Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penultimate Bling
I wanted to make two simple suggestion changes to the Penultimate Bling, number one being the most important change, and number two being secondary changes I'd just like to see.

1) To make the Penultimate Bling not take an equipment slot.
      For what the Penultimate Bling does, I don't think it should take up an equipment slot. No other donation item does this, and all it does is lead to "goddamn it I'm fucking stupid" moments when you forget to take it back off during PVE or PVP. It just hogs an accessory slot, which no other donation item does, and seems pointless when all it does is make you sparkle and changes your OOC name. I'd like to see Penultimate Bling just become a normal inventory slot item.

2) Make the Penultimate Bling allow custom colors, and allow an option to affect IC name as well.
      Donation items recently have received a boost in color customization that the Penultimate Bling lacks. The colors offered by default on the Penultimate Bling are okay, but some of them are just flatly unsatisfying - I.E., the "purple" option on it isn't actually "purple", it's more mauve-or-periwinkle looking color. The option to be able to change the color to whatever you wish would be a nice update for the item that puts it back in line with other aesthetical donation items.

The second part is also a bit of a stretch, but to preface for some of the newer players:
The Penultimate Bling is a lesser version of an item called the "Ultimate Bling", which was created by Dev for a specific player. I don't recall the true reason why, but what I was told was that a specific player from way back when threatened to totally crash the economy after amassing millions of Murai, and Dev gave them the Ultimate Bling to appease them from doing that, since they were so rich. The item itself is actually currently owned by Blissey, fun fact! So it does exist. (Disclaimer that Blissey was not the original owner, though.)
The Ultimate Bling only has one color - gold, but it also affects the in-character name, which also makes it that color.

What I want to see is that option added into Penultimate Bling's library. At the moment, colored names are allowed for "special" cases - AKA, Eventmins and GMs are the only people allowed to have colored names, due to their access to mob files (of which, thanks to an Eventmin for explaining that to me). The only downside for them is that if you right-click their colored-name character, you get an absolute mess of HTML code which... is extremely funny, honestly, but can kinda make it horrid to look at.
But being able to have an option where it also changes the character's in-game name color would be not only a cool feature for players who donate, but Eventmins and GMs would no longer have to make word-gore in their mob file names to have them (unless they wanted to do a rainbow-colored name, which is something Karidan did once for an event character so it's possible).

Regardless, at the moment the Penultimate Bling is a very outdated donation item that needs some glow-up to it. It is a 500 Asago ($5) donation item that gives you some barely-visible sparkles and an OOC name color (which is a waste if you aren't actively in OOC chat), at the cost of an equipment slot.
For the same price, you could get a Personal Wardrobe, a Pet Kit, or the Mask of the Night's Lord.
For under that price, you could get the Rainbow Rose, Orb of Mystery, or Rainbow Note.
All of which do more for a character's aesthetics than the Penultimate Bling does at the moment.
[Image: 5HkCz2Q.png]
[Image: s0bdkqm.png]
[-] The following 8 users Like Shadbase's post:
  • adamkad1, Autumn, Blissey, Collector, Raigen.Convict, Snake, The Alpha Bat, WaifuApple
I'm very much against allowing the item to change your IC character name color. Making your icon cool is fine, making your ooc name change color is fine, but the instant it starts changing name colors in character is the instant it stops being a fun little thing, and turns into something truly annoying.

Extremely against that.

But in terms of making it not take an accessory slot, I don't mind that either way.
[-] The following 1 user Likes renowner's post:
  • Tana
If you're using new chat you already have to deal with people's huge blocks of colors. This doesn't do much beyond maybe making a name harder to see, given that name is on a lesser scale, but we already come together as a community in most cases to block people from using NEON BRIGHT GREEN in their chat bubbles.

If you're using old chat, the worst it could do is someone using the colors for that to have an invisible name, but you can literally just select it to see.

Saying that it'd be annoying is personal preference, which is good, but when there's already huge color blocks in new chat, it's kinda meaningless to say it'd be any worse than having to look at those, when they take up much more of chat's real-estate that you could consider "annoying".
(09-29-2022, 05:25 PM)renowner Wrote: I'm very much against allowing the item to change your IC character name color. Making your icon cool is fine, making your ooc name change color is fine, but the instant it starts changing name colors in character is the instant it stops being a fun little thing, and turns into something truly annoying.

Extremely against that.

But in terms of making it not take an accessory slot, I don't mind that either way.

[Image: unknown.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Collector's post:
  • Shadbase
(09-29-2022, 05:25 PM)renowner Wrote: I'm very much against allowing the item to change your IC character name color. Making your icon cool is fine, making your ooc name change color is fine, but the instant it starts changing name colors in character is the instant it stops being a fun little thing, and turns into something truly annoying.

Extremely against that.

Its just a color my friend, I'm sure it'll be fine.
(09-29-2022, 05:44 PM)Collector Wrote: [Image: unknown.png]

ok

But there's a difference between not letting someone enjoy something because you don't and giving everyone access to something that annoys you.

iirc, there's an option to disable custom colors for other people's chat boxes. If anything, allow the option that disables the color change from the bling as well.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Alpha Bat's post:
  • Autumn, Shadbase
(09-29-2022, 05:54 PM)The Alpha Bat Wrote:
(09-29-2022, 05:44 PM)Collector Wrote: [Image: unknown.png]

ok

But there's a difference between not letting someone enjoy something because you don't and giving everyone access to something that annoys you.

iirc, there's an option to disable custom colors for other people's chat boxes. If anything, allow the option that disables the color change from the bling as well.

I am on my way to remove the FFXIV launcher from your disk. You have 30 minutes.
(09-29-2022, 05:54 PM)The Alpha Bat Wrote: iirc, there's an option to disable custom colors for other people's chat boxes. If anything, allow the option that disables the color change from the bling as well.

This is what I thought too, but since it was an option already I didn't think to fully include it, since Dev would probably think of that too. Seems like a fairly easy fix so that way everyone wins-
My point was that having a donation item that affects the IC chat tab is stupid to me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes renowner's post:
  • Tana
I wore bling on a char at some point even in pvp because it's one of the best ways to flex on people.

That being said, even though it's funny, it doesn't really make sense as an accessory. Just make it work like rainbow petal/notes