Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Being an Oracle is very punishing
I hard agree. I've hard agreed to this for YEARS. I was floored when Dev removed the funny secret +8 evade racial oracles had, which was the only thing that made me even consider playing one. The -10% hit and evade penalty is so punishing in a way you can't really play around most of the time. Especially when high range weapons are already so strong comparatively. And how easy it is to always stay out of melee range when you end your turn.

The +10% Evade and hit, and -10% evade and hit are multiplicitive unlike most things. So you're really losing a good 22+. But the gains are not even considered base, so they clash with evasives, as you already want the +50 evade bonus to be capped. So if they attack you from melee range, generally you don't even see an improvement. This punishes evasive oracles so hard because their boons aren't really boons and their nerfs are MASSIVE.

The hit thing is much less of an issue because generally you won't be hitting the +50 cap for hit anyway, and as an oracle you'd just focus on attacking up close.
Its the fundamental flaw. I wouldn't really want to give Oracles anything too game changing.

I'd change it to be a flat +10 / -10 to hit and evade. This makes it far less punishing, as you're not suddenly losing 23 evasion just because they're not smelling your hair.
AND/OR
to rework it so that the hit/evade boosts and nerfs are considered BASE. This would then make it so up close oracles are evasive gods, and still pretty fragile from range. Currently up close a buffed oracle is basically the same as if they weren't an oracle.
OR
To force an additional hit check where you use the worse roll if you're attacking someone far away, and force an additional hit check where they use the better roll if they attack you from far away.

For the traits, I do think disengage is kinda meh. Evasives are gonna be buffing their evade to the maximum anyway. It ends up doing nothing.
I'd rather it be changed to emergency evasion, to grant a free glance. Issue then becomes I don't know how to scale it with the patient/swift traits.
Or you just change it from disengage to Oracle Sight, which changes the evasion buff for that one attack to be considered base.
Or you just change it from disengage to Oracle Sight, which disables the next instance of your passive being triggered at range. Swift does it for once instance, normal for two, patient for three. The turns would need to be adjusted accordingly for them.

Messages In This Thread
Being an Oracle is very punishing - by Autumn - 04-12-2023, 09:33 AM
RE: Being an Oracle is very punishing - by Snake - 04-12-2023, 03:12 PM
RE: Being an Oracle is very punishing - by Shujin - 04-13-2023, 07:14 AM
RE: Being an Oracle is very punishing - by Autumn - 04-13-2023, 11:27 AM
RE: Being an Oracle is very punishing - by Shujin - 04-13-2023, 04:54 PM
RE: Being an Oracle is very punishing - by Snake - 04-16-2023, 01:09 PM
RE: Being an Oracle is very punishing - by renowner - 04-17-2023, 03:31 AM