Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's bring some LORE to Korvara!
I wanna talk about the lore of certain core game elements that is simply missing in Korvara.

RACES
Most notably, races. All of the lore related to races in the game is of course tied to... The Great Six. Kaelensia are tied to the great beasts of Egwyn, Zerans worship their god in bone temples, we got papilions who come from a specific forest in the world, etc etc, and all manner of god-related races.

The following races have lore in Korvara:
- Naga
- Shaitan, Umbral, Theno, Oracle. 
- Elves
- Reaper and Apertaurus
- Omina. 
- Doriad

The following races have unclear lore:
Redtails. They're tied to amiras, but also the "great fox spirit" probably wasn't in korvara.
- Wyverntouched? I guess wyverns exist, despite never being seen or mentioned. In g6 we had some lore about wyverns living in Alstalsia. 
- Papilions are kinda nebulous but at least you can rp them as coming from a random forest similar to mechana.

Races that have NO LORE:
- Every Kaelensia
- Glykin
- Hyattr

Races that were removed from the game because no lore(???):
- Vampire
- Zeran
- Lich
- Dullahan (There's literally no lore reason they're not here, other than dev not wanting immortal chars. Which feels kinda weird when mad dullahans exist... Why can't we just have young dullahans?...)

All we need is some blurbs explaining the korvara lore of these races. For instance, the god-related races could be born in Korvara from the gods as well, even though the influence is faint and distant. Just give us some sort of lore that can even be a copy paste of what happened in G6.

Something we could do is have race lore that is specific to Korvara in the race selection menu. Ultimately, having some proper official lore in game would go a long way to help people have more fleshed out backstories and a stronger race identity.

CLASSES
So there are a few classes in the game that are extremely specific in lore, and it's really weird. In G6, you could occasionally roleplay your class as part of your character and backstory. In Korvara, it's kinda just a thing you're doing.

The following classes are G6-specific:
- Kensei
- Black Knight
- Verglas

The following classes have lore that is weird in Korvara:
- Engineer (We have autonomous robots with tank threads and flying helicopter blares that people from anywhere can create. It puts the technological level of the world into question)
- Magic Gunner (No Karaten)
- Priest (No gods!)

These classes have their own Korvara lore (Very nice!!!):
- Demon Hunter
- Shifter
- Rune Magician

If we got a small amount of lore for that is specific to Korvara, even a small explanation of what it means here, it could really help bring a bit more meat to some characters. Especially something like Kensei!

Here's some Examples:

Kael
There were ancient animal spirits that blessed populations. Could be essentially echoes of the great beasts. Maybe the beasts visited korvara before recorded history.

Glykin
Can be the same thing as G6. People were sick, and they got healed. But in their case it was the intervention of mythical golden snakes that appeared, and now it's a creature of legend.

Vampire
Can just be same lore as G6 but without the op misting, and have them be born from an ancient cursed artefact instead of Huggessoa directly.

Kensei
There was an ancient samurai order that acted as mercenaries for the nations, and now their order is dissolved and lost to time but the techniques and the culture of self-improvement and mastery of the blade has persisted. I also think it would be nice if there was the korvara version of oniga in lore, even if it's nothing but ruins.

Verglas
We have an arctic area with an ancient civilization. We could absolutely say that there were tribes who used that type of martial art.

BK
Just make black wind a technique that is obtained after harsh soldier training. Instead of being nation-specific, it could be like something that awakens in you. The power to impose yourself and protect others, when your conviction is strong enough. The mind of steel and body of steel manifesting that power through sheer will and ability to influence the world.

Anyway, I know Dev might have some things planned for the future, like reveals or something maybe, but I just think it's a real shame. I mean it's gonna be 2 years and we still have no vampires or Kael lore...

And to those thinking "well just put that in a lore doc", the lore that nations write down is definitely not something everyone reads or agrees on. You can't just have one nation claim lore that is so central to the game. We just need Dev to make simple lore that we can work with and expand upon.
[-] The following 2 users Like Poruku's post:
  • Ray2064, sirtrex
Some classes that have been mentioned to not have lore do indeed have lore in their respective lore documents. (Engineer and Magic Gunner for Meiaquar, Kensei and Priest for Duyuei.) While these are not absolute definitions and people can flavor their classes in however they see fit, it's probably the way I'd like for classes to have lore in a player-driven environment. If someone does not read the lore document then that's on them and if they do not agree with, they, again, can flavor in however they see fit. People haven't 100% followed the lore of classes in G6 and it won't be different in Korvara.

I think the same can maybe apply to races, if people who take care of nations reach out to give ideas to Dev for approval and eventually add it to the document unless Dev states otherwise.
Disagree with the notion that Dev needs to make all the lore regarding these things, and that it's core to the game and thus should not have written standing within a nation.

You're free to interpret lore in your own ways within reason, within sensible assumption or interpretation, but this island is for the players, and making it so that Dev has to write the lore for anyone to consider it valid goes against it. We don't need to go back to the times where you'd wait a month or more for answers to certain questions just because a few people don't consider nation lore valid, and won't flavour things for themselves otherwise. That's them denying themselves the agency they've been given, not a major issue.
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity
[-] The following 1 user Likes WaifuApple's post:
  • sirtrex
I think Papilions will have a more meaningful and cool way to come into existence, once my secret plans are set in motion and I can handshake with enough people about it.

If the problem is information, we can always try to have a sect in the Wiki about Korvara's spins on it.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[Image: z5qiCGM.png]
Soon™..
[-] The following 13 users Like Maya's post:
  • Balor, Cogster, Collector, Entropy, Frozen, Ham, Imotepchief, Mikazuki112, sirtrex, Snake, the homestuck man himself, Toffee, Trexmaster
(03-14-2024, 08:12 PM)WaifuApple Wrote: You're free to interpret lore in your own ways within reason, within sensible assumption or interpretation, but this island is for the players, and making it so that Dev has to write the lore for anyone to consider it valid goes against it.
The problem isn't validity, it's that it's not a very good system for keeping everyone on the same page.

I had no idea Duyuei had Kensei lore, and when I mentioned it in chat at some point nobody told me that Duyuei has kensei lore, and I don't think it's the players' fault for not reading the lore document of every single nation to find lore about these things. If there's only 10% of players who know about the Duyuei Kensei lore, then you can expect that only 10% of players will be able to recognize that your character and rp is in accordance with that lore. Others will simply assume that you are making it up, which is just fine, but also it defeats the entire purpose of having lore in the first place. And having lore that we all know and understand IS important for keeping the world consistent and immersive. 

I don't really like the idea of putting 100% of the lore in the hands of players, I think it's a lot more productive to have simple core lore and then have players expand upon it. Just don't make it 100%, make it 95% players, and 5% core lore. If you have nothing to work with, then everyone kinda comes up with their own version of things. And even if they do become aware of lore that is in a lore doc, they might not like it, and choose to go another route. A big example of that specific phenomenon is the homonculus thing. There's a million rogue homonculi being made everywhere but in geladyne. In the early days, people cared about it and Gellyboys tried to reclaim the lone homonculus, but at some point, it's really just about how much people care to enforce the lore versus not. And that creates a disconnect sometimes when nobody cares about x thing except that one person who actually read the document.

Of course, there is some in-game lore on homonculus, but it's not present in the character creation screen. And new players definitely do not know about the lore documents until someone gives them a link, meaning they sometimes make characters that just don't align with the lore. This is not even the main issue with not having the lore in game though, because even old players don't always read the lore doc.

And even if you read the lore doc a while ago, maybe it changed. I don't wanna re-read docs to stay up to date with the lore of each nation. I'd wager most people kind of just play the game, and learn about lore from interacting with people who actually read the lore and are using it.

Just imagine what's gonna happen when we have some papilion lore. It's going to take a long time before word of that lore spreads around, and many players, even papilions, will simply not know about it, and keep roleplaying as if there's no specific forest and you just kinda come from Mechana 2 located somewhere in a random forest.

It's also kind of a pain to write lore and then have to get it approved by Dev, when instead Dev could simply write the lore that is actually important, and let us come up with the less crucial things. Having the actual korvara lore in-game, even just a blurb in character creation, would be really nice. Leave 95% of the lore in the hands of players, sure, but we need a common ground to anchor upon.

I feel like it's honestly overdue and just something we learned to not care about over time because we're used to it, but like... I can't be the only person who thinks that's not right. Again, it only needs to be a tiny bit of lore. Hell, if Dev could take the lore that players have written, take important bits and put them in game to make it official, that would be fantastic.
(03-14-2024, 11:13 PM)Maya Wrote: [Image: z5qiCGM.png]
Soon™..
Seems it's already in the works guys.
[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 8 users Like Balor's post:
  • Cogster, Collector, Ham, Maya, Mikazuki112, Snake, Toffee, Trexmaster
oh baby no what is you all doin...
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]