Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Movement Toggle for Korvara
(03-05-2024, 02:22 AM)matthewmwps Wrote: I like the idea of this being something in event stages, but I think ONLY for event stages. To me it's simply too clumbersome, easy to abuse and/or unfriendly in the overworld and even dungeons.

Event stages are perfect because they're small scale and meant to focus on roleplay, which is what this should be used for.

I'm curious to the ways in which this is cumbersome/easy to abuse/unfriendly, given it's something that exists off of Korvara. It was/is used for the sake of people moving around, say, town, without looking awkward. Everyone could split up, sell their junk, bank, inn, etc. without having to conga line. It also meant they could RP in more naturalistic ways before heading out.

It's not as though you can use it without everyone being on the same screen.
(03-05-2024, 04:34 AM)Tana Wrote:
(03-05-2024, 02:22 AM)matthewmwps Wrote: I like the idea of this being something in event stages, but I think ONLY for event stages. To me it's simply too clumbersome, easy to abuse and/or unfriendly in the overworld and even dungeons.

Event stages are perfect because they're small scale and meant to focus on roleplay, which is what this should be used for.

I'm curious to the ways in which this is cumbersome/easy to abuse/unfriendly, given it's something that exists off of Korvara. It was/is used for the sake of people moving around, say, town, without looking awkward. Everyone could split up, sell their junk, bank, inn, etc. without having to conga line. It also meant they could RP in more naturalistic ways before heading out.

It's not as though you can use it without everyone being on the same screen.

Granted my only exposure to this is the little bit I was on G6 after Korvara was well establlished, but if it's 1:1 with how it's implimented from there then I have a few issues.

The biggest one is that unlike G6 which has its overworld, Korvara is a just big map with multiple screens. To move between 'scenes' your entire party must be close, so It's great when you're sticking in one spot and not leaving there for a while like a house or as you suggested a town. But when travelling its tedious. It also defaults to free movement when you're in 'zoomed mode' (aka any state in Korvara) which means the leader has to manually turn it back off each time. 

There's also the obvious concern of monsters, since it will start an encounter if anyone in the party bumps into one.
The defaulting-to-free-movement is exactly what I do not want back. That is more annoying than convenient. A good example is what happens when you go from Overworld -> City, it automatically sets you to Free Movement. That is a no-no.

Specifically I'm requesting this, no more, no less:

- Being able to press 'Toggle Party Movement' on the HUD, next to the Coin Flip button, and allow people to freely move despite being in a party, in Korvara.

- Ideally, Free Movement and its toggle should not work in dungeons by default, but I'm hesitant to boldly request this solely due to how Duyuei's events tend to happen solely in one dungeon, the Wastes or Deep Wastes. So, if a tweak of this system is possible, fix the problems we had back in G6 regarding abusing this mechanic. While Free Movement is enabled, should make it so only the Party Leader can OPEN chests or get aggro'd from monsters, for obvious reasons.

- To change from one map to another, the Party must be at least within 6 range of each other. Everybody will be then put back into the Party Mode and then transported to the next map. This is another nuisance of the system in G6, where you need to reform the party from Free Movement, THEN change maps. Please automatize this, we got the technology.

- Party Members should be capable of toggling their own movement mode, rather than all being left for the Party Leader or affect the entirety of the party every time that button is pressed. So they can break out of the formation, or rejoin the formation on their own will after concluding their business. This, is basically where I see people leaving parties the most, before going 'reinvite me pls'. This could be made automatic.

- If above is implemented, it means that if you wander off from the party leader, you will be automatically kicked out from the party. And vice versa, if the party leader wanders off and you're left behind, you're outtie.

The idea/spirit of it:

- Free Movement should be used for roleplay situations where the party is not in a conga line, such as taking a short rest, investigating during events, or properly visually positioning themselves in a specific area they would want to be represented on.

Opinion:

- I don't think this should be limited to event stages. It should be polished to be more robust and 'final'. It's a good time investment if chosen to be developed just a little more, and will definitely make the game a little more RP friendly. Not all IC situations where you're in a party means you need to strictly be dancing Conga Conga Conga!~ with your lads.

Is there any more clarification/questions regarding it?
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snake's post:
  • sirtrex
Why would it be limited to event spaces? If your party leader is toggling it at random moments and can't make the party behave cause they're going all over the place while you're trying to travel it's 100% on them tbh
[-] The following 1 user Likes Poruku's post:
  • Snake
(03-06-2024, 01:19 AM)Poruku Wrote: Why would it be limited to event spaces? If your party leader is toggling it at random moments and can't make the party behave cause they're going all over the place while you're trying to travel it's 100% on them tbh
I think the ideas that each party member controls when they free move or not, but if they get too far away, they get kicked out of the party automatically.

That still doesn't make it something that could be bound only to event spaces though. It could get alot of use in them, but the option to use it seems like a net positive in most situations. Unless the person is dumb enough to wander off or goes AFK at least.

Perhaps a mixed strategy where a party leader has 3 options.
    Tight Formation: no free movement 
    Loose Formation: Free movement togglable by party members. Members allowed to wander within X distance of party lead.
    Open Formation: All party members are free move anywhere by default until the party leader changes the settings, but if a member moves beyond X range of a party lead they get autokicked.

Makes things a bit more complex, but doesn't seem that unworkable. At least from the player control side. Not sure how the game's code can handle it though.