't want to care about it anymore.

I, by no means, am trying to offend Dev by mentioning these things. God knows I cherish Dev for giving me a game that's had such a positive impact on my growth as a person. I plan on playing SL2 for a very long time regardless if I can help it. I respect Dev's ability to be a one man army with the game's development, even if I don't think it's the best idea and I can imagine he has his own reasons for not wanting to work with other people.

As much as I can say, "yes there are glaring problems in the game that should be addressed before they cause the game to rot..." I can't really say I have the perfect solution for any of the things I've mentioned, or the things I've seen get mentioned. The idea of more public events, as I had said, was a thought for a slight alleviation of the problem. I understand that they are not easy to make, I have been there and know how it feels well enough to say that I can empathize. I've been trying my best to get the Falcon stuff sorted out in a way that can be enjoyable to people and I really, really hope to get that rolling soon even with all the setup difficulties, regardless of the state the game is currently in.

When people talk about shaking up the world and making it feel more alive, I don't think they meant Eternia's perpetual war events. You can make an environment feel more alive by making it feel as if something is actually happening in it, whether that's combat related, political conflict or perhaps group movements of some kind. But they also don't expect a "one-off" and then not again for a long time.

Off the top of my head, the only times I can say that I have felt as if the world had been given some life to it were two, and both of them were mostly conflict:

-Most of Bloeden Het Droog, the notion that Bloeden actually had a chance to attempt assasinating the Emperor Elias S. Erachial and that something came out of it was pretty exciting. Dev's responses towards Bloeden's stuff, on top of actually adding crows to Law's End and RPing with us even if it was through the forums made it EVEN MORE exciting and interesting to keep track of. If you're a newer player and wonder what all this is about, the long story short is that Bloeden had made it seem as if Oniga wanted to start a fuss with Sigrogana by sending forth man-made mutated monsters to Cellsvich, claiming to battle for the Tennou if memory serves right.

-Black Falcon's destruction of Cellsvich, I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, of course. Long story short for anyone unaware, but Black Falcon is a terrorist organization whose leader has a fierce hatred for the Sigrogana Emperor and wants to put him out for good, so he can take over the throne and apparently 'set things right' (which doesn't really mean good things for anyone, really.) At one point during... 2017 I believe? We had made arrangements to perform a raid on Cellsvich because Arael (the leader) wanted to obliterate it in order to send a message to the emperor. Cellsvich ended up being ICly destroyed and some player characters died (not by force) in the process. A forum post of the aftermath was put up, and later on a new Cellsvich Map (the one you see now) designed by LatentSparrow was implemented by Dev. This map has quite a few graves of people that died during the Cellsvich destruction in its graveyard.

These are the only examples of "world life" I've experienced, off the top of my head, in the 7 years I have played this game. I feel this sort of thing is extremely scarce, and it doesn't really have to be a war conflict every time like I had previously mentioned. World life in SL2 is considered so unlikely that when I was talking about the idea of the Cellsvich destruction, people kept telling me it was impossible to do because it wouldn't be allowed. I honestly had asked Dev for permission fully expecting to be shot down but I wanted to try anyway, and I was very happy when he approved it.

I didn't really try to professionally structure this post and it ended up more of a ramble so I apologize for that, but I hope my thoughts are easy enough to understand.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Fern's post:
  • BlackLynx3, Roland_Staghare

Messages In This Thread
RE: Opinion on the current state of SL2 as a RP game - by Fern - 09-29-2020, 09:03 PM