Poll: Do you think DoTs should be toned down?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Absolutely, they're too strong/toxic
50.00%
5 50.00%
No, they're fine as they are
40.00%
4 40.00%
Neutral/no opinion
10.00%
1 10.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The State of Damage over Time
I'm in the side where poison is a little too... prevalent. The fact it's strong is due to how 'burst-y' it is. If I recall correctly, poison in RPGs do only a fraction of the enemy's health, like 5% at the very most. In SL2, Poison has the potential to do from 10% of someone's maximum HP to 15% if we add Hexer into the equation.

It's really, really strong. Mainly because someone OBVIOUSLY won't "just" have Poison doing its damage, but also the kerploofles amount of burst damage everything in SL2 has nowadays.

How do I believe we should approach this more passively? Argentyle Cavern acting like Hikari's blessing, letting us spend more Murai for a longer duration on its effects. It's currently the only solid way to slow down from getting your insides molten inside-out. Looking at Snake-Tooth Necklace and other methods to resist Poison damage should be also considered. Even competent adventurer in any RPG knows that they'll brush with poison, infection, etc. And they're well-prepared for those things.

Though, the more aggressive approach? A rework. Poison shouldn't be tied to level anymore. It shouldn't be intensified or weakened based on it's "potency". What I suggest is the status effect starting from 1% of someone's maximum HP, and every round the toxins worsen by +2%, becoming 3%, then 5%, then 7%, then 9% to finally cap at 10% (or 11% for consistency).

As for duration, Poison should either last longer, like 10 rounds, or, being Poisoned while already Poisoned increases the duration by 1 round, to encourage a less 'poisons u and then uses 7M guard as you die' playstyle. Which is honestly, both very effective and very frustrating to fight against.

This way 'all' poison effects will fall in line to the same effect. There won't be 'stronger poison' or 'weaker poison' based on what you're running. Only ways to make it worthwhile, like for example.

Menov's Fang could accelerate its effect to 10% immediately, increase the damage by 50%, but reduce the duration to 4 rounds and prevent it being refreshed.
Bow of the Green Forest already speaks for itself, being able to refresh the duration every shot from anywhere in the map. It could simply just accelerate its effect on its own way. 1% more to contribute for a faster capping of its damage.

The change will mostly affect what once were 'ineffective ways' of inflicting poison, like Incise or Snake Shot.

As for Burn? Do I need to say much beyond 'why the hell it affects aptitude'? Losing 20 DEF out of nowhere on top of effects like Rampaging is as good as just shrugging and forfeiting a fight because they've stripped you of everything you had to fight them. And the kicker? It doesn't affect Monsters.

It has NO USE IN PVE. Monsters all have base stats set sky-high and no aptitude. So if a Monster burns you? Good bye, son. If you burn a Monster? They cackle and feel tickled.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like Snake's post:
  • GSM, Ham, K Peculier

Messages In This Thread
The State of Damage over Time - by GSM - 03-17-2021, 12:53 AM
RE: The State of Damage over Time - by Snake - 03-17-2021, 01:11 AM
RE: The State of Damage over Time - by Slydria - 03-17-2021, 02:29 AM
RE: The State of Damage over Time - by Snake - 03-17-2021, 04:11 AM
RE: The State of Damage over Time - by Autumn - 03-17-2021, 04:29 AM