Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Silence
For some reason, no one got told to pick Martial Artist/play Hyattr/play a ranged class when Clumsy and Immobilize were adjusted.

Silence is absolutely fight-deciding to certain classes/builds without an answer, just like Clumsy or Immobilize. As far as I'm aware, the reason that inherent immunity got added to them is because being stuck in that situation isn't fun and being pidgeonholed into a handful of setups to avoid the risk of being shut out doesn't lend itself to variety.
I just like to point out that a lot of silences, from other sources than classes do in fact give you silence Immunity (For example Shizumare (I think thats the silence spear) and Tsukikage)

Most classes do usually have a condition to apply, barring Hexer, which has probably the most potent Silence out there. I think this comes with the trade off of being a tactical nuke. Comparing Magic with Standard movement skills and the likes isn't really fair. A well placed invocation can end a fight in an instant or a simple CM Ryemei, and as long as that exists Silence need to exist as counter.

Not to mention that you can still cast magic as a mage just fine with silence on. Throatopeners are also not that hard to get. I do not mind a buff to Throatopener though, I like it when items actually do something good for ya as a limited resource.
[-] The following 2 users Like Shujin's post:
  • Dezark, Miller
Also magic is stronger but can be shut down by two sources, Elemental Resistance/Sanc & M.Def/Res state
(03-31-2023, 11:25 PM)firehawk11 Wrote: Also magic is stronger but can be shut down by two sources, Elemental Resistance/Sanc & M.Def/Res state

This isn't exactly true as there's physical versions of pretty much all types of elements as well. My main use daggers are fire/water damage and get affected by such.
(04-01-2023, 01:34 AM)caliaca Wrote:
(03-31-2023, 11:25 PM)firehawk11 Wrote: Also magic is stronger but can be shut down by two sources, Elemental Resistance/Sanc & M.Def/Res state

This isn't exactly true as there's physical versions of pretty much all types of elements as well. My main use daggers are fire/water damage and get affected by such.
Your main use daggers also have a way to turn them to doing piercing damage, rather than fire/water through their own innate abilities.
Yes, I know that. The point is that there's plenty of instances of elemental physical damage as well as magical.
The only Silence that is ridiculous in this game is Strangling Etacof's ordeal, which stretches the silence to 4 rounds and refreshes it. So if you time it well enough, you can shut fuck someone for 6 rounds, which is pretty much a whole fight.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
It's also not difficult to loop death gaze, or cutthroat, or absolute fear, or sonic shell, or.... Any of the silences in the game.
(04-02-2023, 02:46 AM)MegaBlues Wrote: It's also not difficult to loop death gaze, or cutthroat, or absolute fear, or sonic shell, or.... Any of the silences in the game.

Death Gaze, Absolute Fear do not do (good) damage and have conditionals, there is still a moment before you get silenced where you can anticipate the motion, and even then both of these are beat by Heron Feather and often do not sway enough favor in the enemy's favor to sweep a match off it's feet, the mage is still stronger by stat checking alone.

Sonic shell requires you to charge your weapons, which is very accessible to Handgun users via spark drive, but handguns are very short ranged by default anyways, spacing can help here, also its still a status infliction check that is on a class that ideally will not build WIL. This makes it so anyone with decent SAN (20-30) will have a pretty decent shot at snuffing them out. Also again beaten by Heron Feather

Cutthroat? I'll give you that, but it is on VA, the premier anti-mage class.
And even for cutthroat, you can just shove your butt to a wall.

Walls: the silence of VAs.
[Image: 7y3oPuY.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Sawrock's post:
  • Autumn, Shujin