Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Save the system
These frequent crashes have made a number of things evident --

1) Not enough gameplay sources are readily saving the game. (see: player trades and inns)
2) Housing/DISCer progress are entirely under the server's control. (see: all your work before that last reboot resets)
3) They're interrupting the flow of RP/combat far more than anything else. (see: downtime lasting from one to several hours)

There are way too many methods to solve this issue. But please, try to critique with something other than 'but it'll be harder to find bugs' or 'it'll interrupt the flow'.

1) An hourly global save system. Hell, it can be mutually exclusive to reboots. Say the reboot timer is 12 hours, that would mean every hour until the eleventh prompts a global save. Knowing how things usually turn out, this might just crash the whole server unintentionally.

2) Independent Housing/DISCer and player save function. Leave it up to the players when to save their data and homes. If a crash occurs and they lose out, that would likely be their fault. You shouldn't need to be restricted to trades or inn runs to save your personal file, and relogging doesn't even work 100% of the time.

3) Simply cutting the reboot timer to 6 hours (if it isn't already). It was originally that to my knowledge, and the recent crashes have exceeded that standard.

4) All of the above. :geek:
Fully agree with everything here, really.

There's no excuse that house progress should be reliant on the reboot to save properly (I'd hope). Normally this isn't an issue but lately we've been crashing nigh every 12 hours if not sooner. Even if not for the crashes, being able to secure your work should be a no-brainer.
I agree with everything in the original post too.
[Image: Y8FFQj7.jpg]
^Mercala's Favorite Apparently
[Image: To2mAPS.png](heh)
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=6497#p6497 Wrote:Trexmaster » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:41 am[/url]"]Fully agree with everything here, really.

There's no excuse that house progress should be reliant on the reboot to save properly (I'd hope). Normally this isn't an issue but lately we've been crashing nigh every 12 hours if not sooner. Even if not for the crashes, being able to secure your work should be a no-brainer.

They don't. The only times they ever did it was a bug because they weren't unloading and that was fixed some updates ago.