Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kensei- Blade Barrier
Since its only a 1 per round thing now, can we maybe buff it a little bit to add more than just guns to it?

I was thinking:
-Shuriken (cause shurikens are getting pretty op with little to no Counterplay)
-Arrows (If you have Protection of Arrows too, same as Eviter.)

I think that be fine enough and makes sense. All my Anime boys block dem shurikens with a blade!
A swordsman being able to block supersonic bullets? Of course.

A swordsman being able to stop shurikens that are larger, fly slower, and carry elemental payloads? https://youtu.be/ztVMib1T4T4?si=QfzJzkZtB4GCXeS1

Shurikens are kind of busted though, as long as its only one per round I think this could work.
While incredibly frustrating to fight if you don't have that option, I think it deserves mention that Shuriken have counterplay in the form of status resist.
This would be extremely powerful. Negating an entire attack each round is huge, and it already makes the excel sniper matchup an auto-win for kensei. I dunno, I guess it wouldn't break the game to add shuriken to the list, but arrows too? That'd be big. Though, bow users have a bit better tools to handle it, in flip shot
(03-13-2024, 03:48 PM)Poruku Wrote: This would be extremely powerful. Negating an entire attack each round is huge, and it already makes the excel sniper matchup an auto-win for kensei. I dunno, I guess it wouldn't break the game to add shuriken to the list, but arrows too? That'd be big. Though, bow users have a bit better tools to handle it, in flip shot
Nah bro flip shot got kneecapped that shit got a fuckmillion turn cooldown now. The only actually scary bow these days can be parried, since it's a sword.

Really don't need to beat up ranger anymore rn.
I think Ranger is one of the stronger classes in the game right now but definitely doesn't deserve any nerf bats, if anything the bow choices need a loooooot of attention, its fine where it is, but even in it's current state, Blade Barrier is pretty solid into the gun matchup just nearly entirely, its impossible to win in certain scenarios vs someone who knows how best to abuse blade barrier.

Blade Barrier is cheap, effective at what it does, and is kind of a 1 point wonder if nothing else, I don't think it needs to affect other ranged weapon types, not when Kensei + any MA, especially Boxer already fulfills the purpose of being annoying to fight for almost all ranged weaponry, to explain how:

-Dodge is pretty good versus daggers generally, and pretty good versus weapons that start to get ranges where farshot kicks their ass.
-Blade Barrier forces gunners into some really shit scenarios, especially with proper spacing
-Eviter + Protection from arrows will cover every bow and force them into less than ideal scenarios as well.
Maybe instead of blocking the attack completely once per round, the barrier provides a boost to evade for the first projectile attack the kensei recieves. per round. This gives the Kensei a bit more survivability, but doesn't entirely negate an attack each turn.

Alternatively, the barrier could just cause attacks from non-bullets to glance.

Another idea i had was to allow a kensei to get additional charges for the ability by spending momentum. That way the kensei could choose to tank projectiles jedi style at the expense of not being able to perform other actions.
I would be down to make it tied to a buff you have to spend momentum on, with the upside of letting it work on more than just bullets. It would make the excel sniper matchup less painful, and make it an overall more useful skill to get.

Also making Kensei better against certain builds isn't really going to be that much of a nerf. Kensei is solid at the moment, but not dominant. Giving them a tool to handle ranged attackers makes perfect sense for the class overall, one of their biggest weakness is to kiting.
Bullet barrier becomes a stance, while active you can only use stamdard movement and negates all bonuses above standard tile range but you deflect all projectile attacks from the front. You cannot perform other actions whilst in this stance outside ending turn, movement or disabling the stance which refunds momentum. Initial activation of the stance costs 6+ momentum and every projectile you deflect grants a stacking buff that causes your next basic attack to deal increased damage up to 5 times for 5*10 damage.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
My thinking regarding the Shuriken was, that most of the time its gonna be used on Twin Dancing anyway, So you are more than likely still getting kneecapped by the Knockdown spam.

Just means you also do not take full damage. I understand the Ranger argument though, it was more of an afterthought and I assume if you tie it to a Kensei/MA specifically its not THAT bad, probably still ruins the Rangers day more than the Shuriken users. Shuriken I just think makes sense for it, cause weeb-stuff Samurai versus Ninja, and its not going to be handicapped THAT badly by it.

I think hitting with Shuriken even from a distance is fairly easy, when you run it with any sort of hit-buffs(Me in particular got a little annoyed by a Corbie/Bonder, who just nuked my turns and health bar from the other side of the field very reliably even against a buff cap, but this change would change nothing about me still eating that with nothing to do against it, as I was a ST/Ghost on that set up) even from 11 tiles away. I wasn't even running Kensei I just thought "Hey, that might be cool to give it a little edge over Ghost", but am not particularly invested in the idea. Kensei just suffers a bit in its survival-strength though admittedly, thats not going to change that fact either.

I just probably tried to convince myself for more reasons to go Kensei over Ghost. Kensei is not horrible, Ghost is just most of the time better and more versatile.