Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Spellthief's offensive ability (or lack thereof)
Hello, hello, first balance thread, let's see how this goes.

Now, Spellthief is one of my favorite classes, so I will admit that it's possible I'm somewhat biased. That being said, I personally feel like the way Spellthief's copy spells are set up right now feels... unsatisfying, to say the least.

Currently, the way Spellthief works is that you can have a maximum of 6 (7 with a spirit) spells saved outside of battle, with any extras being removed at the start of a new fight, but using any copy spell causes a 3 turn cooldown for that spell. While this does still leave just enough spells to ensure you can cast something, it does mean that you regularly end up with a situation where the tools you might want to use are still stuck on cooldown, while the classes you got those same tools from can and most likely will use them constantly.

Now, under normal circumstances, that'd be fine - the class allows a player to set up any kind of skill setup they please - if it weren't for one thing. Namely, the fact that any spell a Spellthief uses normally won't be nearly as effective as one from the original class. As a result, your best option is to use support spells from other classes, with a second class that can solve the actual "damage" part of things, unless you make use of Final Flare/Hot Potato to blow things up.

Ghost's spells don't get Rising Game, so the spells won't have nearly as much range. Mage and Evoker spells don't get Auto-Enchant (or even an enchant if you don't use up both momentum and another spell slot), Charge Mind or Highwrath in the case of lightning spells, so damage and overall effectiveness is relatively limited. Hexer? No Payback or Dark Invasion, so status infliction is lower. Lantern Bearer's spells get reduced range, Curate's healing and buffing spells don't get Mass to use, Void Assassin's spells don't get Voidgates or Void Energy, using Ranger spells is impossible without a bow... There are exceptions - Boxer doesn't have any limitations, and Firebird's and Tactician's boosts are somewhat less useful compared to others - but the point is, a large number of spells are less effective, and they also get a 3 turn cooldown on top of that.

So, here are my suggestions, if this is considered an issue for others as well as myself:
1. Simply lower the cooldown to some degree, making it be 1 round instead. Maybe 2 rounds instead if a 1 round cooldown is considered to be too much.

2. A couple of new mutually exclusive skills - one that lowers the cooldown for spells stolen from sentient races, and one that lowers the cooldown for spells stolen from monsters, potentially with both skills increasing the cooldown for the other type. I'm aware that some people like the idea of using Spellthief as a sort of "blue mage" class, and some instead prefer using it as a kind of "red mage" class. This would allow people to specialize in either option, or simply take any kind of spell they want to use and ignore both passives if necessary.

3. Making passive skills from other classes apply only for the spells that it's supposed to (Farlight for Lantern Bearer spells, Rising Game for Ghost spells, so on).

Personally, I'd prefer option 1, mostly because it's a fairly simple solution by comparison, but if anyone feels differently, I do welcome any discussion about it.
[-] The following 2 users Like SolAndLuna's post:
  • Senna, Snake

Messages In This Thread
Spellthief's offensive ability (or lack thereof) - by SolAndLuna - 06-26-2020, 09:26 AM