Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trait - CQC Mastery
Alright I caved. This is my honest thread about it.

Quote:Trait: CQC Mastery
Req: Mastery of Weapon Arts, 20 SKI.

You've trained for a good while in the arts of Close-Quarters Combat and know all of its basics. Enables two Special Maneuver actions while Grappling an enemy, or being Grappled by an enemy.

Quote:Grapple - Slam

1M, 2 round CD.

Can only be used while grappling. Great Accuracy. Slam the enemy into the tile directly behind you, dealing (Your Character LV/2 + their Battle Weight) as Blunt physical damage that ignores protection.

Additionally, if your Scaled STR is higher than half of their Battle Weight, there is a chance (70% of Status Infliction + Scaled STR/2%) that they will be inflicted with Knockdown.

(TL;DR: This is like Turnover that costs 1M and has a conditional Knockdown tied to it. Great Accuracy should force a glance, if it misses.)

Quote:Grapple - Takedown

3+M, 5 round CD.

Can only be used while grappling. Great Accuracy. Simultaneously sweep the legs (or facsimile) of an enemy while delivering an open palm to their face, dealing (Your Character LV + their Battle Weight) as Blunt physical damage that ignores protection, while knocking them down along their wits.

This will inflict a sub-status to Knockdown, named 'Takedown', which will randomly reduce an extra 1-2 Momentum when you get up from a Knockdown.

(TL;DR: This is like Fegen, but does damage and inflicts a more severe KD. Great Accuracy should force a glance, if it misses.)

Quote:Grapple - Reversal

3M, 5 round CD.

Can only be used while being grappled. You attempt to turn the tides against the one restraining you. On use, you'll be prompted to enter a series of directions. If you enter them all successfully, you will become the owner of the Grapple and extend the duration until your next turn.

(TL;DR: This is like Urazawa, with a different bonus effect that can be funny when used against Ice Giants. "No u!".)
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snake's post:
  • renowner
Grapple - Slam:
A 1m that can knockdown will never be okay.
A 1m in general that much protection ignoring damage is (probably*) not okay either.
These aren't even tied to classes, and grappling is already an extremely powerful ability on certain races. (And can be done for 1m if you're a demon hunter, or while basic attacking if you're a naga.)

Overall however i'm of the belief that skills that aren't tied to classes should generally be weaker than class skills. And the 1m skills that we currently have are:
Flying dagger. Requires dagger. Dagger power +5 damage at max rank. Unresistable.
Splash: 1 turn cooldown, 10% Water attack +10% SWA at max rank. Resistable but also inflicts soaked.
Grenade Launcher: 1 turn cooldown, 50% Fire attack + 30% SWA, + 37.5 extra damage with another passive at max rank. However it does fire damage and also takes time to detonate, unless you spend another m to explode the bomb.

Then we have a lot of potential skills that cost 1m. They all only do around 60 damage at most however. And have large cooldowns and short range.

Grapple, which already can be done for 1m or do significant evasion ignoring damage is strong as is. But that 1m skill is just. . Far too pushed.
It'd need to lose the knockdown chance for sure. And would maybe need to end grapple, too.

Grapple: Takedown:
Balance wise this is probably fine - But the issue is that its already competing for a class skill from boxer. . .
Fegen. Which has a 6 turn cooldown without schwartz sturm, and for 3m and 10 fp at max rank just inflicts knockdown. By sweeping the leg.
Frankly i'd rather this just be a buff to that boxer skill. It'd basically make it so a demon hunter just has a better knockdown than boxer. . But they already have a million knockdowns, so maybe its fine over all.

Grapple Reversal:
I like the idea. I don't think it should need arrow key inputs though. They're always the same inputs in this game and memorization just makes it an auto win: And sudden lag spikes can cause you to lose it, which is never good feels. Maybe it should be a str vs str check or something though, so it has some counterplay.

All in all I think this would fit a grappler class more, or something. Or a set of items, like the ninja kote already started.
But a grappler based martial artist promotion could be really cool, if dev isn't against giving a class 4 promotions.

Maybe a set of items that unlock special grapple skills and boost your grapple chance as a set bonus?

Alternatively make a new grapple skill that costs 3m and doesn't activate any other grapple abilities. And have it be the requirement for these other skills.
Because in a vaccum this would be a lot more okay.
Its because shaitan, chimera, naga, and demon hunter exist that make this unfair. Too many things that either grapple more easily or do insane evade ignoring things on grapple for it to be fair.
The other races and classes suffer because of these privileged few.
I like it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes PossumParty's post:
  • renowner