Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DR Stacking (again)
This kind of compartmentalization of DR is only going to get more necessary as more content is released. This seems like the ideal time to do it.

Right now we have the small reductions -- One on One, Weathered Body, Bulwark, Margin Manipulation, Voidveil, etc -- that are seemingly designed to stack together, and generally get kept in check with a Main Class only requirement. Then we have the larger sources, like Wraithguard, Evasion, Indomitable, Eviter, and Stalemate.

The nonsensical reductions happen once the latter types start interacting with one another. No matter what attack you get hit with, if you Wraithguard and Eviter at the same time you take 35% damage; and that's assuming you're sitting at literally 0 physical DR. If more high-tier mitigation comes into play, this problem is going to keep happening. Tagging them so they can be kept away from one another without heavy handed main-class only, armor type, or armor + magic armor restrictions seems like an elegant way to future-proof.
I could see Wraithguard qualifying as an evasion-type skill, making it incapable of stacking with those. Either that or making it only function against, say, magic damage or something like that, or making the reduction based on your current HP like RIsing Game (less at higher HP values).
I like the idea of it being stronger at lower HP, it's more 'Ghost'-like. As well as Wraithguard qualifying as an evasion-type, since it's said in the Lore Thread that Wraithguard is more a 'you being more and more cautious as death approaches', instead of some solid shield made of spectres a la Hexer.

So, 1% of Wraithguard's damage reduction per 2% of missing HP might sound cool? (An actual buff in a sense, but more conditional.)
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I'd like to see both the evasion-type and Rising Game style Wraithguard changes as well. Both of them sound like they'd be pretty great and solve at least a few stacking issues. I think the cap could probably still stay at 30% or at least close to it, though. Mostly because uber HP tanks could get their health down enough for a 40% reduction (or even higher than 40%) and be much safer than any dodgy character trying to stay alive long enough to even see their WG at that level.
[Image: XVa5SaQ.png]
I'd argue that Wraithguard could be 1% DR per 3% health missing with no cap, its not like you can go below 99% HP without just dying, that'd make it go up to 33% damage resistance at very low HP.

Having wraithguard only function against magic damage was an idea that swirled around as well, since we could just let BKs be the mean and green physical tanks, if they're dedicated to being black knights at least.

On a side note, having Wraithguard as an evasion skill, would that also proc Flottement if you are facing your opponent? If that was a thing?
Thats a huge nerf to its effectiveness. 1 to 3, only hits 20% dr by the time you've lost 2/3rds of your health, bodyguard gives better returns.
I suppose, it'd be more fair to have a base amount then, 10% + 1% per 5% HP then would be a bit more fair, you'd hit 20% by 50% HP in this case.
But why nerf Wraithguard, if it is no longer stacking with Evasion anymore? Ghosts will be too fragile for the most of the battle if it is 3% or 5%, and adding a base reduction to it will defeat the purpose of 'only usable when low on HP'.

Don't nerf it to dust is what I suggest. Wraithguard is still a 'chance to trigger' like Evasion, but using LUC + RES. And costs 3M. And can be stolen. And lasts for 3 rounds. It's not a passive that triggers on every damage you take.

Just put it at 1% damage reduction per 2.5% missing HP instead. We could even ask for Dev to add a condition where Wraithguard can't be used if you have more than 50% HP. No biggie.
Option D would be giving Wraithguard a cooldown, either to create a window to attack with it down or to make it so efforts to steal/dispel it are more important.
I mean, there 'are' already counterplays for it. The bad part is the 'lol slap back' thing every time you lose it due to the duration off, or being stolen/nulled, which is not even as bad due to how it costs 3M. I'm also on for cooldowns, even though I still like the idea of a rising damage reduction.