Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Spellthief's offensive ability (or lack thereof)
I don't disagree with lowering the cooldown, one or two rounds is perfectly fine and won't really tip the balance of power too much but the core issue still remains.

Spellthief has always felt like it was intended to be a trickster rather than just a blue mage with a majority of it's skills utilizing illusions and tricky skills like Mystic Dagger, Bluff, Smoke Screen and Snatch Spell. However, most of these skills have either little practical use or became outdated over time.

So I'd like to offer my own suggestions to alleviate this,

Snatch Spell
This is a skill that sees little to no use outside of scenarios where someone uses bluff on someone not paying much attention to what their opponent is doing. Hilarious situations like making someone guard, run away or making them act in a way that's disadvantage to them is the main draw to this skill; outside of that, it functions as a magic geist to draw comparisons.

My suggestion for this would be to simply increase magic DR by a % equal to rank or momentum used when the skill is used. This plays into it's anti-magic niche and adds a magic guard as utility which is what Spellthieves should excel at in my opinion.

Mystic Dagger
Another skill with it's only niche being on-hits. Mystic Dagger is an underwhelming dagger skill that has decent synergy with Final Flare, the latter skill being rarely used. I don't think it needs anything overly special aside from removing the reduced damage on the second hit and possibly giving it more range but I'm not opposed to having a status being tied to it. It functions well against single hit evade buffs like Miragewalk, Disengage and Nest Flight, removing the buff with its first hit before striking again.

Final Flare
In terms of destructive power and conditions to utilize said power, Final Flare falls short for a variety of reasons; the main reason being that Final Flare requires a hit check for a single target ability which limits the amount of opponents you can feasibly use this on without being pigeonholed into lightning and ice, two elements that are tied to hit boosting stats. The second reason being that, for a skill that effectively needs 9 momentum minimum which is the cost of a rank D invocation, you only get three spell casts normally and four with spirits; which forces you to run a Final Flare spirit to get the most out of this skill.

I don't really have any suggestions on how to improve this aside from maybe a hit buff being attached to Final Flare, but this is an extremely underwhelming finisher compared to invocations with the main benefit over invocations is being able to use it while silenced. Hot Potato on the other hand, is fine in it's current state in my opinion.

Spell Snatch

There's no real reason to use this skill in battle aside from setting up your initial stock of spells.

A way to make it more usable and add onto the spell stealing gimmick is to refund the momentum used if you successfully steal a spell from your opponent. Given this is one range and non-damaging, I think this wouldn't get out of hand and play well.

Another thing that would need to be added is to remove the most recent copy spells at the end of a battle, rather than a random one; so stealing spells doesn't actively hinder you in consecutive battles.

Goose Bite

I think the proposed addition of silence is perfectly fine. Goose Bite is a fairly underwhelming autohit other wise.

Smokescreen

After the changes to smokescreen along with better sources of its formerly unique tile, smokescreen could use some love. It could do with either a momentum reduction with a cooldown or have an increased area of effect to make up for it.

I know what I listed isn't mostly inherent to the topic of this thread, but being a trickster and stealing spells is the identity of spellthief for me. It doesn't need to be overly offensive, but it does fall short on what it tries to do outside of being the most versatile spellcaster in the game. Sorry if this comes off as a derail though, I did consider tossing this into another thread; but I've seen others throw their own changes around.

As a final note, I think Spellthieves should be able to use daggers as a casting tool, even if it's less effective than a tome.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Miller's post:
  â€˘ Snake

Messages In This Thread
RE: Spellthief's offensive ability (or lack thereof) - by Miller - 06-30-2020, 11:06 PM