Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slurm - Appearance Request
Applicable BYOND Key - Eggtimeagain

Character Name - Slurm

Request Type - Unique Chimera Appearance

Request Details - A unique Chimera with a lizard-like appearance as a result of being made from mainly Snakemen.

Reason for Request - I've been sitting on this idea for a while, of course in the beginning I thought of this concept because I thought it would be a nice juxtaposition to the usual style of character you see around SL2. However as time has gone on and I've spoken with a few individuals and realized that if I pair the unique appearance with the already horrific lore surrounding the sewers of Geladyne, it could be a good visual representation of the monsters that lie deeper in that area. As well as showing how far Geladyne was willing to experiment with Homunculi designs pre-reform.

Roleplay & Lore supporting your Request - Geladyne has been producing Homunculi for over two hundred years. In that time how Homunculi were treated and created has been all over the place, only recently granting them a right to being treated as people. In the time before, Geladyne aimed to create new types of Homunculi bred for more specific purposes, Slurm's batch being made as living chemical weapons for warfare. Unfortunately, the batch of snake-hybrids proved too child-like and unserious for proper military service, and due to the cheap nature of producing Chimera from Snakemen remains specifically, they simply chose to scrap the batch and dump them in the sewers (as was commonplace for Geladyne in the past). As time progressed, Slurm and his brothers lived and survived in the sewers, barely scraping by the horrific abominations around them, hunting rats for food, and occasionally eating lichen or mushrooms from the walls. Slowly, one by one, Slurm's Brothers fell, sometimes to disease, sometimes to other homunculi, and even to hunger on a few rare occasions. This continued until Slurm was all that remained. Him and his brothers had been planning to escape, to make it past the guards around the sewers and see the sun once again. With nothing left to lose after the loss of his final brother, Slurm followed the plan, dodging or killing monster after monster, setting traps to block small cramped pathways, and eventually managing to barely scrape by the Guards around the exit. With that, Slurm arrives to Korvara proper, sixty-odd years since being thrown away, not that he'd know the timescale of it all.

To begin explaining some specifics of the story:

Geladyne experimenting to create new types of Homunculi isn't uncommon, and utilizing different parts from monsters and ores to test the limits of Homunculi creation is how Salamandra were made. Duyuei kills hundreds of Snakemen daily, and oftentimes harvests their remains for all manner of purposes, leading to an excess in most cases. It wouldn't be hard for a Geladynian scientist to get their hands on an overabundance of Snakemen remains in order to create new batches of homunculi. And the project could've been shut down for all manner of reasons after Slurm's creation, thus why there are no other Homunculi alive like Slurm is today.

Slurm's appearance itself could be easily explained as an excess of Snakemen remains in his creation, giving him a more monster-like appearance than most Chimera. I also plan to make Slurm's build heavily based around poison and its affects to properly reflect his Snakemen origins.

An image for reference:[Image: Kobold02.png]
Although I'm fairly confident the community would love such a character due to current majority feelings on more monstrous looking homunculi are largely if not almost all positive I wonder if like-minded players such as yourself could create a general thread appealing to Dev to allow more monstrous appearances to be created without the need for any application.

You can consider this app on pause for now unless another GM believes this is fine/could use adjustment.
[Image: tenor.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes K Peculier's post:
  • Eggyboi
As sad as I am that the app is on pause, I don't think I'll be making a general thread about that idea unless it ties to the reason for the pause. I know you GMs have a lot of work having to sift through these apps, but even the slightest push for removing applications towards monstrous homunculi could open the floodgates for a series of events I wouldn't be comfortable with. It's always important to note the differences in intent people have when making characters, and forcing that intent to go through a GM's judgement prevents a character made purely for self-gratification from appearing and making everyone's lives just that little bit more polarizing here in SL2.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to not have to apply for monstrous appearances on homunculi. I think it could add a layer of depth to the characters of the world and make the barrier between monster and player more blurred, leading to some fun RP possibilities. But at the same time, as with any change, people will take that new freedom and do things with it wildly outside of expectation, and could cause more harm than good.

I'll make a thread about making these types of characters more likely to pass through application, or at least centralize the argument for monstrous homunculi to get a better idea of how much the community actually wants this. But I won't argue in favor of removing the application process for characters like this. Ultimately, I think keeping such types of characters application-required would prove more beneficial in the long run, acting as a filter against the problems I've voiced my worries about here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eggyboi's post:
  • K Peculier
(05-29-2023, 02:00 AM)Eggyboi Wrote: Applicable BYOND Key - Eggtimeagain

Character Name - Slurm

Request Type - Unique Chimera Appearance

Request Details - A unique Chimera with a lizard-like appearance as a result of being made from mainly Snakemen.

Reason for Request - I've been sitting on this idea for a while, of course in the beginning I thought of this concept because I thought it would be a nice juxtaposition to the usual style of character you see around SL2. However as time has gone on and I've spoken with a few individuals and realized that if I pair the unique appearance with the already horrific lore surrounding the sewers of Geladyne, it could be a good visual representation of the monsters that lie deeper in that area. As well as showing how far Geladyne was willing to experiment with Homunculi designs pre-reform.

Roleplay & Lore supporting your Request - Geladyne has been producing Homunculi for over two hundred years. In that time how Homunculi were treated and created has been all over the place, only recently granting them a right to being treated as people. In the time before, Geladyne aimed to create new types of Homunculi bred for more specific purposes, Slurm's batch being made as living chemical weapons for warfare. Unfortunately, the batch of snake-hybrids proved too child-like and unserious for proper military service, and due to the cheap nature of producing Chimera from Snakemen remains specifically, they simply chose to scrap the batch and dump them in the sewers (as was commonplace for Geladyne in the past). As time progressed, Slurm and his brothers lived and survived in the sewers, barely scraping by the horrific abominations around them, hunting rats for food, and occasionally eating lichen or mushrooms from the walls. Slowly, one by one, Slurm's Brothers fell, sometimes to disease, sometimes to other homunculi, and even to hunger on a few rare occasions. This continued until Slurm was all that remained. Him and his brothers had been planning to escape, to make it past the guards around the sewers and see the sun once again. With nothing left to lose after the loss of his final brother, Slurm followed the plan, dodging or killing monster after monster, setting traps to block small cramped pathways, and eventually managing to barely scrape by the Guards around the exit. With that, Slurm arrives to Korvara proper, sixty-odd years since being thrown away, not that he'd know the timescale of it all.

To begin explaining some specifics of the story:

Geladyne experimenting to create new types of Homunculi isn't uncommon, and utilizing different parts from monsters and ores to test the limits of Homunculi creation is how Salamandra were made. Duyuei kills hundreds of Snakemen daily, and oftentimes harvests their remains for all manner of purposes, leading to an excess in most cases. It wouldn't be hard for a Geladynian scientist to get their hands on an overabundance of Snakemen remains in order to create new batches of homunculi. And the project could've been shut down for all manner of reasons after Slurm's creation, thus why there are no other Homunculi alive like Slurm is today.

Slurm's appearance itself could be easily explained as an excess of Snakemen remains in his creation, giving him a more monster-like appearance than most Chimera. I also plan to make Slurm's build heavily based around poison and its affects to properly reflect his Snakemen origins.

An image for reference:[Image: Kobold02.png]
We apologise for having you wait as long as you have for this response, unfortunately the answer is no.

While chimera can be more monstrous than any other race, they are still inherently humanoid. A chimera is made up more so of their mud shell than they are the monster parts they are made of and consume. This is way too far in the direction of a monster and far too serpentine to feasibly be a homunculi. You may get away with multiple patches of scales, serpentine eyes, fangs, snake tongue, etc. But the body needs to be predominantly humanoid and fleshy.

If you'd like to backpedal on the extremeness of Slurm's lizard-like appearance, that can be discussed. However in its current state this needs to be denied.
THANK YOU. For the response.

I'm sad that the request got denied, sure. But now I don't have to wait! Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be making the character without this appearance, so Slurm will not be arriving to Korvara. The design being so inhuman was a part of what made Slurm what they are. Perhaps, they are still down there in the sewers, forever. Or not, depending on if it ever gets added as a full area. We'll never know...

Thanks again, though! Sorry for making a request that led to such debates or questioning. I know you guys have a lot on your plates, and I'm sure this didn't help.
(08-31-2023, 04:34 PM)Eggyboi Wrote: THANK YOU. For the response.

I'm sad that the request got denied, sure. But now I don't have to wait! Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be making the character without this appearance, so Slurm will not be arriving to Korvara. The design being so inhuman was a part of what made Slurm what they are. Perhaps, they are still down there in the sewers, forever. Or not, depending on if it ever gets added as a full area. We'll never know...

Thanks again, though! Sorry for making a request that led to such debates or questioning. I know you guys have a lot on your plates, and I'm sure this didn't help.
I should be the one apologising it took this long to get to you.

Alas, Slurm is better fit for a D&D or Pathfinder game than Korvara's current lore system and world unfortunately. We'll try to get a response back to you in a more timely manner in the event you make another application.