Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Antagonist Guide - Polk
I've written a guide about how I play antagonists, literally because someone wanted to know. And I got so into it, so passionate, that I poured out everything I had to say. I thought some people would find it useful, and that if at least one person got something good out of it, it would have been worthwhile. The fact so many of you are calling it self-centered or whatever is honestly heartbreaking considering this is an expression of my love for this game and what I've learned, that I wanted to share because I have such a strong connection to this game and I've enjoyed doing this so much.

I'll respond to your points, however.

Bryce_Hego
Quote:There's almost nothing about SL2 ganks that contribute to really anything good

I think most of your points stem from this, and honestly that's fine. I understand that not everyone will respond well to ganking. I try to be understanding and make sure it's fun for the other side as well, but in the end this might happen. Being an antagonist means knowing your audience, and that's why you need to be cautious when interacting with others to try gleaning whether they are enjoying it or forcing themselves. Still, there's a fun and spontaneous element to ganking that I enjoy, and I know many others do, as well. I don't plan on stopping ganking entirely, but I'll take your post into consideration.

As a note, no, we don't gank people with optimized comps. I like to just play whatever build I feel like making.

Mewni
Quote:The best guide one can have on antagonism is to not follow this thread, at all.

Unless you want to dish out a lot of shallow characters

I literally have no idea how you got that from my post. I explain at length how to make a character with a lot of depth. Please share your concerns with me directly next time, because this is very hurtful.

Dezark

Quote:I gotta say, if anyone is gonna give the guide to antags and such; i'd say it Sawrock.

Pretty sure he even got a old guide on the forums somewhere for it.

I have utmost respect for Sawrock, he's a legend and I learned a lot from him. The only reason I didn't mention him is because I didn't want to speak for him. He has his own guide, but I regret not adding a mention of him since he's been a big influence. I will probably do that at some point.

I don't know how that detracts from my post or is really related. Sawrock has his own style, I have mine. Both guides can exist. Both styles are valid.

Moku, Tana and Imotep

Quote:how does being a lesbian foster conflict?
This was a joke. It's referring to the prevalence of them, as well as Geladyne medical. We often joke about "disaster lesbians", I didn't come up with that. I don't get how this could be construed as not a joke honestly. I just put it in there without thinking because it just seemed so perfectly out of place in that list while poking fun at characters I love like Iosefka. To be clear, I have nothing against lesbians.

Imotep

Quote:The kind of antagonism you're advertising here is very much like a scooby doo monster of the week type of villain.

A proper antagonist character falls into one of three catagories, in my opinion.

I appreciate that you're bringing your own vision to the table, but I do think I have touched on this in my post. There are multiple types of villains, both in execution and in terms of the actual character writing. And all of them can be valid as long as they're enjoyable.

FaeLenx

Quote:There's a lot of bad things to glean from this. It seems to condemn or otherwise deter specific sorts of storytelling as 'lesser' or 'worse.'
This was never my intention, and I'm really sorry if it came off that way. I think the part of the post where I state that this is just my opinion and my way to play and every way is valid was a bit too short, or it should have been more prevalent with disclaimers at the start and throughout.

It presents a layer of off color humor that really detracts from any point it's trying to make.
Quote:It presents a layer of off color humor that really detracts from any point it's trying to make.
I'm sorry you feel that way. I guess that kind of humor isn't for everyone. I enjoyed adding my own touch of edgy humor to this post because it is so personal to me. I had a lot of fun writing this guide and so I didn't hold back. In hindsight, I should have been more careful, but I didn't expect this level of aversion to it. I'll be careful in the future.

FaeLenx

Quote:It's slightly masturbatory with references to one's own characters that most people won't have met
I used my characters in the meme because it was a meme I made for fun. The actual pictures of the characters are just there as a wink to people who know them. Honestly, I'm wounded that you see this as masturbatory. I've poured my soul and my experiences into this post because I wanted to share my journey, my love for this game and antagging, my techniques and my stories. It is a very personal post, so that's probably why it comes off as self-centered. I learned from playing my characters, and that improved my enjoyment of the game. That's why I wanted to share personal things. I admit I could and perhaps should have been more humble, but it's simply the nature of the post. I'm sorry that you didn't like it.

Kazzy

Quote:This is the most sanctimonious, look at me thread I've seen in a while.

What an unnecessary ego trip.
I don't know what to say. This is just extremely hurtful. See above.

Autumn

Quote:Citing mental illness as a motivational antagonistic trait is a little tasteless.
I apologize for that. To me, mental illness is a very serious subject and I admit upon re-reading that it was not addressed properly. I still want to keep it there because it is a part of many of my characters. I think respectful roleplay about mental illness can be very good because it allows us to learn and understand better. 

The truth is, mental illness can and is used as an antagonistic trait by many people. We call it insanity, papillion shenanigans, shaitan madness... I like to use the right word for it, it's that simple. Like sawrock said, many villains aren't sane. I think it's something that should be talked about. I've edited my post to be more respectful, I apologize for the original, especially the wording.

All in all, I'm just very saddened by the response I've gotten. It's fine if you don't like the post, it's fine if you don't like my way to antag. I know that it won't please everyone, because antagonism is never going to be perfect. Everyone has their own way to enjoy SL2, and I'm only a small part of its community. The fact my humor got a very negative response is a shame, but that much I understand. But... I didn't expect this, honestly. I'm disheartened.

Many thanks to your response, Saw. I couldn't have made it this far without you. I've made changes to my post to reflect your very accurate criticism, which I agree with.

(12-14-2022, 07:33 AM)Mewni Wrote: All of that is extremely hard to believe. It may be the impression you have when you did work with him, but it is definitely not the reality of many that had to deal with the constant stream of recycled characters live.

A lot of the thread in itself is contradictory and everyone I saw talking about it did nothing but roll their eyes, communication is the thing they most lack of, and sometimes willingly withhold information or lie about a intention oocly. Believe me it wasn't more than once they used other characters welcome in a certain place to scout easy targets to come in with their antag and gank on, had to deal with it already by my own experience.

Also its hits especially different when you say with a straightface "Cooperate with your fellow players" then "Don't compromise" in the same "guide".
What???

I don't recall scouting with an alt.

"Don't compromise" refers to IC. OOC should always be about reaching understanding. 

Also I don't understand where this is coming from. Nobody has been telling me about these issues, and you're making it sound like I'm a well known reoccurring problem. I'd love it if I could get feedback because I want to improve. But I don't understand. You're telling me there's a large amount of people who actively dislike how I play, and this is how I learn about it?
[-] The following 2 users Like Poruku's post:
  • HaTeD, Sawrock

Messages In This Thread
Antagonist Guide - Polk - by Poruku - 12-13-2022, 07:24 PM
RE: Antagonist Guide - by BoberJones - 12-13-2022, 11:40 PM
RE: Antagonist Guide - by Bryce_Hego - 12-14-2022, 12:08 AM
RE: Antagonist Guide - by Mewni - 12-14-2022, 04:04 AM
RE: Antagonist Guide - by Dezark - 12-14-2022, 04:07 AM
RE: Antagonist Guide - by Moku203 - 12-14-2022, 04:17 AM
RE: Antagonist Guide - by Imotepchief - 12-14-2022, 04:35 AM
RE: Antagonist Guide - by FaeLenx - 12-14-2022, 04:59 AM
RE: Antagonist Guide - by Kazzy - 12-14-2022, 05:04 AM