Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Profile Music Bug
Probably a new BYOND update caused this? Who have tried downgrading their engine's version at http://www.byond.com/download/build/ ?
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
"Snake" Wrote:Probably a new BYOND update caused this? Who have tried downgrading their engine's version at http://www.byond.com/download/build/ ?

I highly doubt it since I myself haven't updated to a newer BYOND since an old bug.
Discord: Selfish Gene#0139
[Image: lClrhgZ.png]
Well, that's certainly odd then.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
"Snake" Wrote:Well, that's certainly odd then.

Agreed. I'm unsure if it's something that went wrong in the coding during the latest update, a problem with BYOND's connections with YouTube altogether, or whatever it may be. I'm just confused with how sudden it is and how it's affecting multiple players.
Profile music is an html extension of youtube audio, certain videos due to copyright claims on the audio will not allow the audio to be streamed on non youtube platforms in some countries.

This causes in some cases for audio being heard fine by player in USA but not in UK ect.

It also uses your IE or default browser for streaming through the byond client, this means settings,things like ad-blockers, and other browser extensions can screw with the process.

I'd suggest purging all settings from internet explorer, setting it as the default browser, then attempting to check for audio, if not you may want to try a VPN to see if its an issue with your countries internet.
"Lolzytripd" Wrote:Profile music is an html extension of youtube audio, certain videos due to copyright claims on the audio will not allow the audio to be streamed on non youtube platforms in some countries.

This causes in some cases for audio being heard fine by player in USA but not in UK ect.

It also uses your IE or default browser for streaming through the byond client, this means settings,things like ad-blockers, and other browser extensions can screw with the process.

I'd suggest purging all settings from internet explorer, setting it as the default browser, then attempting to check for audio, if not you may want to try a VPN to see if its an issue with your countries internet.

Let me compile a quick checklist of things you're suggesting so that I may try them and give a swift diagnostic of the results. Also, it should be noted that I myself live in Canada so these may work for some but not others. Here's hoping nonetheless.

1. Default Browser Settings and whatnot: Toggled ad-blockers off and so on with no avail. It doesn't to be the case, sadly.

2. Setting IE as my default browser: Little luck, once again. No notable changes, sadly.

3. I've tried to use a VPN for an American IP with no luck once again. With this said, since I'm from Canada and a few of my friends are either from the United States, Brazil, and other countries have also experienced said problem, it's unlikely that this is the case as well.

Needless to say, none of these have sadly made much of a change. Thank you very much for your detailed response nonetheless and the bounty of potential solutions! Here's hoping a fix can be discovered ASAP.
The only things I can think off that would cause it to work fine for some players and not all players are

1) possibly internet provider related (chance low)

2) a compounding error between Byond and OS, neither one at fault directly ( what your OS is would be useful here)

3) Something else is using the ports byond likes to use for something.
If YouTube changed the way its embeds work then I would assume it'd be broken for everyone. It might just really be copyright exclusivity based on region.
It seems to be broken for everyone now.
Indeed, it has this tendency of going from working for a day or two to not. Profile music hasn't worked properly for the last 2-3 days.