Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Korvara Playerbase Division Concern
(02-03-2022, 08:58 PM)Poruku Wrote: From what I hear, Korvara will be difficult to access ICly and it may even require some sort of approval? If so, it would probably cause a huge division in the already thin playerbase. I know personally I'm interested in making a "korvana-only" character to experience it, but also a lot of the things I love about this game are tied to the Six. I invested months into multiple characters and, essentially, having Korvana be a standalone environment would make it compete with the Six in a strange way, meaning when you log in you kinda choose "Okay am I playing on Korvana or on the Six". There's already an issue of low population so splitting up people would mean both korvana and the mainland might not get enough traffic.

This is generally a pretty fair concern to have, I believe that Sigrogana will have different strengths to play to in comparison, and both will be different environments that both groups of people may enjoy, it may even breathe more variety into the game as roleplay between both of the areas will be different.

Low population may actually be the cutting line for Korvara, I think that at the very least, with no planned housing being done at the moment, it'll encourage more people on that continent to go out and find people to roleplay with.

(02-03-2022, 09:04 PM)Tana Wrote: This is a very valid and important bit of concern and criticism to be had. We already don't have enough of a playerbase to populate the great six as is. People only show up to most places if there's an LFG or some kind of established player house, even on Sigrogana itself, not counting less frequently frequented places.

This is very true, I cannot fault you that we do not have the playerbase to support active roleplay among the other great continents and cities, but there is a bit of a flaw to the way Sigrogana presents this.

There is nothing else to actually do, there's no activities or actions that spur someone to visit the likes of Chatarunga or Oniga, in the latter's case, people only venture out to Oniga to travel to Law's End to disassemble their goods occasionally, this used to actually drive some Law's End RP until people realized they never needed to be IC to do these things, so people stick IC in the areas that they know are safe to roleplay in, not in the sense that they would be in danger, but in the sense that some areas in the game just receive a lot more consistent, casual roleplay, such as with Cellsvich square, and sometimes the Badlands Arena or Dormeho

I think that the option to remain IC while convenient, will end up being a weird rule for Korvara, especially when 2 nations are supposed to be at odds with eachother, it is also my hope that in Korvara, the aforementioned issue with little to do becomes less of an issue, make it so rarer resources are in areas that are more contested with eachother, make it so that say farming becomes a real business to uphold, this can all be done by associating the supplies that each city might sell with actual, player driven activity, and economies perhaps.

Quote:On top of that, the way it's presented - "spanning over a dozen connecting exterior maps, giving it a unique and appropriate sense of scale" - Implies it may be difficult/time consuming to go from one 'Kingdom' to another, and given these are to be player-controlled, it will mean further splintering of the playerbase. People who tend to stick to one-two characters will have difficulties, and unless this happens to heavily revitalize SL2, I can only see a good bit of damage being done to the ability to get RP in a lot of places.

First off I agree that there would be some difficulty just running around and trying to find RP, especially if activity is low at the time, cliques will often be pressed into their little corners of the world and however not.

But I also think that realistically, since only two kingdoms would be at odds with eachother, and the other 2 serving as neutral parties, there would be plenty of incentive for those neutral parties to travel out and find roleplay in those other areas.

Also I think that there should probably be roleplay-specific rewards available, but I am unsure of anything to actually suggest, so I can't comment at this moment in time.
(02-03-2022, 11:13 PM)Shujin Wrote: I agree, I really like the general idea though.

But with the Combat also still borked, I am pretty sure what happens there and how people will "populate" these things with some of those meta-golems and with the lack of playerbase the already established cliques will simply "Take it over".
I adore it though for the idea. I always wanted SL2 a bit more player driven but I think its not 'ready' at the moment. Also systems like the Town marshalls are still very much not fleshed out an it seems those places would mostly benefit from such a system.

That all said its just concerns still looking forward to exploring these things.

Combat is still pretty concerning when it simply comes to evade, the system will likely need some looking over in terms of game health, but the literal rest of "GR2" as its being called was more than fine, infact I think the generalization of weapon scalings, gun changes and evade/accuracy caps was probably the best thing to happen to the PvP scene in a very very long time, and these should not be discredited by the flopping of Evade's current state.

(02-04-2022, 09:08 PM)FaeLenx Wrote: The community won't split over this any more than it will split over Lorywell Tomb being a new place to level. It's just more maps, more content, and an invitation to make new characters in a new economy that isn't overwhelmed with 8 million bank accounts. Events will still happen, probably more on mainland because Korvara seems like it'll be more player driven day-to-day content and won't need the boost.

Any sort of scenario where the community splits over this is already an observable 'split.' People go to their homes to roleplay complex, player driven scenarios with large groups all the time, and it's almost entirely disconnected from everyone else's play experience. The one hope we can get is that this unifies those people that were lost in their little bastions of storytelling with a promise that the experience that they secluded themselves into can be a more communal one in Korvara. I hold my own reservations, but the fact that this is happening acknowledges that people want a change. It might not work. I think it probably will for at least a while. Regardless of that, though, I'm just glad something is happening.

Edit: But now is the best time to demand jammer girls, the one thing that will bring this game from obscurity to universal popularity.

Very well said, I also agree that the community won't be as split as people think, especially for the first couple of months if people want to do their best to get the continent going, I think personally with enough effort by the global shroud of the community, we can all make this an interesting experience for ourselves, provided that the update itself does not flop in certain areas.

I also think that there is no harm in trying this new system either, there may be concern to be had about it and that's valid, but we won't know fully until its set sail, and everyone's given it a fair shot. If it falls completely flat onto its face, I'm sure that it can be repurposed in some way, or we can go back to our usual business somehow.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Autumn's post:
  • Poruku

Messages In This Thread
Korvara Playerbase Division Concern - by Poruku - 02-03-2022, 08:58 PM
RE: Korvara Playerbase Division Concern - by Tana - 02-03-2022, 09:04 PM
RE: Korvara Playerbase Division Concern - by Autumn - 02-04-2022, 11:13 PM
RE: Korvara Playerbase Division Concern - by Tana - 02-06-2022, 07:00 PM