Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Witness true strength
Alright it's time to open this can of worms. Would like strength as a stat to apply .5 crit damage per point. I know most of you would agree this makes full sense and has honestly very little going against it given it's 100% possible to scale a strength weapon with like 60 strength, have 50-60 skill, 40-50 luck, and then tack on whatever last stats you have among defenses, but when you factor in guile, you miss something necessary suddenly and now feel entirely inferior for it, wether its actual scaling on your crits or some defensive stat. Its time for that to end. This change will allow strength scaling weapons to actually feel worth using again that arent just axes or excel.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
The problem with this suggestion and why I haven't made it already is mostly what you've already detailed, Axes and Excel. I think flat crit damage would be a great thing for strength personally, maybe I'd stick it at 1 per 3 points instead of 2 just so it doesn't get out of hand.
Axes are eggregious when built for any way you cut it. If we do this then maybe axes need toning down to compensate.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
(09-06-2023, 10:26 PM)Autumn Wrote: The problem with this suggestion and why I haven't made it already is mostly what you've already detailed, Axes and Excel. I think flat crit damage would be a great thing for strength personally, maybe I'd stick it at 1 per 3 points instead of 2 just so it doesn't get out of hand.
I sorta disagree with this since imo it doesn't really do much for STR critting other than cementing it's ground further in matchups it already does well in. Critting is already somewhat fine enough as is when it manages to succeed.

The problem is mostly CE- Which this'd fall flat just as much against. And as I've stated a lot, I don't really enjoy mechanics that further already existing gaps between matchups, just 'win-more'types of situations that imo make the PVP environment not that enjoyable in some scenarios.
066: Birth of the Robot Emperor
You can't add this to the game while excel parashu exists. It would become ridiculously dominant.

In my opinion there is no need for this. Instead I would suggest that base crit damage become 120 or 125 across the board instead of 110. This would mean you can actually play crit with any weapon, but guile will still be superior in crit damage. Axes will take a hit but they're still going to be the best strength critters.

In the end you can't look at a stat in a vaccum. Strength is more than the sum of its parts, because you have to factor in gear, classes, racials, and what builds use strength and how they would be affected. You have to consider two-hand, you have to consider fleur, etc. I think there's no need to add this to strength, it's something that was brought up before but it's just not necessary and it would also dilute the differences between the different stats.

I would rather have guile get other stuff than just crit damage instead tbh
(09-07-2023, 03:30 PM)Poruku Wrote: You can't add this to the game while excel parashu exists. It would become ridiculously dominant.

In my opinion there is no need for this. Instead I would suggest that base crit damage become 120 or 125 across the board instead of 110. This would mean you can actually play crit with any weapon, but guile will still be superior in crit damage. Axes will take a hit but they're still going to be the best strength critters.

In the end you can't look at a stat in a vaccum. Strength is more than the sum of its parts, because you have to factor in gear, classes, racials, and what builds use strength and how they would be affected. You have to consider two-hand, you have to consider fleur, etc. I think there's no need to add this to strength, it's something that was brought up before but it's just not necessary and it would also dilute the differences between the different stats.

I would rather have guile get other stuff than just crit damage instead tbh
I feel like Guile already has way enough as is, especially when you account for the fact it's a stat that weapons scale from and typically make use out of really well

Once again, this isn't about critical damage, but mostly getting your entire character  denied the moment someone decided to invest some points in FAI and get the funny Boner enchant
066: Birth of the Robot Emperor
Guile does a lot as a stat and I don't understand how you could think it only amounts to being critical damage when it provides a fair chunk of hit even without full flanking bonuses. Adding flat critical damage in particular to STR wouldn't help much either, flat crit damage mods currently aren't affected by your critical modifier and as Ray has personally pointed out, this only amplifies what they're already good at rather than addressing the main issue with the archetype.

If you're worried about excel and parashu as a result of adding critical damage to strength... then to be perfectly frank, you should be worried about it now. Changing strength is just going to adjust the lower and upper end of the spectrum to the same degree and if the upper end is egregious, it would need to be adjusted.

That said, I personally think 0.5 crit chance for 1 strength is a bit more fair of a suggestion really, it gives the archetype of strength hitting crit-based builds more stat leeway to work with than just arbitrarily raising their numbers higher; stat leeway has always been the #1 biggest issue with these builds since more often than not, they simply cannot afford the stats they need and have to make sacrifices more than most.
I think the other option was letting you ignore 25% of your STR of your enemy's armor.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
(09-07-2023, 08:04 PM)Miller Wrote: Guile does a lot as a stat and I don't understand how you could think it only amounts to being critical damage when it provides a fair chunk of hit even without full flanking bonuses. Adding flat critical damage in particular to STR wouldn't help much either, flat crit damage mods currently aren't affected by your critical modifier and as Ray has personally pointed out, this only amplifies what they're already good at rather than addressing the main issue with the archetype.

If you're worried about excel and parashu as a result of adding critical damage to strength... then to be perfectly frank, you should be worried about it now. Changing strength is just going to adjust the lower and upper end of the spectrum to the same degree and if the upper end is egregious, it would need to be adjusted.

That said, I personally think 0.5 crit chance for 1 strength is a bit more fair of a suggestion really, it gives the archetype of strength hitting crit-based builds more stat leeway to work with than just arbitrarily raising their numbers higher; stat leeway has always been the #1 biggest issue with these builds since more often than not, they simply cannot afford the stats they need and have to make sacrifices more than most.

Yea Miller has posted what I harp on all the time for.
.5 crit chance fixes the issue much more than crit damage.
The issue isn't strength though, it's CE. Just nerf CE, it should be a premium stat. 0.5 from luc and fai and we're good