Poll: Which Solcharge gaining option do you like?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Option 1
16.67%
1 16.67%
Option 2
0%
0 0%
Option 3
0%
0 0%
All of the above!
33.33%
2 33.33%
I have my own ideas.
50.00%
3 50.00%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Solblader & Solcharges
Hello friends! Hoping to get some changes into Solblader to kick it up a bit and speed up their gameplay. If you have any ideas please toss 'em in here! Mainly I'll just be going over Solcharges for Solblader and putting through some ideas to gain them more easily.

So, in my opinion, Solblader in its current form is SLOW! Painfully slow, holy guacamole. I do think it's a good class in all honesty, it does a lot good, but it's so painfully slow if you want to use any of its utility spells at all. Let's take a normal class that has similar things- Mage and its augments.

For 3m they can give you whatever enchant + elemental attack, stats, and magic on-hit related to the element. Awesome! And then we take Holy Sword, costs 2 Solcharges, and for that it gives you +5 SWA, +5 Light ATK, extra damage on undead, 3 times per round 50% light atk on basic OR offensive skills- that is pretty good. And to get that you need essentially 6m, 3m to Solcharge, 3m to Holy Sword. The same with Holy Shield and Wings as well- essentially you need 6m to use any of your cool stuff. Lets look at other classes and their skills - Bards songs, 3m. Curate, 3m, just costs 3m to heal, same for priest. Graft, Invigoration, Quickness, Malmelo, Sanctuary- etc., you get it. No set up needed, just whip it out. Now lets take a look at a usual Solbladers turn.

Solbladers turn: Solcharge (3m), Solsphere (3m). 2nd turn - Solcharge (3m), Radiant Splendor to upgrade sphere (3m, 3 charges). 3rd turn - Solcharge (3m), Holy Shield or Sword or Wings (3m), 2 charges). It takes THREE turns basically to get your start-up on Solblader. On that 4th turn you have 4 charges now to play with at least and can start actually fighting- if you don't want to cast any of your other buffs (which you probably do). It just takes soooo long to get your class' skills off. Mind, you don't HAVE to do any of these things of course- but then you know.. why are you playing Solblader?

For another example- lets say you want to use Solblader's heal and you have a casting tool. 3m to Solsphere, 3m to Solcharge to gain enough charges for it- then you can finally heal, another 3m. You don't get the best heal of it, but it's something. You can also use Star Parade- but, guess what? It takes 3 solcharges! So you'd have to Solcharge, solcharge, star parade, heal. 2 turns to do a heal. Whoof. But it can get even worse!

Let's say you don't have a casting tool- you can get it from the class anyway, right? And let's say you want the bigger heal from it. What does it require?
Solcharge(3m), Solsphere (3m). 2nd turn - Solcharge (3m), Radiant Splendor (3m, takes 3 charges). 3rd turn - Solcharge (3m), Holy Sword (3m, takes 2 charges). 4th turn - Radiant Solace! (Takes 3 charges) Yippee! It takes 4 turns to get your big heal! It has to be worth it huh? Oh- Priest can Mass, Graft, and Malmelo- all in one turn? Oh..

And so, I think Solblader just needs more ways to gain Solcharges. Currently you have Solcharge- gain 1-3 charges for 1-3 momentum (has a 1 turn CD), Illuminating Sol - You start with 3 Solcharges IF you're monoclassed (lets be honest, no one is doing this). Or Sapping Sol - If someone is grappled or KD'd you can cure that, do 60 damage and gain 4 solcharges. But that bounces back to the first problem- to do either of those its going to cost 3 momentum, then another 3 to do this ability- you're taking a whole turn to get 4 solcharges. And finally, once per round, if you use a Mercalan spell from a NON-SOLBLADER class, use pray, or get a critical hit, you'll gain 1 solcharge. This requires classes outside of Solblader AND ones with Mercalan spells to get usage out of this. You can also crit too, which isn't a bad option to have. Just you know.. its gonna take 3 turns to get 3 solcharges out of this ability- IF you're getting use out of it. Outside of these- there is no way to gain Solcharges. We gotta fix that!

Options I'm putting forth - I think any of these are good to put in, maybe even ALL of them to be honest.

Option 1: Solcharging - Generate 1 solcharge a turn. Simple, easy, good.

Option 2: Solsphere and Holy Aura - Whenever you step into your Solsphere, gain 1 Solcharge. Simple, makes sense too- your sun sphere is charging you up. OR, and this may be a better option- whenever your Holy Aura is triggered, gain a Solcharge. Your heal can give you this, Radiant Surrender, and stepping into your Solsphere.

Option 3: Wall, Speed, and Flash of Light - For Wall of Light, whenever you Guard, Protect, or Parry, gain a Solcharge (limit to once a round). For Speed of Light, whenever you Evade or Glance, gain a Solcharge (limited to once a round). For Flash of Light, whenever you use a Mercalan based spell, gain a Solcharge (limited to once per turn).

I think all of those are great options and have 2, maybe all 3 of them in Solblader would be a good option. They go into the class' fantasy well and play right into its playstyle, fit right in to the class. There's counterplay (get someone away from their orb, dont evade on them, hit their parries or protects, silence them). And it opens up Solblader to just not having to sit there and Solcharge up the entire combat. They'll still probably want to do it on first turn, maybe later on if they need an emergency heal for example, but they won't be locked into it the entirety of combat to just be able to use their skills. Instead if they play well into their class, they'll be rewarded with Solcharges and be able to more frequently use their classes' abilities. Yay!

I hope that sounds good to you! If you have any ideas or criticisms please let me know. Thank you for taking the time to read this!
Yeah definitely would be amazing to get all three of those
[-] The following 2 users Like Poruku's post:
  • PossumParty, Snake
I think that the limitation on solcharges is there by design. Constantly shifting your orb next to or on top of someone would explode dodgies, and the power of Solblader is reigned in by those limitations.

Radiant Surrender is pretty mid, but Radiant Solace is the most powerful heal in the game on a soldier class, with the caveat of it requiring setup (that can be circumvented with Star Parade)

I think all none of these options are really something I'm on board with.
There may be other things Solblader could benefit from, but solcharges I think is fine.
[-] The following 3 users Like Caboozles's post:
  • Miller, MothEnthusiast, PantherPrincess
(07-09-2024, 11:56 PM)Caboozles Wrote: I think that the limitation on solcharges is there by design. Constantly shifting your orb next to or on top of someone would explode dodgies, and the power of Solblader is reigned in by those limitations.

Radiant Surrender is pretty mid, but Radiant Solace is the most powerful heal in the game on a soldier class, with the caveat of it requiring setup (that can be circumvented with Star Parade)

I think all none of these options are really something I'm on board with.
There may be other things Solblader could benefit from, but solcharges I think is fine.
I love Caboozy friend..

In my opinion, I don't think its one of the strongest heals in the game. It IS very strong and a good heal, but the set-up required to get that big heal is incredibly long, as it takes 3 turns to pull off, or 4 without a casting tool. All the others big heals in the game are just really good, with some niches and caveats. Graft with Detailed care is really massive and is almost equivalent to Solace. Solace is 150% Light scaling, +50% more heal with a big orb. Graft is 100% Light + an extra 25 and with detailed care, also gets that +50% (if they're next to you). In one turn you could simply Mass + Graft if nearby allies. If Not, Mass + Rescue + Graft. LB has 120% Light scaling on Phoenix - it revives people to boot. Does this take 3 turns to set up? No, its just 3m. Bwoop, revive and heal on command.

And sure, Solsphering with dodgies probably does suck. But honestly I don't see why you can't just do that anyway before this change? Bash is easy to do, day shift takes 1 charge and 1 momentum. Yestershift is 1 solcharge. And there's other options, like letting Solphere be evaded or glanced on. Give it great accuracy or whatever.
I think the only real issue I ever have with Solcharges is the cost associated with Holy Sword and Wings and the fact that in some cases, pressing Light Shine from a scroll over your Solblader spells is pretty optimal due to the +1 Solcharge you get for it.

My personal suggestions in order of what I think is better is:

1) Change Holy Sword and Holy Wings to 2m, this lets you recoup an extra Solcharge on the turn that you use it and enables synergy with movement options like crane hop.
1b) Alternatively change these buffs to be 1m or 0m; they already have an associated cost tied to a very valuable class mechanic.
2) Let Lux Relido give a Sol Charge on full cast.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Miller's post:
  • PossumParty
(07-10-2024, 12:14 AM)Miller Wrote: I think the only real issue I ever have with Solcharges is the cost associated with Holy Sword and Wings and the fact that in some cases, pressing Light Shine from a scroll over your Solblader spells is pretty optimal due to the +1 Solcharge you get for it.

My personal suggestions in order of what I think is better is:

1) Change Holy Sword and Holy Wings to 2m, this lets you recoup an extra Solcharge on the turn that you use it and enables synergy with movement options like crane hop.
1b) Alternatively change these buffs to be 1m or 0m; they already have an associated cost tied to a very valuable class mechanic.
2) Let Lux Relido give a Sol Charge on full cast.

I like 1B the most. Just make it 1M so that when you solcharge, you could get the buff right off the bat. Solblader is lot of setups. Here's the setup lineup with total momentum costs every actions:

3M - Solcharge
6M - Solsphere
End Turn -
9M - Empower Solsphere 
12M - Solcharge
End Turn -
15M - Holy Sword
18M - Either Mercala Spell, or another Solcharge. 
End Turn - 
21M - Holy Shield

You spent roughly 21 momentums having to do nothing but solcharging. Once everything is set up, you cycles Shinken and Bash to keep the buff duration going so you don't have to waste 3M to re-apply the buff. If we just reduce Holy Sword and Holy Shield to 1M. That would save us 4M worth of preparations. And allow us to spend less time messing around.

By making the buffs down to 1M. this could be new setup:

3M - Solcharge
6M - Solsphere
7M - Holy Shield
End Turn -
10M - Solcharge
13M - Empower Solsphere
14M - Bash
End Turn - 
17M - Solcharge
18M - Holy Sword

And then you're ready to go. Reducing the time you spent setting up by 1 round effectively.
[Image: XDo90hy.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Skullcatrons's post:
  • Miller, PossumParty
I mostly dislike how many solcharges you start with, but getting the buffs up can be a real pain too, at least Verglas has a momentum saving feature for it's setup, being that ice points cost less momentum when you have ice up already, giving some amount of thought into how you should do your setup to begin with.
[Image: zo2BdSr.pngp]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Autumn's post:
  • PossumParty
Frankly, the buff skills being 1m works.. Really well. Especially given their already inherent cost. It allows the class to weave stuff better...

The other issue is that Solcharging is always 3m, or available momentum. Even when such instances as a 2m Solcharge > Something Else > Something Else (or god forbid. 1m Solcharge to enable something > Thing > Other thing would be much.. much more flexible.

I'm not really sure how to help with that, though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rendar's post:
  • PossumParty
To be honest I'm still a bigger fan of generating Solcharges through gameplay- but I'll concede on that lowering the costs of the abilities are fine as well.

Allowing you to charge a certain amount of momentum for how many Solcharges you need with Solcharge would be nice too honestly, I've found myself just wanting 1 solcharge at the start of my turn, but I'd have to spend 3 momentum for it. Not sure what to do about that either, but if possible it'd be a nice option.
[-] The following 1 user Likes PossumParty's post:
  • Miller
no option to disagree, biased poll, this says a lot about society, etc