Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elemental Oil
Arbalest's Accelerant is omni-elemental which is awesome, but the triggering factor, Oil Chain, is locked entirely into being fire damage. This is... counter-intuitive, and prevents the class from being truly coherent in terms of elemental specialization for anything other than fire.

It doesn't seem unfeasible for this to change.

Functionally (please correct me if I'm wrong) the fire tiles left by Oil Chain are identical to Cinder tiles. Why not ditch the flames for Cinders, then add elemental impact functionality? Ice sheets, Air Shafts for wind, Static Fields for lightning, with poor earth left with a tossup between rocks and flowers.

Alternatively, simply have Accelerant and Oil Chain share the same criteria for typing, keeping the flames and maybe making their colouration obvious as to what element they'll deal.
number 1 GTer EU
This, and functionally changing the base scaling from 100% str to 100% elemental attack
I mean, how is it counter intuitive? It's oil burning. Changing it to another element would be some kind of weird magic, doesn't sound like it makes much sense to me.

That being said, I'm always down for more elemental impacts, but I think buster cannon is a more obvious candidate. Oil chain could use some kind of buff instead.
(09-22-2023, 03:56 PM)Poruku Wrote: I mean, how is it counter intuitive? It's oil burning. Changing it to another element would be some kind of weird magic, doesn't sound like it makes much sense to me.

That being said, I'm always down for more elemental impacts, but I think buster cannon is a more obvious candidate. Oil chain could use some kind of buff instead.
theres already a passive that magically (in the description) changes the element....this just  changes the tiles to match the on hit buff.
(09-22-2023, 03:56 PM)Poruku Wrote: I mean, how is it counter intuitive? It's oil burning. Changing it to another element would be some kind of weird magic, doesn't sound like it makes much sense to me.

Accelerant is any element. That's counter-intuitive. You burn regular oil but somehow end up shooting ice out of your gun/bow afterwards.

SL2's setting is surely accommodating of such things as alchemical concoctions that trigger endothermic reactions, thereby creating ice, or something that ends up creating gusts of wind, the rapid formation of rock or magnetic energy, or electricity, surely? So Accelerants oddities aside, I don't really think the point of "weird magic" works.
number 1 GTer EU
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamOfBoy's post:
  • Miller
Jam is right here, its already halfway through and some consistency should be present, one way or another, I'm sure people can fluff it to make sense in some ways same as firebird.
Ah yeah my bad guys