Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Moved] Invention Application - Auxiliary Service Devices
(I'm only now realizing I put this in the Character Applications section and not regular applications. Oops! Sorry abt that. Nothing's actually changed, just put it in the right subforum.)

Applicable BYOND Key - WeezerFan69
Character Name - Scarlet Servo
Request Type - Invention
Request Details - A set of tentacle-like metal limbs on my character's back, built into a backpack. Unlike the equipment I started their character with, these tentacles are wholly Scarlet's inventions, not their creator's.

Specific Request - Four metallic tentacles, dubbed by Scarlet as the Auxiliary Service Devices, housed inside Scarlet's backpack, mainly used for grasping at items and holding things in place. The tentacles' graspers have significant grip strength for holding said projects in place, however the tentacle itself isn't any more stronger than a human arm, meaning they would be ineffective at actually harming somebody. The tentacles' graspers do have a range of movement not unlike the human wrist, allowing it to utilize tools such as wrenches, drills, and hammers (as in the old-timey drills you had to spin manually, obviously, not a power drill), however they lack the dexterity to effectively use most weapons. They could not effectively aim or fire any crossbow or firearm, Scarlet's hips and back are both already occupied meaning there's no place to put a quiver for a bow and arrow, they couldn't maintain proper edge alignment with a slashing weapon, and because of the shape of the graspers, they cannot hold stabbing weapons in any effective grip other than reverse grip. The only weapons they could realistically use effectively are improvised ones, which I have no intention of doing at this time; they exist purely as a service tool to add RP fluff Scarlet's engineering, mainly just being there so they that can grab materials or hold items in place, use several tools at once when making their screwed-up projects, and overall being cool as hell.

Reason why you are making this request (if applicable) - It's no secret that Scarlet is heavily inspired by the Adeptus Mechanicus from 40k. Scarlet's religion is based in technology, they switch between speaking like a robot and speaking all deep and philosophical-like on a dime, and they use a goddamn Skitarii Ranger as a playby. And I'm gonna be honest, mechadendrites are friggin cool. They're metal tentacle thingies that pop out of a crazy Martian techno-monk's back. That's the main reason I want em; they're friggin cool. Like other aspects of their character taken from the Mechanicus, I tried to add my own flavor to separate them from their inspiration; namely, them being ineffective for combat, and being stored in a backpack rather than physically grafted onto Scarlet.
Roleplay & Lore supporting your request - 

- Metallic prosthetics made from the synthesis of technology and magic exist, and have even been canonized in the game world through having icons of them added.

- Automatons can be controlled wirelessly, presumably through magic, it stands to reason similar inventions such as an auxiliary limb could as well.

- I've yet to begin roleplaying their creation; I wanted to get this application out first before I started to roleplay actually making them.

- Although I've refrained from making any explanation regarding how they actually work, as they are an inherently magical technology and as such I wanted to keep them esoteric, if you want me to come up with an explanation for how they function I am more than willing to.
[Image: orDF4cJ.jpg]