Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Never Meet Your Idols
I don't think anyone will argue with me when I say that Idol is arguably the most cookie-cutter item in the game, or at least when it comes to Mages. 

The fine print of the item, shaving enemy resistance, sounds quite nifty, but nothing gamebreaking, until you realize that it goes into NEGATIVES, for those few who may be unaware. Meaning a 2% player's resist will turn into a minus 8%, and so on. That basically means the glove slot just boosts your spell's damages (already amongst the highest sources of damage in the game btw) by a flat tenth of the damage you'd otherwise deal.

In it's current state, the item is essentially 10% free damage on your own spells (Or 20% in PVE), with the most of the time fairly inconsequential drawback of -10% light Resistance. That's the main reason that it's the de-facto mage glove slot. It's easy to run, and offers an undeniable advantage at any time, arguably even so  if you run into a scenario where you encounter Light damage.

It's not even so much as a braindead choice, as that'd imply there being a choice in the first place- a mage not even using the Indignant Idol tends to be the exception to the rule, and usually in favor of an item like a shield, since no glove slot really equals it when it comes to Mages, save for Nihilist, or Conversion Gloves in certain cases. Nearly every single mage runs it as their glove slot, and with good reason, since it's in nearly every single case added value.

Whereas crit builds might have the option between Rogue Gloves, Crownbleeders, Shifty Pockets, Conversion gloves, Ghosthand, Dragon King, or more bulky builds might hesitate between a variant of a shield, Nullstone Gauntlets, Chimera Bands- nearly every single mage (that I know of, anyway) runs Idol. The item is just free.

In my opinion, the solution would just be for Idol...not to go into negatives. That way, it'd still accomplish the function of shaving down enemy elemental resistance, while it wouldn't essentially turn into free damage in every possible scenario.
066: Birth of the Robot Emperor
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ray2064's post:
  • Sawrock

Messages In This Thread
Never Meet Your Idols - by Ray2064 - 05-31-2024, 09:08 AM
RE: Never Meet Your Idols - by Rendar - 05-31-2024, 01:31 PM
RE: Never Meet Your Idols - by zericosmic - 06-02-2024, 02:05 AM
RE: Never Meet Your Idols - by MegaBlues - 06-02-2024, 02:46 AM
RE: Never Meet Your Idols - by Autumn - 06-02-2024, 03:04 AM
RE: Never Meet Your Idols - by Poruku - 06-02-2024, 05:50 AM
RE: Never Meet Your Idols - by Sawrock - 06-02-2024, 05:58 AM
RE: Never Meet Your Idols - by Rendar - 06-02-2024, 08:51 AM