Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Papilion Butterflies Make Me Sad
The more I use them, the sadder I get. It is almost exclusively a detriment to use butterflies / fairies / snakes / etc in combat for many, many, MANY reasons. I get there being counterplay or whatever, but it's to the point that summoning a butterfly is more likely to help the enemy than to help you. Some examples of this are:

Butterflies can be used to negotiate with (spellthief)
Butterflies can be enemy climbed (DH cobra)
Butterflies can be used to gain momentum via crits (and fleur makes this worse)
Butterflies can, to my knowledge, be used to give a charge of Spirit Jar for healing
Butterflies can, to my knowledge, be defeated with a custom tome with a Vampiric seed for healing
Butterflies can save a sidecut / silcut user a lost attack from spirit pain if the butterfly is targeted first
Butterflies can, to my knowledge, accidentally trigger traps despite pretty much not being real
Butterflies can prevent the cooldown from using charge (by being landed next to)
Butterflies can trigger geist, giving a boxer extra momentum
Butterflies, to my knowledge, count for momentum recovery from Exaggerator
Butterflies CANNOT BE CONTROLLED TO PREVENT ANY OF THIS

Worst yet, the enemy can just skip their turn to make butterflies come to them-- making it easier to pull some of this off. There's more examples than just this, I just can't think of anymore off the top of my head. You could argue that this is just the 'risk of summoning butterflies', but when they're the only racial even half worth using in Papilion's arsenal, it gets very disappointing. Aposemagika isn't even worth using, and even if it was? It still summons more butterflies, causing all the issues listed above.

I wish I had a simple solution to make this a little less severe, but I just... don't. If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
[Image: unknown.png]

Messages In This Thread
Papilion Butterflies Make Me Sad - by Mr.SmileGod - 07-04-2020, 05:21 PM
RE: Papilion Butterflies Make Me Sad - by Autumn - 07-04-2020, 06:04 PM
RE: Papilion Butterflies Make Me Sad - by Snake - 07-05-2020, 12:19 AM