Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The use of One-Hand Trait
Let's face it. People are only taking those for the mechanical advantages, and demanding others to omit the fact they don't have a hand.

There's no solution to this problem, unless there are notable drawbacks for using them, even when they're being optimally used. For example.

One-Hand in particular could fully disable your gloves slot, make it be forcefully unequipped once combat starts. We have the system for that now. People pick that when they're using weapons that don't benefit from Two-Hand Talent, which are for the most part, Tomes, Guns and Bows. This thing could be made into an actual drawback with no benefits and you'd see more sensitive use of that.

Either that, or just... I don't know. Change this trait into "One-Hand Mastery", which doesn't goddamn cut off your hand but lets you still have your boons to Hit. Whichever is more agreeable at this point, because ultimately, I don't think this is being used in good faith by people, from the amount of mages I tend to see, once clicking their profiles, that they're 'missing one hand'.

Instead of a Trait, this should be a thing in the Profile where you can write your injuries there, like an extra tab or button for 'Health'.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Snake's post:
  • MothEnthusiast, Tana
Making mechanical advantages for fluff based character traits will never end well; nor would branding them obviously to shame whichever ne'er-do-well wants said mechanical advantages. If someone wants to be roleplay being physically disabled, they will not do so because of mechanics or whatever minor stat boosts it gives.

Such traits should be either wholly negative, or at the very least not make themselves an inherent issue as presented-- ie, no watermark in the equipment section, etc etc.
[Video: https://youtu.be/dUTH39_YaFk]
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/4.../Goose.png

[Image: unknown.png]

DEV: Don't use such large images in your signature.

[Image: ff1cbab38842243c0634bf0ebaf4264f.jpg]
[-] The following 5 users Like FatherCrixius's post:
  • Balor, Imotepchief, MothEnthusiast, Tana, Toffee
What? Of course there's a solution to that problem.

It was explicitly made to show 'this character has one hand' when viewing equipment to prevent people taking this solely for the mechanical benefit without actually roleplaying the fact.

If people are 'demanding others to omit the fact they don't have a hand'? Report it to the GMs if they refuse to take off the trait when it's pointed out they can't just take the trait for its mechanical benefit.

While it is a bit strange only One Handed gets this sort of treatment, it is a rather major aspect of a character whereas most other traits are things that are more subtle or pertaining to personality that's harder to objectively pass judgement on. Whether someone has a hand or not is rather objective.

EDIT: Yeah I agree with the cool guy above me. It is pretty weird to give such a powerful benefit (+5 base hit) for chopping your hand off if your build is optimal to make use of it, though that's a whole 'nother argument. Hopefully we don't get anymore traits like this that encourage munchkinning to a degree where you're tailoring your backstory for more powerful stats.
[-] The following 3 users Like Trexmaster's post:
  • Imotepchief, Salsaccino, Toffee
I’d like to add that if the trait will be more enforced, there won’t be less people taking the trait. There will just be an influx of people with only one hand. This would be similar to how some Mitadake-style games had character disabilities refund points back for the purpose of spending on more character buffs, leading to school settings where 90% of characters are disabled. Not that this is inherently a bad thing, just that it’s a result of stricter enforcement would entail- half the people you could meet with would just be missing a hand.
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Sawrock's post:
  • Imotepchief, Toffee
Doesn't it put like red text saying the character is missing a hand or something? Or did I dream that? Would definitely make sense to simply enforce it ICly. Like, if you're missing a hand, make the profile say you're missing a hand. Simple enough
[-] The following 1 user Likes Poruku's post:
  • Toffee
(03-01-2024, 09:05 PM)Sawrock Wrote: I’d like to add that if the trait will be more enforced, there won’t be less people taking the trait. There will just be an influx of people with only one hand. This would be similar to how some Mitadake-style games had character disabilities refund points back for the purpose of spending on more character buffs, leading to school settings where 90% of characters are disabled. Not that this is inherently a bad thing, just that it’s a result of stricter enforcement would entail- half the people you could meet with would just be missing a hand.

Even if this should be the case, which it likely will, there's no way to successfully implement it for both crowds of "Wanting it for the IC" and wanting it for a unique mechanical benefit of some kind, if one hand came with a stronger downside than "Sometimes you can't 2hand/dual wield" like say idk, -5 SWA cause your weapon balance is off, then people would consider the downside a bit more harshly.

Either way I think its a tough call, +5 hit is very miniscule at the end of the day, and if it was anything but hit, nobody would care and it'd be a simple flavor trait, hit rate is just that important to some people.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Autumn's post:
  • Toffee
Eh, I don't necessarily see a problem, how many people have blind-fighting and don't have the IC to back it up, or how many people take a history trait for the actual history of their character rather than for the stats that benefit their current build, or are an actual Masseuse (instead of just passively farming youkai friendship).

Is everyone on Korvara utterly sentimental about their weapon just because almost everyone takes that trait?

I'm with Sawrock on this one, I think enforcing IC on mechanical advantages of most traits will just lead to more people trying to fit all these things in to their character backstory.
[-] The following 5 users Like zericosmic's post:
  • Balor, Imotepchief, MothEnthusiast, Sawrock, Toffee
(03-02-2024, 12:04 AM)zericosmic Wrote: Eh, I don't necessarily see a problem, how many people have blind-fighting and don't have the IC to back it up, or how many people take a history trait for the actual history of their character rather than for the stats that benefit their current build, or are an actual Masseuse (instead of just passively farming youkai friendship).

Is everyone on Korvara utterly sentimental about their weapon just because almost everyone takes that trait?

I'm with Sawrock on this one, I think enforcing IC on mechanical advantages of most traits will just lead to more people trying to fit all these things in to their character backstory.
Idk about you...

But Zach's a Spellblade, who's attached to his Halberd, a food snob (for anything Telegradian Cuisine), has a mana battery for constant replenishment, stability and dies hard, whilst also having a massively burned body and a sixth sense due to his ability to keen hear Really Good that lets him fight without sight.

He also plays music for the ghosties, exagerates stories, loves him some meat (In a not gay way), has explosive revive skills and turns the skies red whilst also being a bit of a sadist and enjoying harming people. He is one with Nature, a Mercenary Song Writer, and a Smasher.

But seriously though. I dislike the One Handed trait, simply because it's in this spot where people used to take it without being ostracized for it (Sword and Board builds have 0 reason NOT to take this! Same for tome users who can't 2h!) Then it got 'fixed' to show it on your profile.

I just kind of wish it was renamed to something else, or reworked into a talent for 'When wielding only one weapon and not two-handing, then...' There are a few fighting styles IRL that have the individual in question tuck their hand behind them or close to their body for more agile fighting and limiting 'target' area. Fencing is one such style.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rendar's post:
  • MothEnthusiast
Yeah I think renaming it to "duelist", "fencer" or "One handed fighter" would be better.
[-] The following 3 users Like zericosmic's post:
  • Balor, Mewni, Miller
(03-02-2024, 01:08 AM)zericosmic Wrote: Yeah I think renaming it to "duelist", "fencer" or "One handed fighter" would be better.

One Handed Fighter is probably a far better change, making it vague similarly to Blind Fighting instead of a explicit statement, that way the trait's text on your character menu can be removed with 0 issue, its just assumed if you meet the requirements you have it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Autumn's post:
  • MothEnthusiast